Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2018 10:05:32 PM EDT
Daisy buck? Seems to be one of the perennial contenders. Anything else I should consider? I’m open to other suggestions anybody has.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
That’s what I used. Now my sons are 18 and 21, very capable with firearms, and model citizens. It all started with that little Daisy.

Make everyone wear safety glasses. Keep his first target to show him when he grows up.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#2]
My 7 year old loves his airsoft Mk18.  
212AB895 7B83 4217 9775 89ED4195E060
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Skeet shooting his birthday balloons
DC2C88C0 34AB 4285 ADB8 F7FE4B116731
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the looks of the model 10 carbine. Looks like the same basic rifle as the buck but with a couple nice aesthetic features.

https://www.daisy.com/product/Model-10-Carbine/?itemnumber=992010-001
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]
BB guns suck.*
Get the kid a nerf gun. More appropriate for a 3yr old.
When they turn 7 train them on a pellet rifle.

*So inaccurate they are useless for learning marksmanship.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Skeet shooting his birthday balloons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwvQaZlOQd0
View Quote
That’s pretty funny. He’s pretty good from the hip!
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BB guns suck.*
Get the kid a nerf gun. More appropriate for a 3yr old.
When they turn 7 train them on a pellet rifle.

*So inaccurate they are useless for learning marksmanship.
View Quote
Hmm, well I suppose accuracy is a relative thing. I find a daisy buck or equivalent plenty capable of consistent soda can hits at 10 or 15 feet. They’re at least as “accurate” as a nerf gun. I would also have to disagree they’re useles for marksmanship training. Teaching fundamentals of safety, sight picture/alignment, and body positions are completely possible with the B.B. gun. That’s not to say a nerf gun cant accomplish the same things, they certainly can. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little excited about the prospect of being able to shoot something in the backyard when he gets bored with it, though. Perhaps I could even use it to persuade the pesky rabbits to find another feeding ground. My front lawn is in shambles cause of those little bastards this year.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#8]
All good points. I was a bit rash.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought my daughter a Daisy Buck, spent a bunch of time prepping it and painting it pink.

The trigger pull sucked so bad that she really had a hard time shooting it accurately.

If I had it to do over I would find something with a decent trigger. Gotta be something better out there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#10]
See my post on the Daisy 853.  They were made for youth air rifle training so the length of pull isn't too long ( but can be lengthened with included spacers).  Single shot, low powered tack drivers.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:32:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Picked up 3 Red Ryder BB guns on clearance at Walmart for $5 a piece, only problem is they are pink. No problem, sand the pink paint off and paint them my nephews favorite colors.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]
So after a couple months of fence sitting I decided to grab one of those daisy model 10 carbines. I quickly found that they aren’t readily available anymore. They appear to be discontinued from Daisy’s line. I think I found the only one left on the internet at a Jax in Ames Iowa. Had it shipped to me in CO.

I like the aesthetics of the saddle ring and wooden hand guard but they seem to be a buck underneath it all.  I wonder if it didn’t sell well or what? Maybe people weren’t excited to pay the extra $20 for the nicer furniture but I think it’s worth it.  I’m looking forward to shooting with my son. He turns 4 next month and I’ll give it to him then. Hopefully he’s as excited as I am!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top