Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/12/2022 12:05:39 AM EDT
When I say truck gun, I mean specifically something larger than your edc to keep in a vehicle if you're going on a trip or something, for some kind of exigent circumstances. Some people probably pack one every day, but my question is, what is your ideal gun for the task, or your best fit out of what you have already?

I know personally, I have a 357 mares leg on order, coming in this week or next week, that I think would be awesome for serving that exact purpose. Right now, I'd probably pack the 22wmr mares leg, but I think I'd prefer something beefier once I have it in my possession.

I also have a family member that keeps one of those Chiappa Little Badger, fold up, 22s in his truck. He loves it and it's more for a utility purpose than anything.

I expect to see alot of folks say shockwave/tac-14, AR pistols, Ruger PC chargers, etc. But I wanna hear y'all's thoughts on it. I think it also depends on what you're expecting to use it for.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#1]
AR pistols for trips
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:21:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Comes down to legality over weapon choice. A pistol is going to be more legally acceptable in many states. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:52:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Folding AR or PS90 SBR
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 5:16:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Glock in a flux brace for the glove box or a Sig Rattler if you have a big enough console (and budget)
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for Glock in a Flux brace.

My Sig Copperhead is another one I use.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Sub2K. Folds in half and can be hidden in multiple locations in my truck. 33 rounds of 9mm will handle 99% of the potential issues a truck gun would be used for. It’s cheap so I don’t worry about it, if it needs to go away for whatever reason just chop it up and melt it down.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:29:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Right now its a Mossberg Shockwave with a an Ares Gear side saddle shell card. Loaded with Aguila Mini Shells with slugs and the side saddle is PDX 1 Buck/Slug Combo
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I use a G17.3 in a Recover Tactical brace... Vortex Venom... front mag holder/grip...light...rides in a small bag with shoulder strap... 2" at 50m off a rest
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#9]
1. Sig Rattler
2. SBR/Pistol AR in 5.56 or 300BLK

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1. Sig Rattler
2. SBR/Pistol AR in 5.56 or 300BLK

View Quote

These are my choices as well.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#11]

In state I travel with this little fella. It fits nicely in the center console and with 33 rounders it’s packs quite a bit of firepower.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I currently use a Sig MPX. I'd like to use an AR pistol and I may still do that, but I think it's only a matter of time before the AFT calls them SBRs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

I like your style.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't throw eggs at me, but hear me out.  What about the KelTec P5?  I bought one just for kicks and keep thinking it's be a great truck gun.  for one it's a pistol, so no need to worry about state laws saying I can't have a loaded rifle in the truck.  One problem with truck guns is mags.  I don't really keep a bunch of mags loaded in the truck too, it starts to take up a bunch of space.  The P50 is pretty compact for what it is and has 50 rounds on board.  5.7 isn't a planet killer, but this is an oh shit gun and decent enough I suppose.  I dunno, I keep thinking it might actually be a great truck gun.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't throw eggs at me, but hear me out.  What about the KelTec P5?  I bought one just for kicks and keep thinking it's be a great truck gun.  for one it's a pistol, so no need to worry about state laws saying I can't have a loaded rifle in the truck.  One problem with truck guns is mags.  I don't really keep a bunch of mags loaded in the truck too, it starts to take up a bunch of space.  The P50 is pretty compact for what it is and has 50 rounds on board.  5.7 isn't a planet killer, but this is an oh shit gun and decent enough I suppose.  I dunno, I keep thinking it might actually be a great truck gun.
View Quote

That's not a bad idea. There's no way the average person is going to reload under stress without a metric shit-ton of practice, but if 50 rounds of 5.7x28 don't solve the issue, I'm not sure 100 would either.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#16]
bondryan.. I think B&T offer the best iteration of a chassis... if they offered one with a brace I'd have one on the way... congratulations on your choice and execution... my SBR currently houses a .22lr conversion for Steel Challenge
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Lever rifle or plastic pistol
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess my next question would be, what do you all think about my pick?

The 357 mares leg lever action is considered a pistol, but I think I can get more accurate with it than I would with an actual handgun, its not too big, but long enough for a cheek weld on the quarter of a stock that's on it, and a 357 well placed will put down just about anything. I know it isn't the most efficient choice, but in my head, 8/10 times, I'd just be reaching for it because I've found myself with an opportunity to shoot, and want to have alittle fun, the other times it would either be used to put down an animal if I were to hit one, or in case of shit getting out of hand, and I think it could manage those as well.

