Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2022 1:43:21 AM EDT
What is the best 1x optic and mount for passive shooting with a helmet mounted PVS14?
I am OK with red dots but seem to be developing an astigmatism as I get older.
What do you recommend for both optic and mount?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I think a Aimpoint T2 and Unity 2.33 height mount will probably be one of the most popular recommendations…

And for good reason
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 3:11:12 AM EDT
[#2]
The best under NOD is the Eotech on a Unity Tactical.

The best when you consider durability and battery life is probably some sort of Aimpoint on a Unity Tac mount.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 3:13:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

@lilMAC25 Which Eotech?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 3:14:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@lilMAC25 Which Eotech?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@lilMAC25 Which Eotech?

EXPS3
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Big Window optics will give you the most head position fudge factor. EOT and HS AEMS both have the best IR Light Transmission based on what gets posted here. Re: Astigmatism - Your NOD is looking at the LED Reticle, and it's diopter is focused for your eye - are you sure you still see a "slash/starburst"? (I have Astigmatism and my RMR and HS 407c look like crisp dots under NODs, that's why I ask). If you need etched (EoTech HoloLASER not in Budget), the new PA MicroPrism 1x is 100% under NODs - just tested it with both Digital and Analog.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I hover between the Eotech and a T2 in a unity mount.

The window on the eotech is a lot larger so that helps some but I still see the "black box" of the housing with the eotech. I like the 65moa ring though.

With a T2 if I remove the flip caps I don't see nearly as much of the housing, its still there but does not feel intrusive.

the T2 weighs less especially considering the added unity mount for the Eotech to get it at a height you want for aiming.
battery life is a lot better on a T2 also.

But by the time you buy a T2 and a unity mount you are dropping 1k

All things to consider. But I like a T2 in a unity mount personally.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Agree with what everyone has said.  OP might consider the Midwest Industries mount depending on budget.  Same 2.33 height at a much lower price.

I'm currently running all 1.93 but sort of wish I'd gone 2.33.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Since the magnifier and RDS  an be offset I run a 1.83 mount and a 1/3rd co whitness 3XC. With a 14 I've run a T1 and Comp series aimpoints on 1/3 mounts with KAC low profile sights. While 1/3 are the lowest I'd run it can be done by either using the toe of the stock on your shoulder or canting the optic inboard. The higher RDS mounts are great for shooting on the move but suck ass for prone or trying to take a precision shot with your magnifier due to parallax with no check weld.

Also a RDS such as a T2 and a 3XC magnifier with a diopter may help with aging eyes and your astigmatism
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#11]
EXPS 3-0 on a riser if I am being paid to kick in doors at night on a regular basis.

T2 on a Scalarworks 1.93" mount if I am just a normal gun/NV enthusiast who shoots the same setup daytime/night time and value long battery life and something resembling a cheek weld.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Since the magnifier and RDS  an be offset I run a 1.83 mount and a 1/3rd co whitness 3XC. With a 14 I've run a T1 and Comp series aimpoints on 1/3 mounts with KAC low profile sights. While 1/3 are the lowest I'd run it can be done by either using the toe of the stock on your shoulder or canting the optic inboard. The higher RDS mounts are great for shooting on the move but suck ass for prone or trying to take a precision shot with your magnifier due to parallax with no check weld.

Also a RDS such as a T2 and a 3XC magnifier with a diopter may help with aging eyes and your astigmatism
View Quote

That's interesting....never used a magnifier. Does the magnifier's diopter reduce the starbursting from astigmatism alot?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's interesting....never used a magnifier. Does the magnifier's diopter reduce the starbursting from astigmatism alot?
View Quote

Depends on how bad of an astigmatism you have. For me I see a comma or slash and using a 4MOA Aimpoint Comp and a 3XC magnifier I can make it crisp and round.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Big Window optics will give you the most head position fudge factor. EOT and HS AEMS both have the best IR Light Transmission based on what gets posted here. Re: Astigmatism - Your NOD is looking at the LED Reticle, and it's diopter is focused for your eye - are you sure you still see a "slash/starburst"? (I have Astigmatism and my RMR and HS 407c look like crisp dots under NODs, that's why I ask). If you need etched (EoTech HoloLASER not in Budget), the new PA MicroPrism 1x is 100% under NODs - just tested it with both Digital and Analog.
View Quote

The dot looks fine under NV, but I also shoot the same gun during the day and the dot is starting to look like a comma or Starburst. Not all the time, but seems to be happening more often. I'd like something that will work for day and night. I do have to say that I can't imagine the dot getting so bad that I couldn't use it for defensive purposes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Another EXPS3.0 vote
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think a Aimpoint T2 and Unity 2.33 height mount will probably be one of the most popular recommendations…

