Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2020 6:36:10 PM EDT
Check em' before you buy em' fellas.

Purchased this gun on December 5th, and upon initial cleaning before my first range trip I discovered some bad machining marks inside the receiver.

Contacted Benelli via email on the 6th and had a return authorization and prepaid shipping label waiting for me on the 7th.

Shipped the gun out and it was received on the 9th. On Friday the 11th I receive notice that the gun had been repaired and was on its way back to me.

I received the returned gun today in the same condition it was sent, accompanied by a note stating "The cut lines in the receiver are normal for mass machined parts".

Considering I own two other M4's, as well as having now viewed several others failing to find these marks, I feel I can confidently state that it isn't normal.

Please note, these marks are deep enough to catch a fingernail, are uneven, and have no place on a new gun, much less one in this price range.

I have sent a follow up email to my initial service rep with the hopes that my complaint can be reviewed by someone higher up the chain, and included a quote  of their own advertised warranty as seen below,

10-year Limited Warranty: Your new Benelli firearm is warranted for 10 years from date of purchase against any defect in materials or workmanship in the metal parts of your product (“10-year Warranty”).

I certainly understand things happen, particularly with the rush to produce guns to match the current demand, but the unwillingness to stand behind them and honor your own warranty is inexcusable in my own humble opinion.

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree with you totally... I have two Benelli M4's and neither of them have any tooling marks like that... that is ridiculous for a shotgun at it's price point. Please let us know how this plays out further. I'll be very curious to see if the refuse you a second time especially since you have 2 others. I would send pics of them all side by side for comparison just to prove a point.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a Benelli super nova that was a turd from day one.
I sent it back three times before they replaced it.
Never again.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing new there, I bought an M4 15 years ago, in a tactical shotgun class in 2006 it puked a piston.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input folks.

I just wish the person or persons who inspected the gun would have asked themselves if they would be satisfied with that level of craftsmanship if the gun belonged to them.
I imagine they would have changed their tune.

I will definitely keep this post updated, however as it stands I wouldn't be shocked at all if I'm simply stuck with it.

I will admit to having a touch of OCD regarding my guns, however I see no way that this level of subpar work should be accepted.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#5]
UPDATE

Just got back from a frustrating trip at the range.

Turns out the front sight base is canted to the left and in order to sight it in the front sight has to be shifted all the way to the right and the rear sight has to be moved almost all the way left.

Called the company and they requested a photo, which I will also attach to this thread.

I also left a message for a Mr. Orr who is the Repair Manager in regards to the machine marks in the hopes that he will be a bit more understanding.

I am truly not upset because the gun is a lemon, I'm simply frustrated that Benelli has thus far refused to remedy the situation.

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I would like to join the M4 master race but I just cannot justify spending $1800 for a shotgun that I THEN have to spend another $600 for parts that aren’t in stock and then cobble them all together just to get an 8 round mag tube and proper LOP.

My Remington 11-87P runs great with Buckshot and I only have $350 into it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a Benelli super nova that was a turd from day one.
I sent it back three times before they replaced it.
Never again.
View Quote

Sorry you got a lemon, bro! My experience with the Supernova Tactical was excellent; super reliable and easier to take apart and clean than a Mossberg or Remington (and I'm a certified armorer on those platforms!). Through multiple shotgun training courses and range trips, I barely ever cleaned it. Alas, I sold it...but only because I was more knowledgeable in maintaining other platforms at the armorer level and parts and accessories were much cheaper and more prolific for Mossberg and Remington, so I switched to Mossberg.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#8]
This is sad to see this thread exist for a $1500-2000 shotgun...
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input fellas!

I did receive a call from the Repair Manager (Mr. Orr) and he said they are going to re-evaluate the machining marks when it's in for the front sight.

Seemed like a very nice gentleman but mentioned several times that the receivers are aluminum and will wear with use.

I definitely understand that since this isn't my only M4, however you could shoot this gun until the day you die and it wouldn't develop the machining marks that were present in a brand new $1800.00 gun.

I am hopeful that it returns from the factory this time repaired or replaced so I can enjoy it instead of regretting my decision to be a loyal Benelli customer.

I'll keep the thread updated as new information rolls in.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:13:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Certainly not ideal. If the marks do not affect function and are on the inside, then you may be SOL. While the rear sight is off center it is still zero’d. Here again you may be SOL.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 7:01:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Following, hope they make it right OP.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Certainly not ideal. If the marks do not affect function and are on the inside, then you may be SOL. While the rear sight is off center it is still zero’d. Here again you may be SOL.
View Quote

Thanks for the input!

