Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2017 12:50:09 AM EDT
Should I use Gold Dot 124gr +P or Ranger 147gr T-Series?  This will obviously for home defense.  Eventually I want to Form 1 a Suppressor.  Will ether of these make a difference with a suppressor? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m very partial to the 147 grain Gold Dots. They run well in my MPX and it’s a combination I’d keep by the bed for a bump in the night. I’m currently running a Rugged Obsidian 45 on mine with a tri lug. Not really any gas to the face that I’m noticing.

Reliability has been 100% and accuracy is outstanding.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm waiting on my form 1&4 to clear and when it does I will be running Speer 147Gr. CleanFire ammo with my Omega 9K. Good bang for the buck for cleaner then average ammo.

Speer Lawman CleanFire 147Gr.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
For range use I shoot Federal HST 147+P, Speer 124gr+P, and a majority of Federal 115gr FMJ. I have my optic (Trijicon MRO) set for the Federal HST, because the it's my go-to HD load. My MPX has a Carbine length barrel, and I'm waiting for my SBR paperwork to be approved so I can hack off the flash hider, and run my Gemtech GM-9. I plan on shortening the barrel length to 10.0" once I get the Form 1 back.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Why shoot HST at the range beyond a good function check? I also use 147gr HST for self-defense but after shooting a couple hundred rounds to ensure my gun cycles it well, I'm not going to waste it punching paper. If my optic is 3" off with cheap range ammo, who cares?
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why shoot HST at the range beyond a good function check? I also use 147gr HST for self-defense but after shooting a couple hundred rounds to ensure my gun cycles it well, I'm not going to waste it punching paper. If my optic is 3" off with cheap range ammo, who cares?
View Quote
I was taught to train as I fight. Ammo expense is inconsequential when it comes to my life. If I am going to blow through a few hundred rounds I will use 115gr, but I always end the range session with my carry/HD ammo. I also happen to have several 9mm PCC's, so I run what the weapon eats best.

3" can be the difference between a critical hit, or a non life threatening wound.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think you understood my 3" comment.

If your optic is set for HST, then it will always be dead on with HST. My point was that, for training, the optic doesn't have to be dead on. For example, if you know that 115gr prints 3" high compared to HST, you can train with it and know that all your 3" high groups are fine. There's no concern about missing a critical shot in a hostile situation, because you'll be using HST.

Personally I can afford to shoot twice as much practice ammo compared to blasting duty ammo at paper, and I think the extra practice is better than the marginal effect of having my optic always perfectly match my point of impact.

You do you, though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Ppu 158gr or Speer 147gr.

I prefer the 158's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top