Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2020 1:34:17 AM EDT
Can you tell me between the Beretta 1301 12ga and the Benelli M1/M2 12ga - which one do you prefer for overall reliability & which operating system is superior ?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Can’t speak to the Beretta but I have an M2 I bought new in 2013. It’s been my main compettition shotgun since and has over 50K shells through it. Its light so the recoil impulse is different (inertia driven) - broke it in whith some heaven loads and it’s run everything I have tried in it. Wouldn’t trade it for anything out there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#2]
DOG556 your message box is full and check your emails.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:39:56 AM EDT
[#3]
This doesn't help much on the technical side of things, but I recently looked at the M2 Tactical and the 1301 Tactical and decided to get the 1301 Tactical. I haven't shot it a lot as I just got it, but it cycled that crappy Winchester bulk pack 12 gauge from Wal-Mart without a single hiccup. It also cycles very fast. I think it comes down to personal preference and whether you prefer the inertia system or a gas system. I would have been plenty happy with the M2 Tactical I suspect, but I think I made a good choice in the 1301. I did add the Nordix MXT mag extension to it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m interested in information on this as well. I’ve got an M1S90 tactical and thinking of a 1301 for my son.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I really like my Beretta 1301, it will cycle everything I feed it. The Benelli M2 is a great gun too though. Can't really go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#6]
They're both really good. I prefer my 1301 tactical Gen 2.

The minor quibbles with M2 Tactical:
1. FTE when shouldering hard (common to inertia operating system), I can make it fail to eject with 3" shells 1oz slugs by shouldering firmly, let alone light bird shot.
2. Shell latch is super stiff compared to 1301 (makes twins loading a pain in the butt)
3. Charging handle too small (preference)
4. Bolt release button too small (preference)
5(?). Recoil is slightly higher compared to 1301 blink system (might be in my head though, The pad on a Magpul SGA stock is softer than the pad on the Benelli. Not a fair comparison as I've never shot my 1301 with the OEM stock).

Minor quibbles with 1301 Tactical Gen 2:
1. Stock Charging handle feels super flimsy (I haven't broken it... yet)
2. Cross bolt safety is in a non "standard" location (I would've preferred it located at the rear of the trigger guard like a Remington, Benelli, etc.)
3. Shell release/Bolt catch combo button is in a terrible place (located in front of trigger guard at the rear of the lifter)
4. Dirtier than inertia system. Carbon build up around the gas piston area, etc.
5(?). Recoil spring is underneath the foreend (I suppose this makes it more susceptible to the ingress of debris that can cause malfunctions, but I'm not dragging my 1301s through mud, nor do I live near a desert.)
---------------------------------
The user induced malfunctions that can occur when shouldering too firmly (of which I have a natural tendency of doing) on the inertia system is what makes me prefer my 1301. No FTF or FTE with my 1301s yet (both Tactical Gen 2 and Comp). However, I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I have extensive experience with both and like shooting the Beretta better but there is a lot to be said about the simplicity of the Benelli.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Message box cleaned out
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DOG556 your message box is full and check your emails.
View Quote
Didn’t get anything.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both, I ran my m2 for about 10 years and love it... a low estimate would be 10k rounds without any issues. (I've also loaned it to countless new shooters' who also had good experiences with it)

I made the decision to pick up a 1301 for the 2019 shooting season on the recommendations of friends saying it had less felt recoil than my m2 (I have a pretty screwed up shoulder).  Initially I hated the 1301, the stock succccccckkkked and the safety placement drove me crazy. I switched to a magpul stock and immediately fell in love. The new stock fixed all the ergo issues and balanced the gun. I ran the 1301 all last season and really like it. With the new stock it does have less recoil than the m2, it's larger port makes it easier to reload and it shoots slugs like a laser. My M2 always shot low and left.

Longevity is the only thing I'm worried about with the 1301, m2's are know for running forever.  I'm only at about 2k rounds with the 1301 so I'll have to report in at the end of this season if I have any issues.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I have both.  I've shot the M2 for years and once a few things are tuned it is a superb firearm.  I've never had a problem with my Benelli with thousands and thousands of shells.  Slugs shoot poa and accurately.  I've only had my 1301 Comp Pro for a couple weeks.  I LOVE the way it shoots.  It points really good for me and slugs are dead on.  The loading however, is going to be a problem.  I've already opened up the port on the mill, but I'm going to have to cut the handgaurd to make clearance for loading quads.  This is where the M2 really shines.  I'm going to have to hold off on my final opinion on the 1301 to see how well I can get it to load quads strong hand.  Support side doesn't seem as bad.  Shootability wise, it's a great gun so far.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I did an evaluation for my agency to adopt semi-auto shotguns.