Am i just living in a cowboy fantasy or does this seem to check out for anyone else?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
bondryan.. I think B&T offer the best iteration of a chassis... if they offered one with a brace I'd have one on the way... congratulations on your choice and execution... my SBR currently houses a .22lr conversion for Steel Challenge
View Quote

I have a conversion kit for this one. It’s fun with a .22 upper and a can on it.

I like the b&t much more then the other options. I need to figure out a different vfg for it but at the moment it works fine.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
AR pistols for trips
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I go with the cheap 12 gauge pump under the rear seat option.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#22]
300 Win Mag bolt action

Or similar
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got a Sig MCX SBR I've been thinking about throwing in the trunk.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I guess my next question would be, what do you all think about my pick?

The 357 mares leg lever action is considered a pistol, but I think I can get more accurate with it than I would with an actual handgun, its not too big, but long enough for a cheek weld on the quarter of a stock that's on it, and a 357 well placed will put down just about anything. I know it isn't the most efficient choice, but in my head, 8/10 times, I'd just be reaching for it because I've found myself with an opportunity to shoot, and want to have alittle fun, the other times it would either be used to put down an animal if I were to hit one, or in case of shit getting out of hand, and I think it could manage those as well.

Am i just living in a cowboy fantasy or does this seem to check out for anyone else?
View Quote

Mares leg and shockwave stuff is cool but takes 2 hands to operate. Tough to use and drive.

Flux Glock stuff and rattlers are cool cause they can be used one handed (well enough) but still give you out to 100 yards or so if needed. I’m adding a can to mine and they will be my go-to
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#25]
16" AR15 with a LPVO that does a true 1x at the bottom end and a sling.

This is a truly versatile weapon. Good for man or critter at any distance from point blank to 600 yards.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Honey Badger or Rattler in .300 blk.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I have never carried a truck gun beside daily carry.  I have thought about my AR pistol but I also have a CZ Scorpion that would be pretty compact to carry along.  I think I like the power increase and my lengthy experience with AR's.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a full size Glock in the center front console.  G22.  I prefer the larger, heavier .40. Never felt the need for more in a vehicle.   I have a couple extra full mags with it.  Realistically, trouble while traveling is going to be in close.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 2:03:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Stribog or Scorpion, both fairly cheap and cheerful, fairly compact, accurate enough & reliable so far.

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Whatever you don't mind getting stolen.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#31]
World war III and the zombie apocalypse don't figure into my reasonable expectations of what my Jeep/pickup gun are needed for.  Frankly, even getting to my vehicle during a shooting and having the time to access a long gun before law enforcement arrives is highly unlikely in an urban setting.

The most probable use of a long gun would be potting something to eat.  To that end I used to carry an AR-7 (actually I still take it with me).  I did need something a bit more potent and have settled on a .410 Mossberg 500 shotgun.

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Braced 7.62 AK pistol
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#33]
CZ Scorpion is what I have as a “Truck Gun”.  

Decked out with a Mini red dot & Flash light. Very compact. Super accurate little gun.

Lives in a very plain / lowpro backpack. Four to six 35 round mags also ride in the pack.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#34]
M1 carbine?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:39:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Cheap ass PSA pistol build. Flip up sights. Form 1 or retired can.

Put some fresh CLP on it every year or so.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 5:17:02 AM EDT
[#36]
I'd worry about anything getting stolen.
That has the ethical issue AND the cost issue.