And for good reason
View Quote

^^^This.  Feels very natural.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And for good reason
View Quote

Even after using an Eotech, the T2 on a Unity is what's on all of my rifles.  It's perfection.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Is the Unity mount that much better than the KAC Skyscraper? I vaguely remember that being the craze when it first came out but wasn't following the NV stuff as much then.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:56:37 PM EDT
[#20]
The MI 2.33" T2 mount only weighs 2.7 oz. I'm not sure what the Unity weighs. The Unity is also 2.26" high, not 2.33". The Unity looks cooler but that does not matter to me. I imagine both are durable and reliable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Concur.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The best when you consider durability and battery life is probably some sort of Aimpoint on a Unity Tac mount.

Concur.

Quoted:
I hover between the Eotech and a T2 in a unity mount.

The window on the eotech is a lot larger so that helps some but I still see the "black box" of the housing with the eotech. I like the 65moa ring though.

With a T2 if I remove the flip caps I don't see nearly as much of the housing, its still there but does not feel intrusive.

the T2 weighs less especially considering the added unity mount for the Eotech to get it at a height you want for aiming.
battery life is a lot better on a T2 also.

But by the time you buy a T2 and a unity mount you are dropping 1k

All things to consider. But I like a T2 in a unity mount personally.

All of this
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:00:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Just to reinforce the correct already posted above, the Unity mounts are 2.26, not 2.33.

The KAC is a great mount, but heavier than competing products.

Overbore makes a 2.33 mount which looks very similar to the Unity one, but it is a tad lighter still.

There's also an ADM 2.33 mount.

I've had EOtechs and Sig Romeo4Ts and Holosuns on my night guns, EOtech was the king for sure. But since I shoot the same guns in the day, and I have very bad astigmatism, I recently switch almost all my guns to the Primary Arms Micro Prism 1x. It's a game changer for me, and works great at night as well. Just as good as any micro sized sight. Just adjust the prism's diopter to be clear for your PVS-14.

Weight of the PA micro prism with the tall mount configuration (2.04") is comparable to a micro dot mounted on a tall riser.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#23]
This is the third time I'm posting this, so I'm sure someone will tell me to give it a rest - but the new PA 1x Micro does look good under Digital and Analog NV. When the Diopter is adjusted for your eye during daylight use - I need no changes at night, using infinity focus.

P.S. That is the 9mm Reticle, which is a bit smaller than the "Regular" Rifle Reticle. 9mm is smaller, so running leads match up to 9mm velocities vs 5.56.

Greyswandir - Silver Line
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:03:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is the third time I'm posting this, so I'm sure someone will tell me to give it a rest - but the new PA 1x Micro does look good under Digital and Analog NV. When the Diopter is adjusted for your eye during daylight use - I need no changes at night, using infinity focus.

https://i.imgur.com/Ov3GjmU.jpg
View Quote

Wow...that does look really good. Is the PA 1x micro in the silver or gold line?
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Also..

Is there any reason to go Aimpoint T2 over the Comp M5S (or vice versa) for night vision purposes?
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Wow...that does look really good. Is the PA 1x micro in the silver or gold line?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The PA 1x Micro is the Silver line. I can't find one in 5.56 reticle though. I am thinking about buying the 9mm reticle but am assuming the reticle subtensions will not be usable for 5.56. Use the dot for further work and the horseshoe for up close? Also, the mount on the PA only goes to just 2" I think which might be a show stopper for me.
@mickdonaldson what are your thoughts on the 2" height and eye relief for use under NODs?
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Also..

Is there any reason to go Aimpoint T2 over the Comp M5S (or vice versa) for night vision purposes?
View Quote

I heard the Comp5 works as good as the T2, just more weight obviously. I can tell you my PRO works just OK, but I'm sure the glass sucks when compared to the 5 or T2.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The PA 1x Micro is the Silver line. I can't find one in 5.56 reticle though. I am thinking about buying the 9mm reticle but am assuming the reticle subtensions will not be usable for 5.56. Use the dot for further work and the horseshoe for up close? Also, the mount on the PA only goes to just 2" I think which might be a show stopper for me.
@mickdonaldson what are your thoughts on the 2" height and eye relief for use under NODs?
View Quote

If you own Strelok Pro, it has the ACSS Gemini Reticle (Its the same Reticle as the 1st Gen Cyclops 9mm - per PA on IG). It'll remap for whatever round you enter.