Look closer at the photo and you see the front sight is slid as far right as it will go and the rear sight is well off center as you mentioned.
The gun is still not sighted in, I simply stopped wasting ammo when I saw that it was a futile effort.

While I feel you're likely right about the poor machining, it is rather sad considering the cost of the gun, the prestige of the name, and the warranty that they so proudly proclaim.

10-year Limited Warranty: Your new Benelli firearm is warranted for 10 years from date of purchase against any defect in materials or workmanship in the metal parts of your product (“10-year Warranty”).
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a m4. And a M2.  I’ll have to check them out
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, that's fucked. The rear sight also looks like shit finish wise in your first photo. Stuff slips through the cracks sometimes, it's just how it is, but IMO how they handled it on their flagship tactical shotgun is unacceptable. I'm not surprised though, my experience with their CS involving a Sako TRG was very bad for a clearly defective gun when the stock cracked with minimal use and they wanted to blame me.

I also have two M4's and they're both great. Nothing like that as far as finish, and I didn't have to touch the sights. They were centered out of the box and dead nuts zero at 50 yards and a few inches low at 100 yards with slugs.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 6:34:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I’ve owned 3 Benelli M4s one of which is a 14” I carry for work.

I hate seeing these issues and I hope they take care of you 100%

Will say after buying a Beretta 1301 I love it and for half the price Benelli should step their game up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the continued input fellas!

It arrived back at the factory today for the 2nd time, so hopefully I'll get some positive news in a few weeks.

I'll keep the thread updated as I find out what's going on.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been really wanting to get a benelli m4. Hopefully the issue is resolved!
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I think you got the gun that was built on a Friday before a long weekend.  I’m surprised such clear issues made it out the door on a Benelli M4.  One of those budget Chibesiun 870 cloves, sure, but not a gun costing almost 10X a cheap shotgun.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I hope they get it right for you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Per the photo:

Front sight Far Right

Rear Sight Far Left

What do you expect at distance?  Nothing will hit per that photo.

Center both sights at 7 yards (21 feet) and tell us how a slug hits.

There is nothing wrong with machining marks.  It's a normal part of the creation process that does not affect performance.

USER ERROR
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:52:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Per the photo:

Front sight Far Right

Rear Sight Far Left

There is nothing wrong with machining marks.  It's a normal part of the creation process that does not affect performance.

USER ERROR
View Quote

That’s how you adjust the sights to correct for a gun which shoots to the far RIGHT of the target, when the sights are centered. I can tell that the front sight base is canted to the left, just by looking at OP’s picture on my phone’s small screen. Compare the angle of the front sight base to the angle of the rear sight’s protector “wings”, you can see that they aren’t parallel.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:48:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That’s how you adjust the sights to correct for a gun which shoots to the far RIGHT of the target, when the sights are centered. I can tell that the front sight base is canted to the left, just by looking at OP’s picture on my phone’s small screen. Compare the angle of the front sight base to the angle of the rear sight’s protector “wings”, you can see that they aren’t parallel.
View Quote

I appreciate the time and input!

At 10 yards the slug was approximately 4-6 inches left with the sights centered.
What you see in the photo is the result of trying to sight it in at that close distance.

As far as machining marks, I would humbly disagree with you, however you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
I find it hard to believe you'd be ok with that if it were on the exterior of the gun, so why does it matter if it's on the inside since it wouldn't be acceptable on the outside?

I'd like to clarify, I have zero issue with honest wear. It's a sign of use and often has memories attached to every little scratch or ding.
The only memory associated with the machining marks are the regret I have for purchasing the gun.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:56:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you for your time and input as well!

I'm honestly a bit concerned Benelli is going to say it's fine since they likely don't care if all the windage is used on the front and rear provided the gun can be sighted in at very short distances.

The other M4 I have here will shoot 5 slugs touching at 50 yards with the front sight centered and the rear sight moved to the left a mere two clicks.

Perhaps 2020 just want the right time to buy with factories running full bore trying to keep up with demand.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Oof. M4 is my favorite gun because it's non-stop perfect over tens of thousands of rounds. None of these issues, though, and if the quality is slipping, these things are done for. Too many options out there for less $$ if Benelli loses the best of the best status.

