Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/9/2018 8:19:20 PM EDT
I know a lot of people throw out P226, USP and apparently for different reasons.

Some people just like to vote their favorite pistol brand.

I usually see the P226 touted for its long lock-up, being quieter than average.  Same goes for 1911s.

I see mixed results on the Beretta M9/92 series---some say it is louder than average, others say its great and may not need a piston.

I've seen the USP touted for durability, but not necessarily for being quiet.  Conversely, I've seen reports of the P226 frame rails wearing fast as hell unless a very heavy recoil spring is used.

Is there a definitive test video out there with the same suppressor on multiple hosts with the same ammo?  As for durability/reliability concerns those can only be borne  out by the enduser IMO.

Who's used them all and has a strong preference?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you mean by durability?
Guns that won’t beat themselves up with backpressure or what?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Best is too subjective for an internet gun forum.

ETA: Would the “best 9mm host” need the “best 9mm can”?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Beretta 92FS, Sig P226, HK USP Tactical. They are all great 9mm hosts. I'd use a booster for all for reliability. While the Beretta can run without a booster if light enough suppressor and you play with recoil springs, it's still better just to use a booster and not mess with recoil springs. Hammer fired handguns all seem to work well suppressed.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember seeing the data about 10-12 years ago.

The 226 is quieter by the numbers.  It’s not amazingly quieter, but if you are chasing db then it’s more than internet lore.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Maxim
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I remember seeing the data about 10-12 years ago.

The 226 is quieter by the numbers.  It's not amazingly quieter, but if you are chasing db then it's more than internet lore.
View Quote
I'll be mixing a P226 with a Kraken soon.  My Maxim should beat the Kraken back though.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Look at the CZ-P09.  20rnd capacity, reliability of CZ75B internals, rail, interchangeable between decocker & manual safety, glow sights, comes with different sized palm swells you can change out, full size, da/sa, awesome shooting gun!! It's the closest thing I've found in a polymer gun that feels like my 1911....it's a great shooting gun, and feels great in the hand.  PSA had them on sale for $369......can't be beat for the price.

I've got XD's, Glocks, 1911's, Kel-Tecs, Rugers, S&W's, etc, etc........this CZ-P09 is by far my favorite gun to shoot.....well, my Dan Wesson CBOB is a pretty awesome gun also...it might be a tie. But the CBOB was about 3 times the price as the CZ-P09.

Did I mention 20rnd capacity?!!!

Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Look at the CZ-P09.  20rnd capacity, reliability of CZ75B internals, rail, interchangeable between decocker & manual safety, glow sights, comes with different sized palm swells you can change out, full size, da/sa, awesome shooting gun!! It's the closest thing I've found in a polymer gun that feels like my 1911....it's a great shooting gun, and feels great in the hand.  PSA had them on sale for $369......can't be beat for the price.

I've got XD's, Glocks, 1911's, Kel-Tecs, Rugers, S&W's, etc, etc........this CZ-P09 is by far my favorite gun to shoot.....well, my Dan Wesson CBOB is a pretty awesome gun also...it might be a tie. But the CBOB was about 3 times the price as the CZ-P09.

Did I mention 20rnd capacity?!!!

https://grabagun.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/C/Z/CZ-P-09-Duty-91620-806703916200.jpg_3.jpg
View Quote
My 226 TacOps also has 20rd mags. Quite a bit more expensive though.

Where are you getting a threaded barrel for the CZ?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yes, and I did come across an archived post here where a guy said he had crazy accelerated frame wear on his 226 from running suppressed and then a few people mentioned running 20-24lb recoil springs!

Quoted:
I'll be mixing a P226 with a Kraken soon.  My Maxim should beat the Kraken back though.
So will I, depending on how you define soon.  I form 4'd a kraken when they went on sale recently and own a Mk25-TB.

