Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2020 11:48:36 AM EDT
I need to know what the best FDE spray paint is to paint Plastic and aluminum.  Not looking for Cerakote.  Not looking for Tan.  Trying to match Magpul.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#1]
can't speak to matching color, but brownells sells their aluma-hyde paint.   I used it on a 80-in-the-white, and it's held up quite well.  Pretty tough stuff.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Duracoat Magpul FDE is VERY close, as is the Aluma-Hyde II Magpul FDE.  If you must have exact matching, there is really on one solution, have everything coated at the same time in the same color.  Duracoat is what I use and can be applied to grips, stocks, forends, uppers and lowers, pretty much anything but I don't think it would work well on ruberized parts like the Magpul MOE+ grip.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Duracoat Magpul FDE is VERY close, as is the Aluma-Hyde II Magpul FDE.  If you must have exact matching, there is really on one solution, have everything coated at the same time in the same color.  Duracoat is what I use and can be applied to grips, stocks, forends, uppers and lowers, pretty much anything but I don't think it would work well on ruberized parts like the Magpul MOE+ grip.
View Quote
I read that the Aluma-Hyde MP-FDE isn't even close on color???  I'm not looking for exact match but it needs to be close.  I do not like Duracoat, based on a bad past experience..
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to do it yourself, Brownell's sells an epoxy compound that comes in a spray can.  The directions require a little more work than just using regular paint in a can, but as the epoxy hardens over a couple of days, it comes out really well.  You can do multiple coats if you want, and the first coat hardens enough to touch it within an hour or two.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Bump for more responses. I need to do some close matching Magpul FDE paint on some small parts.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Rustoleum "Nutmeg"

It's a semi-gloss, but would look fine on small parts. It's a very close match, if you want simple rattle can.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Alumahyde in coyote is realllllllly close to Magpul FDE.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Ditto on the Alumahyde Coyote. It is a close a match as you will probably ever find.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Duracoat
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Alumahyde fde vs Magpul FDE stock

Link Posted: 3/28/2020 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

That looks closer to the Magpul FDE than the alumahyde FDE does
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is my 10 shades of FDE rifle.

Aerovoe Coyote on the Upper Receiver.
Lower was factory Cerakoted FDE.
Handguard is brand new, so not dirtied up yet.
Did the upper about 3 years and 2k rounds ago.
It is a little oil soaked now.

This best represents the color in natural lighting.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top