Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2022 11:25:18 PM EDT
So last year, I bought two Hornady M2 tumblers, to replace previous brands which crapped out. One of the M2s stopped working within a month, and the other stopped working last week. I need to find a replacement.

I previously used a Frankfort Arsenal, which stopped working within a few months. I usually tumble a load or two each weekend. Once or twice a year, I will run the tumblers nearly non stop for a weekend.

I asked this question on a Facebook group, and got a lot of responses for the Lyman and FA stuff. Unfortunately, many of those responses were from guys who had old products (likely made much better quality).

So of current production tumblers, which would you recommend? This is DRY tumblers. I already have a FART for when I want to wet tumble.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what to say.

I bought my FA in 2012. I've tumbled over a hundred thousand cases in it.

Still works like new.

Seems like you are either very unlucky or something is screwy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 12:13:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive got a Lyman and a RCBS that have seen things. Years and years of tumbling and they are still killing it. The only issue I've had is that the lid on the RCBS doesn't fit perfect and I blame that on me for overloading it for years and eventually deforming the bowl.
Many of the ones out today have the same motors and same parts yet they just come in different flavors of color.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:35:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Dillon or Thumblers UV line.

I've been using 2 Dillon 750's for about 15 years. I tumble about 25k in each per year.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:10:57 AM EDT
[#4]
UV-18 lasts forever.  Had to replace the plug on mine.  The rubber gasket/metal thing the wing nut cranks down on is dry rotted.  Still rocks.  Only use it to dry tumble .223 before sizing.

All my other tumbling needs are met by the big FART
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:43:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I ended up with a Berry's tumbler after the tumbler I bought 30 something years ago finally died. The Midsouth shooter's supply tumbler is the same as the Berry's.... just a different color. I bought the Berry's just because it was cheaper at the time.

One thing I don't like about it is with the straight walls media comes out when the top isn't screwed on. The rounded fish bowl type you can run with the top off if you want.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:30:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Currently using a FA vibratory tumbler I bought used back in 2015. It's an older model.

The price of a Dillon vibratory tumbler has skyrocketed. The smaller one is $185 plus tax and shipping and it doesn't have a lifetime warranty, either.

Obviously the ones sold by RCBS/Lyman/Hornady/HFT/FA/Berrys are all made from Chinesium.

I'd say buy the one with the best return/warranty policy for a given price.

ETA: just priced one of the Thumler's UV-18's.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 2 Dillons
One pre CV 750 from 2001 I had stepped on the in switch.  So a like re-engineering was needed.
The other one is from initial year the CV 750 was offered.  
I had the big dillon, but was overkill so go it sold
I have a Thumblers Model B not HS, that is way over 30 years old.
Same motor, but rollers have been replaced, belts, drum liner and lid liner, and wing nuts.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...just priced one of the Thumler's UV-18's.
View Quote
+1 for the Thumblers UV-18.

P.S.: The UV-18 comes in 2 versions.  The Industrial version has a blue stripe and retails north of $500.  The Standard version has a yellow stripe and can usually be found in the mid-$200 range.  The current Midway USA listing is at $234 but they are out of stock and no backorder!  They are not easy to find "in stock"...  I think I found one in stock at $270! @ http://www.averystreetstores.com/thumlers-tumbler-model-uv-18-ultra-vibe-vibratory-gem-polisher-180/

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mine has the yellow stripe.
View Quote
Mine too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve had my Dillon CV-500 since early ‘95 and it’s still truckin’ along.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#13]
My Dillon tumbler has run strong for over ten years. I would buy another one tomorrow.

Just for giggles I purchased the large HF tumbler for .223 brass.  It’s got about five years on it.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both Dillons.  For whatever reason, the larger one seems to do a much better job of cleaning. FWIW
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine is a Vibra-Shine VORTEX.  It is 30 years old and still going strong.  (knocks on wood)

I suspect variability from unit to unit (the motor) is as important as which brand is on the label.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Well dudes, I picked up a Lyman 1200 at the LGS today. Got it home, and it doesn’t even work.