Quoted:
Beretta 92FS, Sig P226, HK USP Tactical. They are all great 9mm hosts. I'd use a booster for all for reliability. While the Beretta can run without a booster if light enough suppressor and you play with recoil springs, it's still better just to use a booster and not mess with recoil springs. Hammer fired handguns all seem to work well suppressed.
I have 2 of the 3.  And I have been Berettaless for long enough I'm about to pull the trigger on an M9A3.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:46:15 AM EDT
[#10]
In my humble opinion, pick what ever suppress-able pistol you already have, and enjoy shooting, get a threaded barrel and have fun. Then you’ll get another, etc... mine is currently a Sig P229 but this week I couldn’t resist a good deal on a new M&P 2.0 full-size 9mm with threaded barrel and suppressor-height sights, expecting it to be a good host for the money
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:13:13 AM EDT
[#11]
My initial reaction to this question is the USP Tactical. I'll admit bias as I love HK pistols.

In today's market there are some real nice suppressor ready guns that aren't the USP. If all I had was a Glock 17 or 19 I'd just throw on a threaded barrel and go shooting while pricing suppressor sights.

There are some newer suppressor-ready options, too. CZ has some guns that have my attention (particularly the metal-framed versions but I don't own a CZ).

I have a VP9 and a Sig P320 X-Five, and the VP9 tactical or a 320 with threaded barrel seem like good options. If I went with a 320 I'd immediately order an X-frame grip module for it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have 2 of the 3.  And I have been Berettaless for long enough I'm about to pull the trigger on an M9A3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I would respectfully disagree on using a booster in the Beretta.
Back before boosters/LCDs/LIDs/Nielson Devices or whatever you want to call them were invented, you were severely limited on your host selection.  It was either a fixed barrel gun like a HK P9, or a Beretta.  
I was playing with suppressors before the boosters were coming out and the trick was you just swap out your hammer spring on the Beretta for the 92D spring (double action only).  Don't mess with the recoil spring.  This way when you are going back on forth suppressed/unsuppressed, you are NOT swapping ANY springs.  The double action only spring obviously works fine unsuppressed....

Pictured below are two of my suppressed Beretta 92G's.  Top is using a Gemtech Trinity and bottom is an SWR GS9K2.
Middle is a Silencerco Octane for comparison.
The Trinity and GS9K2 were some of the first 'modular' (modular mounts, not length) cans but still had a 1.25" diameter and light enough to work without a booster.
Back then, if you went to the 1.37" diameter cans you pretty much had to go to booster due to weight.

These days, you have these cans that are modular in length as well so one of those w/o a booster may work.

I frankly hate boosted setups as they:
1. increase recoil
2. blow more crap back into the action and your face
3. another thing to maintain as they can get fouled and another moving part

If you don't believe me try a non-boosted setup (like a Beretta) side by side a boosted one.

I now have a Maxim9 and think that is the best suppressed 9mm pistol setup out there.  I think my Beretta is quieter but love the compactness of the Maxim and 'holsterability'.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#13]
i've shot my Ber 92D with my full-length 45 Obsidian, both with booster and with fixed-spacer-replacing-the-booster-spring.

never had an issue when using booster, but it doesn't fully function with fixed spacer. can anyone explain why? is it the weight of the can? should i attempt it again with the can in its shortened mode?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting, thanks.

Too bad none of the "known as a good host" guns aren't on there.  Though a P229 is really a shortened 226 I guess it is possible the lock up time is shorter.

That FRP.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#16]
My XD9 suppressor ready 9mm that set me back $370 is the most accurate and quiet host gun I have.  I only have one other a walther P99, but this gun is soo quiet and accurate that I wont search for another.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#17]
FN 509 Tactical!
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Beretta 92 series.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I shot my Glock 19 and Cz sp01 back to back today with my Obsidian 45.  Without a direct side by side, I really couldn’t say one was quieter, most likely the cz but not by much. The sp01 is tighter fit and more balanced with suppressor, but the Glock is a pound lighter.  For home defense, the Obsidian lives on the Glock.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
i've shot my Ber 92D with my full-length 45 Obsidian, both with booster and with fixed-spacer-replacing-the-booster-spring.

never had an issue when using booster, but it doesn't fully function with fixed spacer. can anyone explain why? is it the weight of the can? should i attempt it again with the can in its shortened mode?
View Quote
Even though many consider the 92 series to be a fixed barrel, the barrel does in fact move. The locking block needs to swing freely.

