Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2020 7:17:47 PM EDT
I'm finally up and running my home based business. I'm looking to get some ammo and wanted to see who you are getting your best ammo prices with? I'm set up with most of the wholesalers. I'm trying to be strategic and be able to provide my customers that buy a gun the added service and provide ammo when they pick up their gun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Look at ammo pricing at the online ammunition dealers.
2. Look at the pricing at your distributor
3. Realize customers can order cheaper online than what you will pay wholesale.
4. Home based? How many people will be coming through your door every week?

Cases usually ship free, but you will never come close to the big online ammo dealers unless you are buying by the pallet truckload.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:21:13 AM EDT
[#2]
sgammo.com, it's almost impossible to beat them.  I have re-stocked  my supply from them exclusively for the last few years. They are almost always a few $'s cheaper per 50rnds than my local retailer. A great add-on for home based FFL's who sell a few rounds for customers.  At least around here the closest prices are at Academy which is 15 miles from my pickup location.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:44:43 AM EDT
[#3]
gunbot.net
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:48:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Different wholesalers have stuff that you can't get at other vendors. The closure of several wholesalers last year really put a crimp in where I can get some stuff.
The SAFE act puts a crimp in people being able to order ammo in to their home, so what works for me may not apply to your operation
Edit
I tell my people that I can't meet Walmarts prices, so don't ask.... but they'll also be able to get stuff here that they can't get in those places. Now that places like Dicks and Walmart are increasingly out of the firearms business I don't have to say that as often

I actually got into ammo sales before I was an FFL. I'd order cases of ammo on letterhead and split the case with coworkers.

If you can figure out how to do it, try to get any ammo you're special ordering prepaid at least in part by the customer. This encourages them to come in promptly for their order. Be certain of what you're ordering if it's being ordered on request. I usually do an email exchange with the customer and confirm by UPC code what they're asking for and quantity. I still occasionally get stuck with a mistaken order, but it sells eventually.

Start out small, tack on a few extra boxes of what people are already ordering. if one customer wants something, usually others will want the same thing. Develop an email list of your regular customer base, and let them know what you have available. I have two walls to of ammo and send out a monthly PDF pricelist showing what's on the shelf to my contact list of regulars.

You may have to invest some seed money of your own into the first few ammo orders, but eventually it should be a self sustaining part of your operation. I could close up tomorrow and I won't loss any money from the unsold ammo, because I've continually reinvested the money from previous sales into expanded inventory. It's all customers money that's sitting on the shelf, not my own.

That being said, price your stuff accordingly. You can't mark it up too high, but you don't want to give it away either. My markup is minimal depending on caliber/ gauge and whether I'm flipping the order immediately or whether it's a slow moving caliber that will likely sit on the shelf longer and not move as quickly. You'll figure out what to charge eventually
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top