Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2023 12:13:10 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Looking for suggestions for a good handheld thermal monocular option for urban environments. Think SHTF situation.

A wide field of view would be necessary to scan for threats in a complex environment. Being lightweight, having removable batteries and long battery life are all preferred.

Is the Flir Breach still king in this arena? Seems like an older model now. Has anyone heard if they will come out with a 2.0? Does it have any worthy/newer competitors?

From TNVC
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327183/184776A3-D19D-4E36-9713-4B374060E4F7_jpe-2733417.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327183/834C899D-B6B8-4B80-8F96-9D12B29549F9_jpe-2733418.JPG

Looking for suggestions for a good handheld thermal monocular option for urban environments. Think SHTF situation.

A wide field of view would be necessary to scan for threats in a complex environment. Being lightweight, having removable batteries and long battery life are all preferred.

Is the Flir Breach still king in this arena? Seems like an older model now. Has anyone heard if they will come out with a 2.0? Does it have any worthy/newer competitors?

From TNVC
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327183/108C93AE-6517-4DEB-BB27-66FA2A5ADAD3_jpe-2733415.JPG

View Quote

Nox 35 is what I recently went with for similar reasons. (Not my video)
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:12:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Skeetirx
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Trijicon Skeet IRX for the win.  :). Love mine.  Here she is bridged to an UFWP L3 monster tubed 14.  Predator vision.

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Surprised no one has mentioned the Nox18.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#7]
When I had a breach a couple years ago, I tried using it in the city during a summer night when the asphalt was still a little warm. It couldn’t detect a human at 70 yards standing on asphalt. That was with me taking my time and adjusting the settings as perfectly as possible to that environment. The person standing in the street was essentially invisible/perfectly blended with the road. This is something that no other thermal I owned had an issue with.

IMHO whatever technology/algorithms are used for detection in the breach are the worst I’ve used. It’s for that reason I can’t recommend it for urban use, and I typically don’t even recommend it at all for anything.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Im not much of a photographer but here are some pics through my Flir OTM266 640 scanner. I wasn’t impressed and sold it. It didn’t seem to have the legs or resolution necessary to see in the places I wanted to look. I did like the battery options though.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:12:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Your budget is a big factor.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:40:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I went went with the nox 18.
I wanted a 1 power with a wide field of view I could use as a hand held or helmet mount.
One thing about watching a video is your seeing the vid on a big screen TV or computer monitor. Looking though the nox 18 your field of view is about 1/3 less then what you see out of a pvs14. The nox 18 has I think the widest field of view of the x1 thermals out there I believe.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Skeetirx
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Appreciate all the great info! Carefully going through all of this..

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk2Qkr8QSW4
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327183/184776A3-D19D-4E36-9713-4B374060E4F7_jpe-2733417.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327183/834C899D-B6B8-4B80-8F96-9D12B29549F9_jpe-2733418.JPG

From TNVC
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327183/108C93AE-6517-4DEB-BB27-66FA2A5ADAD3_jpe-2733415.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk2Qkr8QSW4

Have you had a chance to use it yet? Any dislikes?
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Have you all seen the Infiray T2 and T3? Seems like excellent quality for something that can disappear in your pocket. T2 is only $399 lol.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

InfiRay T3 Search Smartphone Thermal Monocular

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Have you had a chance to use it yet? Any dislikes?
View Quote

I’ve only had it for a day lol Looks great so far. Definitely better than my Reap IR.

The magnification seems about perfect for urban situations.

I’m concerned about distances that are “across the street” and “down the block” and “the other side of the parking lot” and “between those cars over there”. I don’t think I would want any less magnification.

If I needed to be outside in the dark in an urban setting, a pvs-14 and a 2x thermal would be my pick. (The nox is listed as a 2.5x but it is supposedly much closer to a 2x according to people who know about those things)

Very happy with this purchase, I think I found the right one for me.

I just stepped out on my front porch to get a pic for this post…it is very humid here, about to rain, I didn’t focus the lens very well and just fired the unit up and took a pic without letting it warm up or nucing it….which is to say this pic is not representative of how good it looks in person.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't get good pictures trying to hold phone to eye pieces and it's to much light tonight for the pvs 14, so I just took 1 quick shot.

