Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2018 2:00:55 PM EDT
Howdy guys,

I am looking for an effective muzzle brake for a Colt 9MM 10.5" SMG upper. The Colt barrel is 1/2x36 thread pattern but a 1/2x28 thread pattern brake will work with an adapter. Experienced shooters don't have too much trouble with the high cyclic rate trying to move the gun up and to the right. But an effective brake would be of value to the newer shooters. Anybody have a brake installed on their M16/9mm upper that works well? TIA!
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
non of them work that great on 9mm, not enough gas and its all burnt up by the time bullet exits.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just throw a can on there.

I've got an integrally suppressed 9mm upper (LRM M169) and yes, it's very controllable. Though with newbies, I usually start 'em out on my suppressed Uzi.
View Quote
I am waiting for Gemtech to make another run of their 3 lug MK-9K cans. But it may be quite a while from what I am hearing. May adapt an AK74 type muzzle brake and see if it makes any difference.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Other than a can, which would certainly be the best, a heavy muzzle brake would work as a “muzzle weight”. Something along the lines of a Noveske “Pig” would work well, using the thread adapter you mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
May adapt an AK74 type muzzle brake and see if it makes any difference.
View Quote
It won't do much

not enough gas to make it work.

I would stick a pig on the end, as mentioned above
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Something worth mentioning about the Colt 9mm AR platform: I have a couple of Colt 9mm carbines/uppers. Since they are recoil operated, they do not utilize a gas tube. So the barrel nut is not locked in place by the gas tube as on a gas operated 5.56mm upper. The barrel nut backed off on one 10.5” 9mm SMG upper which can lead to a dangerous excessive headspace condition. These Colt 9mms are used as needed for SD/HD/hunting, so I sealed the barrel nut to the receiver with Rocksett. If the Rocksett method fails, I will drill the front of the receiver to accept a shortened gas tube in order to lock the barrel nut  in place. Or I could just swap out the Colt 9mm upper for a standard 5.56mm upper with the normal provision for a gas tube. .02
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:57:13 AM EDT
[#7]
maybe a Bowers AIMs brake?

I do want to get some for my 9mm Subguns, but there are so many choices.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
maybe a Bowers AIMs brake?

I do want to get some for my 9mm Subguns, but there are so many choices.
View Quote
I bored an AK74 muzzle brake to 0.400" ID for 9MM use and installed it on a 10.5" 9MM upper. Just need to go fire it to see if the modified brake has any real effect on muzzle rise. Might have a chance to make the Texas/U.S. Law Shield shoot over at Top Gun Range in Houston tomorrow night.

EDIT: Sorry guys, I retire in July & needed to attend a retirement seminar tonight so was unable to test fire the AK74 muzzle brake. Will report back after I do.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top