From Wikipedia: The falling locking block design provides good accuracy and operability with suppressors due to the in-line travel of the barrel. This is in contrast to the complex travel of Browning designed barrels.

Lighter weight cans like the GM-9 can usually get away with it, so long as the piston is well lubed.

The Obsidian is a great can, but all that steel has a weight penalty.  I’d bet anything around 8oz and under would probably cycle with standard subs.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:07:38 AM EDT
[#21]
The Walther (Beretta) locking block has the advantage of not tilting the barrel.  This is not a problem for the bullet, which is long gone, but it is a problem for the action.  Since the barrel tilting on a traditional pistol has to push the barrel down and suppressor up in order to operate the action.  The Beretta does not.  This results in less whipping of the gun and less movement in general and reduces the lateral forces on the can, LID, and the host firearm.  This does not mean you can eliminate the LID.  This isn't a fixed-barrel gun.  It does mean, though, if you have a fixed can with no LID that is light enough, the action can function just fine.  Might want to use hotter ammo, though.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#22]
If I do run the booster on my M9/92 (increasing the rearward slide velocity) should I then bump up the recoil spring weight like with the P226?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#23]
If you are looking at the P-09, or P-07 get the suppressor ready or urban grey model, it’s got the extended mags, threaded barrel, suppressor night sights, vs the psa $369 plus $200+ for barrel and sights...  One below is 21+1 rds...

Buds or grabagun have P-09 for around $520-$550 shipped or P-07 around $500 shipped...
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:05:02 AM EDT
[#24]
This thread is really making me want to get a Beretta.   I could do without cleaning pistons.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:20:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This thread is really making me want to get a Beretta.   I could do without cleaning pistons.
View Quote
The 92 is both a good and bad host.  The inline short recoil system lends to excellent reliability with a wide range of cans and ammo.  My stock (except for muzzle threads) 92 has never hiccupped suppressed, even with 165 gr. hush.  The downside to that reliability is that it's a result of the inline recoil design allowing the action to open sooner and faster, which means it's a louder host, and they tend to spit shit in your face.  No matter what can or what ammo, I get peppered by my 92.

Most handguns feel markedly more sluggish to me with a can installed.  The 92 doesn't.

The 92 does need a booster to function with typical suppressors, though.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:50:53 AM EDT
[#26]
my glocks are really gassy, even the .22lr g17 i built. been wanting a beretta and or an hk
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:23:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The 92 is both a good and bad host.  The inline short recoil system lends to excellent reliability with a wide range of cans and ammo.  My stock (except for muzzle threads) 92 has never hiccupped suppressed, even with 165 gr. hush.  The downside to that reliability is that it's a result of the inline recoil design allowing the action to open sooner and faster, which means it's a louder host, and they tend to spit shit in your face.  No matter what can or what ammo, I get peppered by my 92.

Most handguns feel markedly more sluggish to me with a can installed.  The 92 doesn't.

The 92 does need a booster to function with typical suppressors, though.
View Quote
In my experience, all those negatives you mentioned are a result of using a booster with a Beretta.  I have none of those issues with my non boosted Berettas.  It is the exact opposite.  They never spit shit in my face and they are extremely quiet.  My boosted Glocks/HKs do spit shit back in my face and have increased recoil.
Think about it...these boosters are designed to make Browning style lockup guns cycle...they are not tunable.  So of course they will have the negatives you mentioned when you put them on a falling locking block design like a Beretta.  I would imagine if you were to maybe get a weaker booster spring you could try to tune a booster for the Beretta to mitigate the negatives with a boosted Beretta but I have no experience with that nor desire since I have two old cans that work great non boosted.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#28]
When my Kraken clears I'll see if they have 1/2-28 fixed spacers by then and try it unboosted on my M9A3.

At 8.8oz it is close to the 8oz range you mention.