This is to give you an idea of FOV with a x1 therm and x1 night vision. Notice the pvs 14 has a wider FOV then the therm. If you go to a unit with more native magnification you will lose FOV, but you gain detection distance.

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Kel did a review of the T2 on another forum and posted the YT video there:

t2 Pro Xinfrared Overview & Comparison: $7000 Thermal Scope vs. $400 Mini-cam!
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would look at some of the newer Iray offerings before I would buy a Breach this late in the game.

Flir hasn't made any changes to that platform in the six or more years it's been out. It's very finicky with CR123s.

I was out in the field this weekend hiking and camping, brought a Iray Mini and it was amazing. The V2 is coming out sometime in the next few months as well. The V1 blows the Breach away.
View Quote

Quoted:
Surprised no one has mentioned the Nox18.
View Quote

Looking at both of these too. The Iray Mini V2 has my attention at $4k.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OP, if you're wanting something for SHTF then I wouldn't buy something that needs a cell phone. My personal opinion is to get an American thermal that is 100% supported inside the USA.

Based on the current geopolitical climate I think most folks regardless of politics would agree that a conflict with communist China is increasingly becoming a VERY possible reality. To me that qualifies as a possible SHTF event.

This has been coming to a boil slowly for some time. Before it boils over, it's a legitimate possibility that these devices could end up with zero support from sanctions etc. We've already taken measures to seriously hinder chicom semiconductors. You may not be in a position financially to buy another thermal if that happens because if things do get to that point then odds are the economy will be totally fucked so you'll probably just have what you have.

If we're talking SHTF then this should be taken into consideration.
View Quote

Quoted:

This is spot on. Myself being in the defense sector for a long time before and with TNVC early on. We've geared up for this potential conflict for a long time with China. With the latest comment's from SHEE jin-PING, this coming future conflict has come the closest I have seen...
View Quote

Thanks for the feedback. With that in mind I’ll start focusing on the NOX 18 or 35.

I do have a Yoter C which is great for the medium/longer ranges. I am local to their CEO, Boris, and bought directly from him. Sounds like they fix their products here in the US but I’m sure they get their parts from China so that could be impacted as well.

I’ll probably pickup the Infiray T2 for fun at $399 too.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Copy. We also offer ARFCOM discounts as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, if you're wanting something for SHTF then I wouldn't buy something that needs a cell phone. My personal opinion is to get an American thermal that is 100% supported inside the USA.

Based on the current geopolitical climate I think most folks regardless of politics would agree that a conflict with communist China is increasingly becoming a VERY possible reality. To me that qualifies as a possible SHTF event.

This has been coming to a boil slowly for some time. Before it boils over, it's a legitimate possibility that these devices could end up with zero support from sanctions etc. We've already taken measures to seriously hinder chicom semiconductors. You may not be in a position financially to buy another thermal if that happens because if things do get to that point then odds are the economy will be totally fucked so you'll probably just have what you have.

If we're talking SHTF then this should be taken into consideration.

Quoted:

This is spot on. Myself being in the defense sector for a long time before and with TNVC early on. We've geared up for this potential conflict for a long time with China. With the latest comment's from SHEE jin-PING, this coming future conflict has come the closest I have seen...

Thanks for the feedback. With that in mind I’ll start focusing on the NOX 18 or 35.

I do have a Yoter C which is great for the medium/longer ranges. I am local to their CEO, Boris, and bought directly from him. Sounds like they fix their products here in the US but I’m sure they get their parts from China so that could be impacted as well.

I’ll probably pickup the Infiray T2 for fun at $399 too.

Copy. We also offer ARFCOM discounts as well.

I’ve purchased NV from you guys. You all hooked me up. May need another monocular and bridge them but I’ll save that for a different thread.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#29]
For urban/para-urban and city use, get a device with relatively large FOV. Why? because you rarely need to see long distance in these situations and its extremely important you can see several levels (building) in close proximity to your position.  Optimal situational awareness.  

But my NODs have a much larger field of view, so they must be better right?  Not necessarily, its important to be able to determine other factors e.g. that house, apartment is warm and therefore occupied or only three of the 20 cars we can see have been driven recently.  A thermal will very easily pick someone hiding in a bush

Another factor to consider is form, something that can be held in the palm of your hand is very unobtrusive e.g. just someone with a videocam.  Moreover, real world active use the device needs to be ruggedised and ideally will pass to at least IP67 dust and waterproofing. Best running with replaceable batteries that are readily obtainable and or can run off more or less any battery pack.  