I have a 1/2" Riser on the .300BLK, so my Vortex Micro 3x works with the Out of the box config, which is 1.535". So I'm at 2.035" and it's fine, buuuuuut - gotta say 2.2+ is probably more comfortable for my Giraffe neck. I'll play around with it. Eye Relief is friggen amazing, no worries there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Agree with what everyone has said.  OP might consider the Midwest Industries mount depending on budget.  Same 2.33 height at a much lower price.

I'm currently running all 1.93 but sort of wish I'd gone 2.33.
View Quote

I found the MI 2.33 height mount for $70 shipped. That's pretty hard to beat with a stick. And... it's only 2.7 ounces.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you own Strelok Pro, it has the ACSS Gemini Reticle (Its the same Reticle as the 1st Gen Cyclops 9mm - per PA on IG). It'll remap for whatever round you enter.

I have a 1/2" Riser on the .300BLK, so my Vortex Micro 3x works with the Out of the box config, which is 1.535". So I'm at 2.035" and it's fine, buuuuuut - gotta say 2.2+ is probably more comfortable for my Giraffe neck. I'll play around with it. Eye Relief is friggen amazing, no worries there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do own Strelok Pro. I also found a 1x 5.56 version. The only thing preventing me from trying it is the height. I'd really prefer something taller. I have a giraffe neck as well. I'm surprised PA didn't think about that or have the footprint match the T2.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I do own Strelok Pro. I also found a 1x 5.56 version. The only thing preventing me from trying it is the height. I'd really prefer something taller. I have a giraffe neck as well. I'm surprised PA didn't think about that or have the footprint match the T2.
View Quote

2.075" Max OOB. Use a Riser - Good enough for EOTech users, good enough for all Or find a Mini-ACOG Mount in your preferred height.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

2.075" Max OOB. Use a Riser - Good enough for EOTech users, good enough for all Or find a Mini-ACOG Mount in your preferred height.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know of a mini ACOG mount that would push the PA micro prism up to around 2.33?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Do you know of a mini ACOG mount that would push the PA micro prism up to around 2.33?
View Quote

Nah man, I don't - not a customer, and never owned a Mini-ACOG. I went the Riser route.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Nah man, I don't - not a customer, and never owned a Mini-ACOG. I went the Riser route.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@mickdonaldson Can you share what std. mounts you used (All of them?) and what riser you bought to get it to the correct/best NV height?

I don't want to spend $300 for something that may not work, if I could just put that $$ towards a T2. The micro prism sounds good though with regards to my growing astigmatism.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@mickdonaldson Can you share what std. mounts you used (All of them?) and what riser you bought to get it to the correct/best NV height?

I don't want to spend $300 for something that may not work, if I could just put that $$ towards a T2. The micro prism sounds good though with regards to my growing astigmatism.
View Quote

I use UTG Pro (Made in Michigan) Risers. I think they are under $30 on Amazon. They have 1/2" and 3/4". If you take the out of box setup at 1.535" (that's what I use) and put it on a 1/2" Riser, you get 2.035". If you put it on a 3/4" Riser, you get 2.285". I use the Full Receiver Length ones, as I have a Magnifier too, they make shorter ones.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I use UTG Pro (Made in Michigan) Risers. I think they are under $30 on Amazon. They have 1/2" and 3/4". If you take the out of box setup at 1.535" (that's what I use) and put it on a 1/2" Riser, you get 2.035". If you put it on a 3/4" Riser, you get 2.285". I use the Full Receiver Length ones, as I have a Magnifier too, they make shorter ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@mickdonaldson Thank You for the info. If I wanted to buy a single, short riser how many slots would I need? Also, can you send me a link to the one you have? I am seeing a bunch of different ones and I can't tell if it's the one you were happy with. Also, what magnifier are you running?
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

@mickdonaldson Thank You for the info. If I wanted to buy a single, short riser how many slots would I need? Also, can you send me a link to the one you have? I am seeing a bunch of different ones and I can't tell if it's the one you were happy with. Also, what magnifier are you running?
View Quote

The Optic Base is about 2 1/8" long, and makes 5 Slots unusable (It covers 4 and hangs over the 5th). I use this 13 Slot (full Receiver length) Riser - the 0.5" height currently - may go 0.75":

UTG Riser

I use a Vortex Micro 3x.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 12:38:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The Optic Base is about 2 1/8" long, and makes 5 Slots unusable (It covers 4 and hangs over the 5th). I use this 13 Slot (full Receiver length) Riser - the 0.5" height currently - may go 0.75":

UTG Riser

I use a Vortex Micro 3x.
View Quote

Thank You.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

P.S. That is the 9mm Reticle, which is a bit smaller than the "Regular" Rifle Reticle. 9mm is smaller, so running leads match up to 9mm velocities vs 5.56.