I do like the idea of a P50 w/ brace...only weighs like 3lbs so it's easy to grab and carry in and out of the car. But those are going for like 900 + brace cost. But it can put rounds on target fast (no recoil)...put a PA 3X microprism on it, and maybe an offset micro (holosun or SIG with motac) and you've got something that can hit a head at 150Y or do terrible things close-in.
--
Cheaper options:
1) The SUB2000 isn't bad either as it folds away (assuming you'd have time to unfold it), and you can stick one 33rd mag in the gun and another can be held to the foreend with bands.
2) The PLR16 used to only be like $420...not sure what they go for now if you can find one. But it's also like 3.5lbs probably, and the 9" barrel could get you to 150Y.
3) DBX 57 or Ruger 57 in a chassis or maybe the new PSA Rock 57...especially if a chassis for it comes out.
--
The cheap AR builds aren't bad but definitely a bit bigger (unless you have like a folding brace and a 7.5" barrel). It's gonna be super loud and heavier than other options mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Folding Draco or AK pistol with brace. Or rattler but thats baller for a "truck gun". Maybe just a PSA pistol AR with brace, light and RDS.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Honey Badger or Rattler in .300 blk.
View Quote

This. Or any small AR type platform in .300 blk.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#39]
I would say a lever action rifle is not a bad choice at all, something like a 16" in .44 mag is a respectable choice, unless you live way out on the plains.
The chief advantage is it is slim and compact enough to fit anywhere, unless you are expecting hordes of attackers an AR is kind of overkill for something you would have "just in case".
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would say a lever action rifle is not a bad choice at all, something like a 16" in .44 mag is a respectable choice, unless you live way out on the plains.
The chief advantage is it is slim and compact enough to fit anywhere, unless you are expecting hordes of attackers an AR is kind of overkill for something you would have "just in case".
View Quote

Hard to shoot a lever gun in a confined space one handed. Should that need arise.

I see a truck gun as something you have with you most of the time. And if things get dicey while you're at work or whatever, it makes its way from the trunk to the front seat with you as you drive home. The shorter the gun the easier it is to work with in a smaller setting or with a steering wheel in your way. Yes I know that's a rare need but so is needing a truck gun to begin with.

My 16" barrel 357 is as long as an AR or SBS shotgun (with stock). My rattler is as big as a large laptop and my flux braced glock can be tucked into my waistband.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That has the ethical issue
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That has the ethical issue

AND the cost issue.
Theft is a legitimate concern. That's why I try to use firearms owned by the government, if possible. I don't have any "pro gun" stickers on my vehicles either. They're completely unmarked.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#42]
MCX seems like a top choice..BUT...that price tag yo....

BRN180 is cheaper....BUT....that reciprocating charging handle yo....

Let's see if PSA can come through with the Jakl at a decent price.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Pistol build from 10 years ago.

Higher quality parts on the upper that are no longer cool

Andersen lower with Gear Head Works Mod2 brace

DD irons

HS403R on lower 1/3 mount

An Arisaka 300 body and Malkoff head on an old IWC thorntail

It gets the job done, trying to perfect the sling set up for it, but it shoots well.

Thinking of digging out my Nosler 64 grain bonded stash to load in it. The stuff flys like a brick, but performs pretty well on barriers.

ETA- this doesn’t go with me everywhere. But it’s going more places these days. Gets carried in an Emdom gym bag. Only thing I am considering changing is going to a Streamlight Protac HL-X with 18650s
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
M1 carbine?
View Quote

This would make a great TG with an Ultimak rail and nice red dot.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#45]
I’m perplexed by the recommendations for a pistol caliber option.

Pistol braces are likely going away. The purposefully complex ATF “worksheet” basically precludes setting up a modern fighting AR pistol.

If you run into a scenario where you need more than your conceal carry handgun, you’re going to want a rifle caliber. I personally like 12.5, 14.5, or 16” 5.56 AR. A 16” AUG is also a great travel rifle. If you remove the barrel it stows to a 22” package.

Traveling with a rifle that’s disassembled and not immediately useable should not be an issue. And if I run into a scenario where I need a rifle, I won’t care about anything other than getting out of that situation alive.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I’m perplexed by the recommendations for a pistol caliber option.

Pistol braces are likely going away. The purposefully complex ATF “worksheet” basically precludes setting up a modern fighting AR pistol.

snip

View Quote

We have to STOP with this.  I don't know how many times I've read that pistol braces are going away.  

AR pistols are not banned.
Not all braces are banned. (Not to mention you can just remove the brace)
There will be lawsuits.
Companies will adjust their braces to comply as well.  - The bigger issue will be the AFT putting our rules, and then changing the rules a few years from now (again).

All of these braced pistols would comply (weight, length, ect), and this is before we get into lawsuits and such.