Absolutely frustrated.

Gonna drink some cold ones, look at Dillon and Thumler’s, and call Lyman and Hornady Monday.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I like my Berry's. It had really good reviews when I bought mine a few years ago after my Lyman died.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a Berry's. Pretty sure it's made in US. Like the replaceable bowl too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ve run my Midway 1292 so long the bowl wore through. Still going strong on the second bowl. If I ever have to replace it I’ll go with a Thumler's UV18.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got a Thumler's Ultravibe 10.  I think i got it somewhere around 1996?

Works like a champ.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a Thumbler's Tumbler over 25 years ago, and it is still running just fine.  I can use it dry with corn cob or crushed walnut shells, or wet with stainless pins.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Whoever makes the one for cabelas has been my best one. Bought it back in 98 and is still going. But it looks like not available anymore by itself. They do have a kit that you can buy and it is that one. The newer 500 model I have not used. Just the 400 in the kit.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-model-400-vibratory-case-tumbler-kit

Had to make a new lid is the only thing that has broke. It runs non stop every day cleaning range brass i pick up to sell. Other I have had that were junk were HORNADY, the worst. Then FA, the bowl eat out in the center. Then Lyman has been the second best.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I have the big Dillion. I run so much brass others just never lasted. I need to upgrade to a cement mixer.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I use a Dillon Magnum FL-2000 I bought when I got my xl650 back around '94 or so. Has been going strong with zero problems since I got it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have the big Dillion. I run so much brass others just never lasted. I need to upgrade to a cement mixer.
View Quote

I’ve considered that option lol.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Something is fucky, are you using the same outlet to plug it in? Maybe you have a loose connection somewhere or a bad ground. Im sure you have checked all that but i have an outlet in my kitchen that has eaten 4 coffee makers and 3 microwaves in 10 years, pulled it out and changed it and haven’t had any problems. Sounds like You have some bad luck
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got this one from Harbor Freight.  it has worked well for my more bulk tumbling needs. I replaced the original lid gasket with edging I got from Amazon, and also made a plastic jam nut for holding the lid on (using only the lid nut supplied with the unit I was having issues with it spinning off and the lid coming off.  No issues other than that, and I have run many, many flat rate boxes of brass thought it.

I also use this timer, usually set at 4 hours for the initial cleaning with ground corn cob blasting media and nu finish to get almost wet tumbled bling out of it.  Then one more hour to remove home brew lanolin case lube (doesn't really take that long, but timer low setting is 1 hour) when doing bottle neck cases.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Something is fucky, are you using the same outlet to plug it in? Maybe you have a loose connection somewhere or a bad ground. Im sure you have checked all that but i have an outlet in my kitchen that has eaten 4 coffee makers and 3 microwaves in 10 years, pulled it out and changed it and haven’t had any problems. Sounds like You have some bad luck
View Quote

Yes, I use the same outside outlet on my porch. I considered that, but my original (10-year-old) Hornady is still kicking, using the same outlets.

The Dillon CV-750 arrived today. Just ran the first loads through it. Thing feels like a tank compared to others, and is much quieter, too.

Gonna see how this one does. Might just get a second so I can run corn cob in one and walnut in the other.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Three years ago my wife purchased a Lyman 2500 tumbler to replace my old midway one.   I did have an old Lyman 2500 years ago I dropped 500 rounds of 223 on it from the top shelf and damaged the motor beyond repair the new Lyman the plastic is lighter duty but runs just like  the original did
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Several years ago I was the only person on a Sierra Bullets factory tour.  My guide took me all over. When down at their range a Dillon tumbler was running. The guide told me when he walked in the door 18 years ago, the tumbler was running and it hasn’t been turned off since he’s been there.  

I bought a Dillon tumbler after my old Midway one gave up the ghost. It made me feel good about purchasing a Dillon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top