ETA:  Nope, now I see it is 9.9.  Damn it felt light when I handled it filling out the form 4.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When my Kraken clears I'll see if they have 1/2-28 fixed spacers by then and try it unboosted on my M9A3.

ETA:  Nope, now I see it is 9.9.  Damn it felt light when I handled it filling out the form 4.
View Quote
You should still try it.  I'm thinking about an M9A3 or a CZ P07 to serve as another host.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You should still try it.  I'm thinking about an M9A3 or a CZ P07 to serve as another host.
View Quote
I still will but I'm less hopeful it'll work now.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Attachment Attached File

Works extremely well without issue.  I have posted before though that to my ears, my P30L is a bit quieter.  That being said this is the one I shoot most often.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:21:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#33]
I just bought a USP Tactical for this purpose, have yet to shoot it though.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#34]
USP all day, everyday.  Honestly I couldn't tell you how many thousands of rounds I have through mine.  And if you do get one, do it right.  Get a Tactical model from the start.

Now, don't ever buy a Maxim like I did or all your dedicated pistol cans and hosts will slowly become obsolete unless you absolutely have to run a light or laser.  Putting one on a Maxim doesn't really work.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
My Phoenix IX is 6.9 ounces with a direct thread mount in place of piston & spring, and it's still too heavy for 100% reliable function on my 92FS. I suspect a can would need to be more in the 5 oz range like the tiny Thompson Machine critter.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I use a G19. Is it the 'best', no. But with factory threaded barrel it is very reliable.

Main reason I went with Glock is that they are easy to fully strip for cleaning. Suppressed guns get very dirty.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My Phoenix IX is 6.9 ounces with a direct thread mount in place of piston & spring, and it's still too heavy for 100% reliable function on my 92FS. I suspect a can would need to be more in the 5 oz range like the tiny Thompson Machine critter.
View Quote
I run an Omega 9k on M9A3 full time with a fixed mount, 147 gr Lawman for ammo.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting, I'll have to give it a try.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
What does it weigh?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#40]
This where IMI 158 may prove it's worth.  I know people say Fiocchi is quieter because it only runs 850ish fps but maybe the 960 of the IMI will cycle.  I won't find out for some time unfortunately.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
What's your rate of FTF?  My 92 will run with a rigid mount in the Phoenix, but like I said, it's not 100% reliable.  With a booster, I don't recall ever having a malfunction on the 92, regardless of can or ammo.  It'll even cycle the 165 gr Hush every time, which a lot of stock 9mm pistols won't.

I don't know what a 9K weighs exactly with a rigid mount, but I suspect about 7.5 oz.  Got a postage scale?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I just bought a USP Tactical for this purpose, have yet to shoot it though.
View Quote
The USP is a tank and the Tactical models are some of the best suppressor-ready handguns made.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Of everything I’ve owned or tried, my CZ SP-01 is by far my favorite. Super smooth to shoot and extremely quiet.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#44]
thank you gentleman, for the very helpful insights

Quoted:
Even though many consider the 92 series to be a fixed barrel, the barrel does in fact move. The locking block needs to swing freely.

From Wikipedia: The falling locking block design provides good accuracy and operability with suppressors due to the in-line travel of the barrel. This is in contrast to the complex travel of Browning designed barrels.

Lighter weight cans like the GM-9 can usually get away with it, so long as the piston is well lubed.

The Obsidian is a great can, but all that steel has a weight penalty.  I’d bet anything around 8oz and under would probably cycle with standard subs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