10.5" 300blk with SB SOB and 3x magnifier

9" 300blk with SB Mini and 3x magnifier

7.5" 300blk with Law folder and Tailhook Mod 1

10.5" 5.56 (only used with .22LR Conversion bolt) with an SB Mini

Here is that same 10.5" with a LAW Folder and Tailhook Mod 1c. This may or may not comply because of the goofy "rifle sight" penalty...but it has yet to be determined what actually qualifies as a rifle site.  Magpul MBUS allows for both rear peepholes to be flipped down, so the AFT will need to state exactly what the specific criteria is for the rifle site penalty.

Or just rock a laser instead.

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

We have to STOP with this.  I don't know how many times I've read that pistol braces are going away.  

There will be lawsuits.
Companies will adjust their braces to comply as well.  - The bigger issue will be the AFT putting our rules, and then changing the rules a few years from now (again).

All of these braced pistols would comply (weight, length, ect), and this is before we get into lawsuits and such.

https://i.imgur.com/ZgY9rQg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2bMd15x.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LJT3euc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LqPPXqu.jpg

Here is that same 10.5" with a LAW Folder and Tailhook Mod 1c. This may or may not comply because of the goofy "rifle sight" penalty...but it has yet to be determined what actually qualifies as a rifle site.  Magpul MBUS allows for both rear peepholes to be flipped down, so the AFT will need to state exactly what the specific criteria is for the rifle site penalty.
https://i.imgur.com/AjvynTT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/U6QcR7l.jpg
View Quote

@panthermark continuing to comply with arbitrary and changing rules by changing what it is you’re doing is not winning.

Either add a stock and stamp, add just a stock, or give up the shorter barrels. Continuing to follow horseshit rules is what giving AfT their power.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

@panthermark continuing to comply with arbitrary and changing rules by changing what it is you’re doing is not winning.

Either add a stock and stamp, add just a stock, or give up the shorter barrels. Continuing to follow horseshit rules is what giving AfT their power.
View Quote

@steviesterno16

Hopefully there will be some pushback with whatever lawsuits come about.

With that said, two of the three items you just mentioned are "complying", and also defeat the purpose of a pistol.

1. Add a stock and a stamp:  Adding a stamp is registration.....that is HARD pass and the ATF would love that.   Not to mention that adding a stock means no more concealed carry or pre-exemption from the AWB ban in many placed around Chicagoland.

2. Add just a stock - This is the type of statement that gets made on the internet, and/or by folks who shoot on private ranges with no one else around that would even know you are running a stock.   If it is that easy, everyone with this attitude should just run a stock now....why wait?

3.  Give up the pistol and run a rifle.  The ATF would love that almost as much as #1, plus we run into the same no more CCW and AWB issues.

--------

But back to #2.  Let's be real.  It would be monumentally stupid for me (or anyone else) to do that.  I'm trying to imagine explaining to my wife and kids why I've purposely destroyed our lives over the difference between a brace and a stock.   Putting a stock on a pistol is illegal....period.  New brace rules or not...it does not matter.
I'm pretty damn sure that not a single person on this site is going to kit up and ride into Chicagoland to shoot it out for me when multiple layers of po-po comes knocking on my door for my illegal SBR, So I don't want to hear that mess...it is a non-starter.

If you say, don't change your braces that you had, I can actually understand that.  My SBA3's (3), Blade 1.0 (1), and Tailhook Mod 2's (2) were considered braces when I bought, so they should stay legal (especially since the latter two have ATF letters).  To me, that is a risk worth taking....but I've created these examples for those that think that braces are completely done for.  The whole "just put a stock on it"......I chalk that up to internet bravado.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There will be lawsuits.

https://i.imgur.com/ZgY9rQg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2bMd15x.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LJT3euc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LqPPXqu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AjvynTT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/U6QcR7l.jpg
View Quote

I just SBR. Braces are ridiculous in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Sporterized 98 Mauser in 308. I kept a Marlin 336 in my truck for a while until the second time it froze up on me in winter.

16” barrel, 1.5-4 power scope, and a Thunder Beast flash hider mount if my silencer ever gets out of jail. I was originally quoted last September…

Anyhow great gun. Practically impossible to jam, powerful and available cartridge, and very handleable in a vehicle.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top