The ability to mount to a helmet can have a lot of value.

Technical specs - 1x native mag, 9mm to 18mm focal length, 12 micron pixel pitch, NETD < 50mK (see below for some examples).

Nice to haves inc. 60hz refresh rate, digital compass (numeric), on board recording and photos, real adjustment e.g gain, sharpness, SSO, gain correction etc.  

Things to be wary of, micro sd cards (slots can leak and cards often break) proprietary battery systems with atypical voltage, anything phone based (other than for home use), claims of detection range often stated using low probability and less important in most cases than recognition range (at medium to high probability).
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Some shots from the Infiray T2. Bought it more as a fun gizmo than a serious thermal device.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:26:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Armasight Sidekick also looks like a great option. Out in a few months. Basically a modern FLIR Breach (Armasight was bought by FLIR then spun off).  American-ish (assembled of US and foreign parts, but the sensor is allegedly American?). 640 and 320 models.

https://armasight.com/sidekick-640-mini-thermal-monocular/
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Armasight Sidekick also looks like a great option. Out in a few months. Basically a modern FLIR Breach (Armasight was bought by FLIR then spun off).  American-ish (assembled of US and foreign parts, but the sensor is allegedly American?). 640 and 320 models.

View Quote

That one looks interesting.
I wonder if it powers from an external source also.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Big +1 for the Nox18. If you can afford it, it's well worth the added cost over the FLIR. Those pics above that compare the Nox18 and Breach posted by GroundhogOZ are from my Nox18 and my Breach (before I sold it). I've been very happy with that decision. Would like to buy a Nox35 down the road.

ETA: When shopping for a new thermal, I went Nox18 because I just decided I wasn't willing to buy a Chinese thermal when there were non-Chinese alternatives that I could afford. But a potential future conflict with China is an interesting angle on that decision too.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#35]
+1 to everything Groundhog said. For a point of reference, here’s some very urban/crowd type imagery with a 12um/25mm device giving a 17.5deg FoV as opposed to some of the 24deg options like the NOX18 and upcoming Sidekick (very interested to see this in the next month or two). The NOX35 is 12.2deg across for reference, so this is somewhere in the middle. Decent distance resolution, but needs more scanning to take in a wide area.

iRay RH25 Thermal @ Disney World
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 1:29:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That one looks interesting.
I wonder if it powers from an external source also.
View Quote

I believe someone reached out to Armasight and were told it can use an external battery pack
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 1:45:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0rA_TaHQQE
View Quote

I was messing around with the T2 this weekend: a buddy just got a new house and we were critiquing the job the builder did on his insulation. I had the T2 in the truck, so plugged it into my iPhone ProMax and showed him his cold spots where they should add more fill:

(The images are sharper than this, I apparently didn't have it focused in these pics.)

Sometimes I kind of wish it was native "0-power" or 1x magnification, as I wind up using it as a close-range scanner vs. a longer range spotter. Honestly, the ability to plug into your phone (using it as a monitor that records to Camera Roll, etc.), the thing is smaller than a golfball, does iPhone camera Picture-in-Picture on the thermal so you can tell what you're looking at on real cam vs. thermal imaging, does a crosshair if you want, white/black/color hot pallettes, has thermal active tracking that has a little blip that detects and then follows moving targets, and it's <$400? Not a bad thing to have around in a little go-bag.

I got it so I could let my little nephew scan for hogs and have something to do while we're in the hunting blind and I'm on a "real" thermal-scoped gun. That way, he's helpful (and not bored and blind trying to look at a pitch black feeder 100 yards downrange) while it's the grownup's turn to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
FLIR has thermal imagers for cell phones in the same price range and even a lower cost option.
View Quote

Those are pretty short-range though, and super low resolution. I've played with them before, and (assume) they're good for electricians and housing contractors and such seeing up-close water damage and the like.

Comparing, the FLIR is a rechargable battery onboard,whereas the T2 sucks power via phone's USB/Lightning. That either means it drains your phone (boo), or doesn't require its own power (yay). In the "SHTF situation" OP asks about, I'd think a teeny imager you could pull out of a bag that doesn't require charging is a plus. Use a big powerbank for phone+anything else if needed.

