Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2019 10:08:44 AM EDT
I know... Another thread. Here’s my dilemma. I work for a company who works with Beretta and Benelli. Can get a new 1301 Tactical for $730 all in (taxes and shipping). Can get an M4 (pistol grip or full stock) for $1420. Don’t know how much I’ll shoot either - mostly for HD, the range, etc... Given the costs of both, any thoughts? I’m leaving towards the 1301 as given the gen 2 upgrades and nearly 40% off MSRP I get, I think this is too good a deal to pass up, but I’ve always lusted after the M4...
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I own both, the Beretta is the one I shoot the most, very fast slick gun & the price is right!
The M4 is a tank, very heavily built with a big following.
Both excellent guns, but the 1301 just feels better in my hands, if you can, try shooting both & see what feels better to you, with shotguns personal preference seems to vary alot.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#2]
It's hard to go wrong, both excellent guns. The M4 will hold it's value better.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know... Another thread. Here’s my dilemma. I work for a company who works with Beretta and Benelli. Can get a new 1301 Tactical for $730 all in (taxes and shipping). Can get an M4 (pistol grip or full stock) for $1420. Don’t know how much I’ll shoot either - mostly for HD, the range, etc... Given the costs of both, any thoughts? I’m leaving towards the 1301 as given the gen 2 upgrades and nearly 40% off MSRP I get, I think this is too good a deal to pass up, but I’ve always lusted after the M4...
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
1301 now

Benelli later
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#5]
If you get the Beretta because it's a good deal but really want the M4 you will kick yourself down the line and constantly second guess.

I have learned over the years, don't settle; get what you want or you will end up spending more money in the long run.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Both are excellent... I prefer the ruggedness and proven durability of the Benelli M4.

I’ve owned an 18” for around 10+ and I’m waiting on my stamp for my 14”

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all for feedback. One of the other components in play is how often I’ll shoot it. Maybe a few times a year and just kind of messing around at the range, Nothing too crazy where the Benelli’s tank like qualities come into play. As far as performance goes and reliability goes, I’ve heard nothing but great things about the 1301 - especially with the gen 2 upgrades. Between these 3 factors (price being the other - as much as I love the m4, is it literally twice the shotgun the 1301 is?), I’m leaning towards the 1301...
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 7:37:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I only want the benelli over the Beretta due to prior issue nostalgia.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I went 1301.  Absolutely a marvel of a shotgun. Light, fast, ergonomic, reliable. Just perfect.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate to say it but I prefer my 1301 with magpul stock (the factory stock Suuuucks) over my benelli… that kinda hurt to type, I really do still love my benelli.

Other than the safety being in front of the trigger, the 1301 is just a more comfortable, softer shooting gun that gives up nothing on reliability.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I played with a lot of shotguns when looking for a 3 gun shotgun. Narrowed it down to the 1301, M2 and whatever Remington had out..versamax maybe. I went with the 1301 comp because it was lighter, swung faster for me and just felt better. So I say get the one that feels better to you.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#15]
If you've lusted after an M4, just get it.

I speak from experience, buy what you want the first time rather than trying to save a few bucks and regret it later.

Both shotguns are  phenomenonal.

Or, just buy both. That's my recommendation.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#16]
The M4 is the better gun, but at twice the price I sure hope so...  is it twice the gun, no.  But its better.  If its something you lusted for, go for the M4.  If you just need a gat, get the Beretta.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#17]
If suddenly tomorrow morning M4s cost the same as 1301 Tacticals would anyone still buy 1301s?  Maybe, but I bet they would take a hit.

Only reason to not get a Benelli M4 is you can't afford it.  Even if the 1301 T is just as good a shotgun (and I have no reason to believe it isn't) the M4 wins just on recognition and popularity.

It's like choosing two AKs:  One Russian, the other Bulgarian.  Either choice are good guns, but even if both had equally nice finishes the Russian is simply more desirable even if it costs more.  Some would say the price is a reflection of it being more desirable.

That said, if you can get both get both.   You only live once!
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The M4 is the better gun, but at twice the price I sure hope so...  is it twice the gun, no.  But its better.  If its something you lusted for, go for the M4.  If you just need a gat, get the Beretta.
View Quote
Have you handled and shot both, if so why do you think the M4 is better?  I have no dog in this fight as I own both a Beretta and Benelli semi-auto (A400 Xtreme and Super Vinci), just curious.  But almost everyone I've seen who has both has said the 1301 is the better shotgun.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Have you handled and shot both, if so why do you think the M4 is better?  I have no dog in this fight as I own both a Beretta and Benelli semi-auto (A400 Xtreme and Super Vinci), just curious.  But almost everyone I've seen who has both has said the 1301 is the better shotgun.
View Quote
The Benelli is indestructable, no less said than by the guy that owns Battlefield Vegas.  Plus Benellis have long had a reputation of running in adverse conditions via waterfowlers and military testing and use.  When it comes to semi auto shotguns, those are the difference makers.

Limited to iron sights, I could probably run my 11-87 police faster on a course since I am used to hunting many years with an 11-87 sporting gun, its very intuitive.  For the money, its a better shotgun than an M4 given you could buy almost three of them for the price of an M4.  But we are talking about the best here.  I am sure the Beretta is also a better value than the M4 too...

Worse thing about owning a Benelli M4, makes buying another tactical shotgun seem pointless.  You will flail about trying to come up with excuses to own another tactical shotgun, then one morning you will wake up with a hangover and realize you own a SPAS-12 and a LAW-12 since collecting obscure European tactical shotguns was the only excuse you could find...
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#22]
The m4 feels like a heavy fence post to me. I have a 1301 and love it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Worse thing about owning a Benelli M4, makes buying another tactical shotgun seem pointless.  You will flail about trying to come up with excuses to own another tactical shotgun, then one morning you will wake up with a hangover and realize you own a SPAS-12 and a LAW-12 since collecting obscure European tactical shotguns was the only excuse you could find...
View Quote
You just self diagnosed yourself with a case of BRD, Black Rifle  (or in your case Black Shotgun) Disease, there is no cure & you are doomed to a life of seeking out obscure military arms,
Enjoy It??

PS: Just my opinion
After A shooting session with both shotguns, the M4 feels like a boat anchor compared to the 1301, that extra 2LBS on the M4 really hurts handling.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The m4 feels like a heavy fence post to me. I have a 1301 and love it.
View Quote
Quoted:

You just self diagnosed yourself with a case of BRD, Black Rifle  (or in your case Black Shotgun) Disease, there is no cure & you are doomed to a life of seeking out obscure military arms,
Enjoy It??

PS: Just my opinion
After A shooting session with both shotguns, the M4 feels like a boat anchor compared to the 1301, that extra 2LBS on the M4 really hurts handling.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top