Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2019 2:10:15 PM EDT
Anyone get one?
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Do not buy a Helwan version of the M51.  They are more than a little iffy.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
i learned that years ago

the hard way
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought one a couple years ago.  Numrich I think.  Israeli gun.  Interesting pistol.  A bit weird.  Nothing terribly remarkable about it.  Sold it quickly as it really didn’t do anything special.

Trigger was ok.  Sights were small.  Reliable.  Average accuracy
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Had a Helwan a while back, Shot nice and I really liked the gun, but the locking block was already looking a little beat up so I sold it.

I'd pickup a Beretta if I found one for a decent price.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#5]
If you can find a Beretta built gun, grab it.  Great shooters and under rated.  Different controls but doable.  First time I handled and trained with one was way back during Bright Star 85'.  The Egyptian SF were carrying them at the time.  Later over the years have handled several Iraqi Tarqis.  Neither can compare to a Beretta for fit and finish nor operation.

CD
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one of the Israeli imports from Cole Distributing before they went out of business because of that fire. I like it.

Link Posted: 8/7/2019 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Was about to pull the trigger on one of these from classic until I read that due to the fact that they cannot verify the manufacturer date range on them (M1951 was produced from 1953 to 1980) they are only selling them to FFL01's. So for that reason I am passing as it will cost me another 20$ for transfer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 2:08:53 AM EDT
[#8]
In my opinion the Beretta 1951 is a great gun, even some of the Helwan's are good especially the older ones with Arabic marking on the slide.

It all comes down to maintenance, especially the springs and the locking blocks.

Getting parts for both the Beretta 1951 & Helwan's is basically impossible even in Europe.. That's why I decided to reverse engineer the locking blocks and add some modern specs to them.
Updating the metallurgy, creating a parallel design and adding radius cuts to the fracture points has resulted in the most high quality locking blocks ever made.

Should anybody be interested in more information on this project, don't hesitate to contact me..

Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In my opinion the Beretta 1951 is a great gun, even some of the Helwan's are good especially the older ones with Arabic marking on the slide.

It all comes down to maintenance, especially the springs and the locking blocks.

Getting parts for both the Beretta 1951 & Helwan's is basically impossible even in Europe.. That's why I decided to reverse engineer the locking blocks and add some modern specs to them.
Updating the metallurgy, creating a parallel design and adding radius cuts to the fracture points has resulted in the most high quality locking blocks ever made.

Should anybody be interested in more information on this project, don't hesitate to contact me..

https://66.media.tumblr.com/a4130a9201d1d56120d1a1dd4b461257/tumblr_psbw8pEknI1ypallho1_1280.jpg
View Quote
@Wess-13 that's so funny: I just got one from you the other day on eBay! Didn't know you were a broer from here: so cool!
You already shipped it to me in San Diego (it's on its way): dankuwel!

PS So I do have an M1951 as well and by shooting it I broke one of those blocks; couldn't find it anywhere but you. Bless you.
Mine awaiting to be fixed:

1957 Beretta M951 by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:40:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll eventually get one.... they are great shooters and kick ass that you're making new locking blocks.
View Quote
I should've taken two blocks instead of one; I broke one while shooting at the range and no one figured out what it could be until I brought her to a good smith here in San Diego.
Even just to open the slide (i.e., being able to rack it back) was a pain for him; not even sure how he made it as several folks tried for days.

What we should all be doing is to buy these replacements, put aside the original blocks (they are a known weak spot with these handguns) and just run these newer ones. As soon as I hear back from our Dutch brother I am going to order another one in fact.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 12:18:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine ain't pretty, but most of the time she shoots.  Every once and a while it will just fail to extract.

It's an Izzy surplus gun bought through Numrich.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Should anyone need a true quality replacement locking block which is up to all the demanded standards..

Here is my shop :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254340520939

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254340529224

There are multiple listings on my seller's page should you require more than one.

Or contact me on [email protected] should you have any more questions..
View Quote
Glad you saw this; I am going to buy another one (as I told you via eGay, I should've bought two right from the start).

Will email you to connect as well anyways - thanks!

Fil
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Snip.  Disorientedpilot
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I too was going to buy one but then i saw they where not being sold to c&r because they can't verify the date so i ended up buying a m57
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I owned one (Beretta) years ago.....It was pretty marginal in every category one could consider. I'd not want another. In fact I traded it off when the E.G. Maks arrived.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I got my barrel block from Wess and it's just a fantastic drop in.
May require to slam that slide a few times AND oil the system but it's fantastic; so much I bought another!

Thanks, Wess!
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Update: I shot my 1951 with Wess' replacement part and the handgun is simply exceptional.

It worked flawlessly and I couldn't recommend this barrel block more than I do!

At The range by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks mate! I'm glad you like it!
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks mate! I'm glad you like it!
View Quote
It was the only hope for an old handgun such as mine to keep its value and shoot ability. Priceless.
PS be aware of the fact that a few batches of authentic Beretta 1951s have been just imported here into the US; a few hundred of them in fact.

The 'issue' will repeat itself and barrel blocks will be needed

Beretta 1951 by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Retouched this Beretta slightly in some spots with cold blue and re-oiled everything.
Operation really smooth, very happy having salvaged this one

1957 Beretta 1951 9mm
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

1957 Beretta 1951 9mm
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#24]
If you ever do hit me up for a new locking block, I've re-manufactured top quality ones and gave them some modern upgrades.

They come in Generation 1 & 2
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you ever do hit me up for a new locking block, I've re-manufactured top quality ones and gave them some modern upgrades.

They come in Generation 1 & 2
View Quote
Can you show us the difference between the two? Which type did I get?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL, they suck.

I have one.  After about two mags the slide quit moving.  I hammered it off with a piece of wood.  The rails warped under fire.  Cheap ass steel.

The Italian ones are good to go.  But quite antiquated.  There were better guns from before WWII.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Has anyone picked up one from Atlantic?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top