The Beretta 1301 is an outstanding shotgun for self defense and I highly recommend it.

The Benelli M4 though is the very pinnacle of hard use and reliability.

Buy the M4 and never look back

I now carry a 14" Benelli M4 at work and I train with it a lot with mostly 00 buck and slugs

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They're both really good. I prefer my 1301 tactical Gen 2.

The minor quibbles with M2 Tactical:
1. FTE when shouldering hard (common to inertia operating system), I can make it fail to eject with 3" shells 1oz slugs by shouldering firmly, let alone light bird shot.
2. Shell latch is super stiff compared to 1301 (makes twins loading a pain in the butt)
3. Charging handle too small (preference)
4. Bolt release button too small (preference)
5(?). Recoil is slightly higher compared to 1301 blink system (might be in my head though, The pad on a Magpul SGA stock is softer than the pad on the Benelli. Not a fair comparison as I've never shot my 1301 with the OEM stock).

Minor quibbles with 1301 Tactical Gen 2:
1. Stock Charging handle feels super flimsy (I haven't broken it... yet)
2. Cross bolt safety is in a non "standard" location (I would've preferred it located at the rear of the trigger guard like a Remington, Benelli, etc.)
3. Shell release/Bolt catch combo button is in a terrible place (located in front of trigger guard at the rear of the lifter)
4. Dirtier than inertia system. Carbon build up around the gas piston area, etc.
5(?). Recoil spring is underneath the foreend (I suppose this makes it more susceptible to the ingress of debris that can cause malfunctions, but I'm not dragging my 1301s through mud, nor do I live near a desert.)
---------------------------------
The user induced malfunctions that can occur when shouldering too firmly (of which I have a natural tendency of doing) on the inertia system is what makes me prefer my 1301. No FTF or FTE with my 1301s yet (both Tactical Gen 2 and Comp). However, I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either.
View Quote
Funny, your gripe about the safety location is my one gripe about the Benelli.  I find it very easy to inadvertently engage the safety when shooting my M1 left handed.  Removing the small plate from the end of the button on the left side help alleviate this though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Funny, your gripe about the safety location is my one gripe about the Benelli.  I find it very easy to inadvertently engage the safety when shooting my M1 left handed.  Removing the small plate from the end of the button on the left side help alleviate this though.
View Quote
It's going to take me a bit to get used to also, it's a bit of a reach to get to it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I have both. It’d be difficult for me to pick between the two. They’re both outstanding guns. The m2 is simpler and feels better in my hands. However it is usually significantly more expensive and has more felt recoil. If you can, feel them both and base your purchase on which one feels more right in your hands.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I would go with the 1301 because you can mount a Magpul buttstock and Magpul forestock on it, and mount an Aridus Tech CROM sight base with red dot and backup irons.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:34:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I did an evaluation for my agency to adopt semi-auto shotguns.

The Beretta 1301 is an outstanding shotgun for self defense and I highly recommend it.

The Benelli M4 though is the very pinnacle of hard use and reliability.

Buy the M4 and never look back

I now carry a 14" Benelli M4 at work and I train with it a lot with mostly 00 buck and slugs

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86935/C0D693AD-1DB6-42A5-84B0-E3CECCB24D34_jpe-1259316.JPG
View Quote
The only time I’ve ever been able to get my M4 to go down was after burning through some Monarch magnum shells. That shit was so dirty it caused like 1500 rounds worth of fouling in 50. Gun started cycling in slow motion and then just stopped and had to be manually operated.

Opened it up and the gas pistons were totally caked in shit.

Quickly blasted them with cleaner, wiped them off, popped them back in, ran the charging handle a few times to spread out lube, and the M4 was GTG again.

As far as my personal preferences, I’d go Benelli M4 Super90 —> Beretta 1301 Gen 2 —> Benelli M1/M2.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top