and

Quoted:
The Walther (Beretta) locking block has the advantage of not tilting the barrel.  This is not a problem for the bullet, which is long gone, but it is a problem for the action.  Since the barrel tilting on a traditional pistol has to push the barrel down and suppressor up in order to operate the action.  The Beretta does not.  This results in less whipping of the gun and less movement in general and reduces the lateral forces on the can, LID, and the host firearm.  This does not mean you can eliminate the LID.  This isn't a fixed-barrel gun.  It does mean, though, if you have a fixed can with no LID that is light enough, the action can function just fine.  Might want to use hotter ammo, though.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Over the years I've owned both threaded P7's and P9-S's. They were indeed popular hosts back in the day before a) the 92 series Beretta and other pistols with the same locking system (Walther P5, P-38, Taurus PT series) became popular to suppress due to their suppressor-friendly workings., and b) before we had manufacturers making cans with good dry performance that had boosters to work all the tilting barrel stuff. I've since gotten rid of the P9's and the threaded P7 (still have an unthreaded M8 that I'll never part with). The P7 in particular was very sensitive to back pressure. It never made the gun not run, but run too hard and fast. The suppressed P7 was not pleasant if you were shooting it due to ejection port noise. It did sound good to people standing nearby, but if I paid the tax, and I'm shooting, it's my ears you better make happy. The P7 with suppressor would also eject brass into the next zip code over. The P9's were not bad to shoot, but unless you had the target variant with the trigger stop and only shot it in single action, the triggers were pretty abominable. I'm afraid the Walther that uses the gas retarded blowback design like the P7 would suffer some of the same issues encountered with the P7.

At some point a handgun manufacturer should make a conventional tilting barrel 9mm that is designed from the get-go to be suppressed. The amount of time the slide and barrel travel locked together during operation could be tuned to generate less ejection port noise.

SilentMike
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The USP is a tank and the Tactical models are some of the best suppressor-ready handguns made.
View Quote
Maybe SilentMike can comment on this, but years ago, AAC (Silvers & KB) told me they break more HK handguns testing silencer than every other brand combined. Not sure if this was all HK or brand/caliber specific.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pictured below is my old non-boosted Gemtech Trinity.
This works 100% with my Beretta 92G's and 90-TWO's.  I have 5 of them.  All of them have the stock recoil spring in them.  As mentioned previously, I only swap out the hammer spring for the 92D (double action only hammer spring).
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Maybe SilentMike can comment on this, but years ago, AAC (Silvers & KB) told me they break more HK handguns testing silencer than every other brand combined. Not sure if this was all HK or brand/caliber specific.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also back when the boosters were coming out, HK used to state that you voided the warranty if you didn't use suppressors certified or whatever for their guns.  I can't recall for sure but think you only had the KAC cans and the BT cans that HK would support.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#49]
During the R&D phase of the Ti-Rants years ago, we did destroy a few USPs in 45. This occurred while shooting prototype silencers with different booster spring rates. I do recall one of them happened while we were playing with a prototype that had a spring loaded baffle core that moved within the tube to provide the de-coupling effect. A badly timed booster would typically destroy the gun within a single magazine of fire. The lock faces of the barrel and slide would get quickly battered from an unclean unlocking, eventually jamming the gun up so tight that a rubber mallet had to be used to beat things back in place. We 're testing the Illusion 45 now. Whenever we make any changes to the design, we always roll a USP 45 through the test pistol rotation as our canary in the coal mine. This is not an indictment of the USP's. With a quality silencer with a properly set up Nielsen device, you'll never have an issue. In fact, we never had an issue with the USP 9 or 40. I was present years ago when another manufacturer's prototype 45 can destroyed a USP Tactical in 45 in less than a magazine of use. This can was undersprung, and very heavy (~20 ounces). Outside of my own experiences and R&D, I've not heard of issues with any of the many thousands of USP Tacticals in 9, 40, and 45 that are run with a broad spectrum of manufacturers cans on them.

SilentMike
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What's your rate of FTF?  My 92 will run with a rigid mount in the Phoenix, but like I said, it's not 100% reliable.  With a booster, I don't recall ever having a malfunction on the 92, regardless of can or ammo.  It'll even cycle the 165 gr Hush every time, which a lot of stock 9mm pistols won't.

I don't know what a 9K weighs exactly with a rigid mount, but I suspect about 7.5 oz.  Got a postage scale?
View Quote
It only gets sketchy with reliability if it gets dirty. A Couple hundred rounds or so. It won't run 124 gr range ammo very well, it will cycle the 147 Lawman, 147 HST, 124 gr MEN, hotter stuff.

Don't have a scale, not that it would help because I have the can loctited on the barrel
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top