I hope Benelli makes it right so I can keep recommending them despite the price.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Per the photo:

Front sight Far Right

Rear Sight Far Left

USER ERROR
View Quote

No......your info here is incorrect.
Front sight is clearly canted.
Those machine marks aren’t acceptable
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No......your info here is incorrect.
Front sight is clearly canted.
Those machine marks aren’t acceptable
View Quote

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

On a side note, I received an email from Benelli right before Christmas that stated the gun was being examined by a gunsmith and the estimated repair time is 45 days.

I could be wrong, but I think the email is more of a generic notice that the gun has been received and does not necessarily mean it has been examined in great detail.

I'll happily wait 45 days or longer if it means receiving a gun worthy of the cost and name, however I'm not particularly hopeful at this point.
I'm sure they'll fix the sight problem, but try to once again claim that the poor machining is acceptable.

I've decided if it comes back with the sights fixed but the receiver still showing those horrible machining marks then I'll sell it and move on having learned an expensive lesson.

Life is too short to have to settle instead of being happy with a purchase and there are manufacturers who will gladly stand behind their products.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Update,

I spoke with Mr. Orr and he informed me that he made the decision to replace the gun. I am relieved, thankful, and extremely excited to receive the new gun in a few days and plan a half day range trip, complete with cigar, once it gets here to celebrate.

As before, he was very friendly, understanding, and above all, patient while I thanked him continuously for standing by a loyal Benelli customer.

I would like to publicly thank Benelli, and especially Mr. Orr, for going above and beyond to make a customer happy.

WELL DONE AND GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Update,

I spoke with Mr. Orr and he informed me that he made the decision to replace the gun. I am relieved, thankful, and extremely excited to receive the new gun in a few days and plan a half day range trip, complete with cigar, once it gets here to celebrate.

As before, he was very friendly, understanding, and above all, patient while I thanked him continuously for standing by a loyal Benelli customer.

I would like to publicly thank Benelli, and especially Mr. Orr, for going above and beyond to make a customer happy.

WELL DONE AND GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
View Quote

Came to follow up from the 1301 thread in GD, that is great news! Hopefully the replacement is just as it should be, but it is good to hear that Benelli is making it right.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Got the replacement in today and it's a beauty.

Machining/fit and finish, are exactly what you expect from a prestigious brand like Benelli and I can't wait to hit the range to get it sighted in.

A HUGE thank you again to Benelli, Mr. Orr, and all you fine folks who took the time out of your day to read, respond, and follow this thread to its conclusion.

Now, if I can just find a collapsible stock I can finish up my 922R conversion and upset the folks on the skeet field by using it for our Wednesday night shoot
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Got the replacement in today and it's a beauty.

Machining/fit and finish, are exactly what you expect from a prestigious brand like Benelli and I can't wait to hit the range to get it sighted in.

A HUGE thank you again to Benelli, Mr. Orr, and all you fine folks who took the time out of your day to read, respond, and follow this thread to its conclusion.

Now, if I can just find a collapsible stock I can finish up my 922R conversion and upset the folks on the skeet field by using it for our Wednesday night shoot
View Quote

I've had a ton of fun over the years with my M4 on the Skeet and 5stand fields.  Opened a lot of eyes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey guys, update on M4 quality.

I just got a new 11707. I got my first 11707 11-13 years ago, cant even remember. It is an amazing tool. Flawless in every way. Threw a socomguy magtube on it (hes over at benelli forums) and its been my favorite long gun to shoot since.

Me and another fellow on the benelli forums both just got f**cking blue guns! And my rear sight is put on crooked. Its like the italians got drunk and mailed us these as a prank. I called the dealer who shipped to my ffl and he said same for the whole batch.

THERE IS AN EPIC QUALITY CONTROL ISSUE WITH BENELLI M4s NOW! ANYBODY WHO HAD CROOKED SIGHTS OR DISCOLORED PARTS OR WEAR IN THEIR RECIEVER NEEDS TO CONTACT BENELLI ASAP.

This is super F'd up for the Ducati of shotguns. If they cant even have the respect for us to send us the right color (who the F lets discolored guns leave the factory, what a slap in the face!) whos to say what else they F'd up. My dam sights are crooked are you kidding me! did they have 3rd graders make these things?!?!

Will post pics upon pickup. StrangerDanger is super cool but there are some pretentious cun*y D bags over at the benelli forums. Dont go there for help. Be careful buying online EVEN FROM DEALERS, nobody is checking guns before shipping, my dealer said, we cant send em back, theyre sold before we intake/receive them.