Greyswandir - Silver Line
View Quote

I will concur with this. I have a PVS 14 and I decided that the eotech XPS 3 I had was not worth keeping. These PA 1x prisms are actually pretty damn good under nods. Their light transmission is better than holosun.  Id put them in between holosun and aimpoint in regards to light transmission.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 2:00:08 AM EDT
[#41]
I picked up a PA 1x microprism and mounted it on a Unity riser. Puts the center of the optic at about 2.25" or so. I am going to give it a try and if I need to go higher I will add one of the PA cantilever Risers. I am impressed with the 1x so far in daylight. Will try under nods in the next week or so.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I picked up a PA 1x microprism and mounted it on a Unity riser. Puts the center of the optic at about 2.25" or so. I am going to give it a try and if I need to go higher I will add one of the PA cantilever Risers. I am impressed with the 1x so far in daylight. Will try under nods in the next week or so.
View Quote

Care to post a pic? I'm curious to see what it looks like.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will update this post later today with a picture. It really goes against the grain with me to mount a riser in between rail and optic, but there really is no choice today unless you want to run under the 2.26 - 2.33 ideal NV height. The look is kinda growing on me anyway.

@SpyHawk

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:09:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I will update this post later today with a picture. It really goes against the grain with me to mount a riser in between rail and optic, but there really is no choice today unless you want to run under the 2.26 - 2.33 ideal NV height. The look is kinda growing on me anyway.

@SpyHawk

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241166/20220116_170655_jpg-2242749.JPG
View Quote

That's not half bad. Thanks for sharing!

I'm currently using the factory 2.07 mount configuration. Medium riser plus tall cantilever. Not really a big fan of the look and would like another quarter inch or so.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm currently using the factory 2.07 mount configuration. Medium riser plus tall cantilever. Not really a big fan of the look and would like another quarter inch or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@SpyHawk

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241166/20220116_170655_jpg-2242749.JPG

By my crude measurement this put the centerline about 2.25" above the rail. I still have not been able to test with NV. To be honest, this optic works really well for me in daylight. If it works better than my AP PRO under NV I may not even buy an Eotech or AP T2. Durability would be my only concern.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

By my crude measurement this put the centerline about 2.25" above the rail. I still have not been able to test with NV. To be honest, this optic works really well for me in daylight. If it works better than my AP PRO under NV I may not even buy an Eotech or AP T2. Durability would be my only concern.
View Quote

Prisms in general are tough as heck, so I don't think I'd worry about that. However, what mount does it use? Does the 1x SLX use a proprietary mounting footprint or is it T1/2?
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Prisms in general are tough as heck, so I don't think I'd worry about that. However, what mount does it use? Does the 1x SLX use a proprietary mounting footprint or is it T1/2?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It uses the mini ACOG footprint. However, I have not been able to find a mini ACOG mount that puts centerline in the 2.25 - 2.33 height I am looking for.
Also, regarding your question regarding the M5 vs. T2. It appears the M5 was made at the request of a particular military unit. It is rated to go deeper under water, but other than that everything I read says they are both the same in glass clarity. The M5 uses a AAA battery while the T2 uses a CR 2032. They both share the same footprint. Most reviews tend to steer to the T2 because of the price difference.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#48]
After shooting in daylight with the PA 1x microprism I am very impressed.  Nothing not to like. If it works well under NODS I truly question whether or not I need to spend $700 on a T2. If this wasn't my SHTF rifle I probably wouldn't even be considering a T2 at this point. Just feels a little strange to have a $250 Chinese optic on my go to gun.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
After shooting in daylight with the PA 1x microprism I am very impressed.  Nothing not to like. If it works well under NODS I truly question whether or not I need to spend $700 on a T2. If this wasn't my SHTF rifle I probably wouldn't even be considering a T2 at this point. Just feels a little strange to have a $250 Chinese optic on my go to gun.
View Quote

Mine works great under nods.

Just make sure to adjust the diopter on the optic to get a clear image of the reticle. For my eyes I do not need to adjust my nods for the optic.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Just make sure to adjust the diopter on the optic to get a clear image of the reticle. For my eyes I do not need to adjust my nods for the optic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're saying to adjust the 1x diopter for my eye? If so, I've already done that. I assume whatever focus you are running on the PVS14 will work? If I have to set the focus of the PVS14 on the reticle that may be a show stopper.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top