The FLIR system overlays (woot! fusion bro!) a real camera image with thermal image, cheating to give a seemingly-better looking display image, but the thermal part is still only 160x120 res... pixel-city. The T2 is 384×288 or 256x192 depending on model. NETD is 70mk on the FLIR vs. <50mk on the T2. The blended image's focus on the FLIR is supposed to be good for 10 feet. You can detect out farther, but it gets blurred right quick. Look at this kid's video when they get past a few strides: unidentified walking blob.
Flir one gen 3 distance test (at Night)

I liked the Breach when I hunted with a prototype of it many years ago, never have used the production ones though. But their little phone-cams weren't useful in the role OP is asking about. T2, perhaps could be.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I wouldn't use either of them for SHTF. Even more so the T2 since it requires you to install a Chinese made/developed app on your mobile device. No thanks.
The OP didn't originally ask about a phone cam and no one recommended it to the OP for SHTF.
ETA: I posted about the FLIR alternative for those folks who may not know about them.
View Quote

I hear ya on the foreign-app-on-main-phone hesitations. I have a separate old iPad I use for apps that I don't want linked to my personal data. It's hard to avoid foreign made products though - like, I don't know if Bering is something to avoid for the same reasons because they've used iRay and Ukrainian guts or not, but there's some nice midrange options there too.

There were a couple guys mid-thread that mentioned micro-sized phone-cams as an alternative, so I was just riffing on that. (And also pointing out that the FLIR options aren't really options that would work at all in OP's role, whereas the T2 *could* work in a pinch for similar situations for someone that doesn't want to spend Skeet-type money.)

Ultimately, defining "SHTF" and "scanning for threats" from the OP post seem important to the thread. Has our hypothetical lone survivor had the world fall down around him on his way back from work, only packing a hideout pistol, yet also happens to have a thermal monocular in his knapsack, and is now looking for pockets of maurading badguys out in the wasteland to engage with his micro carry 9mm?  :D

I mean, I could see planning for semi-realistic emergency SAR, like if you're looking for survivors in earthquake rubble, or hunting small game in survivalist situations. But past that, we're quickly getting into wasteland-fantasy. The type of disaster that probably isn't going to "surprise" you on your way home from Target whilst getting a new air fryer with the missus.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I was messing around with the T2 this weekend: a buddy just got a new house and we were critiquing the job the builder did on his insulation. I had the T2 in the truck, so plugged it into my iPhone ProMax and showed him his cold spots where they should add more fill:
https://i.imgur.com/Wfeg4Mq.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/gpFaOuZ.jpg
(The images are sharper than this, I apparently didn't have it focused in these pics.)

Sometimes I kind of wish it was native "0-power" or 1x magnification, as I wind up using it as a close-range scanner vs. a longer range spotter. Honestly, the ability to plug into your phone (using it as a monitor that records to Camera Roll, etc.), the thing is smaller than a golfball, does iPhone camera Picture-in-Picture on the thermal so you can tell what you're looking at on real cam vs. thermal imaging, does a crosshair if you want, white/black/color hot pallettes, has thermal active tracking that has a little blip that detects and then follows moving targets, and it's <$400? Not a bad thing to have around in a little go-bag.

I got it so I could let my little nephew scan for hogs and have something to do while we're in the hunting blind and I'm on a "real" thermal-scoped gun. That way, he's helpful (and not bored and blind trying to look at a pitch black feeder 100 yards downrange) while it's the grownup's turn to shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0rA_TaHQQE

https://i.imgur.com/Wfeg4Mq.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/gpFaOuZ.jpg

I believe there’s a T2 with a 1x wider view. The T2 Pro starts at 2x.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just looked at the specs and it says battery life is "up to 1 hour at 68deg".   That pretty sad and demands a battery pack.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#46]
So where does the EOTech ClipIR fall in with the rest of these?  I know the ClipIR is a bit more money, but I don't know what extra you get for that extra money.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Just looked at the specs and it says battery life is "up to 1 hour at 68deg".   That pretty sad and demands a battery pack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, but if it'll run for 3-4hrs on an external pack the size of an 18650 or 5-7 on one the size of a cigarette pack that you can velcro to it then that would seem to be a very capable scanner I'd be interested in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top