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hey guys, update on M4 quality.

I just got a new 11707. I got my first 11707 11-13 years ago, cant even remember. It is an amazing tool. Flawless in every way. Threw a socomguy magtube on it (hes over at benelli forums) and its been my favorite long gun to shoot since.

Me and another fellow on the benelli forums both just got f**cking blue guns! And my rear sight is put on crooked. Its like the italians got drunk and mailed us these as a prank. I called the dealer who shipped to my ffl and he said same for the whole batch.

THERE IS AN EPIC QUALITY CONTROL ISSUE WITH BENELLI M4s NOW! ANYBODY WHO HAD CROOKED SIGHTS OR DISCOLORED PARTS OR WEAR IN THEIR RECIEVER NEEDS TO CONTACT BENELLI ASAP.

This is super F'd up for the Ducati of shotguns. If they cant even have the respect for us to send us the right color (who the F lets discolored guns leave the factory, what a slap in the face!) whos to say what else they F'd up. My dam sights are crooked are you kidding me! did they have 3rd graders make these things?!?!

Will post pics upon pickup. StrangerDanger is super cool but there are some pretentious cun*y D bags over at the benelli forums. Dont go there for help. Be careful buying online EVEN FROM DEALERS, nobody is checking guns before shipping, my dealer said, we cant send em back, theyre sold before we intake/receive them.

View Quote

That sucks. I had a Benelli M4 several years ago. It was flawless and well worth the money, but these problems that people are having are unacceptable for firearm costing that much.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Should have bought a turkish clone!
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#35]
aasg, that panzer one is def on my buy list, thanks thebert, the tesla driving soy latte dickheads that are on the benelli forums basically just told me to go F myself haha. That forum was cool ten years ago, feels like an overpriced cigar bar now with a bunch of dudes who think strippers are really into them.

i would love to know if anybody had a name and a number for an actual human to contact though, anybody whose sent stuff back to benelli...
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I just picked up an M4 on an impulse buy. Always wanted one, never even held one before now. I noticed my receiver has a blue tint to it, didn't think much of it really. What do y'all think?

Sights look aligned, but I guess I won't really know until I take it to the range. I don't see any machine marks when I open the bolt. I'll have to take it apart tonight to check further.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just picked up an M4 on an impulse buy. Always wanted one, never even held one before now. I noticed my receiver has a blue tint to it, didn't think much of it really. What do y'all think?

Sights look aligned, but I guess I won't really know until I take it to the range. I don't see any machine marks when I open the bolt. I'll have to take it apart tonight to check further.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/308934/A0593622-5E65-4DE3-B383-879BC182E902_jpe-1832638.JPG
View Quote

I bought another one 2 weeks ago, the sights look fine and there isn't any machining marks internally.

It does have that blueish tint to the reciever. I had a KAC rifle that had the same blue tint years ago, maybe the anodizing tanks were getting low on black dye.

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:10:42 AM EDT
[#38]
If its just the color any everything else looks fine you're probably alright. The sights being off is the biggest concern but all of the above issues packaged together = pretty sketch in terms of their qc checks. Keep us updated on functionality. I'm also bummed about the switch from metal trigger guards to plastic. I guess that just happened a couple years ago. I haven't heard of any fractures its just another factor though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#39]
The anodize coloring varies on the issue M1014s I've seen. It can be black, bluish, or purplish. I wouldn't be concerned about that so much as machine marks or improperly installed sights
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't mind the blue tint at all. I tore it apart this morning and I don't see any machine marks and the sights look straight.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
aasg, that panzer one is def on my buy list, thanks thebert, the tesla driving soy latte dickheads that are on the benelli forums basically just told me to go F myself haha. That forum was cool ten years ago, feels like an overpriced cigar bar now with a bunch of dudes who think strippers are really into them.

i would love to know if anybody had a name and a number for an actual human to contact though, anybody whose sent stuff back to benelli...
View Quote

Hey! I have a Tesla, but I don’t drink soy or lattes!
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#42]
haha whazup SD, i said you were cool earlier. i got you homie. OG POSSE all day, it those new d bags. they have "new retro" ray bans haha.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:54:24 AM EDT
[#43]
I feel ya!
If you could send me info on your rear sight, I’d like to see what’s up with it and how you confirmed it’s the rear and not the front sight. I’ve never seen one with a messed up rear, but I have seen them with a crooked front sight where the rear had to be adjusted over to compensate.

If you ever try to take apart a fixed stock’s sling mount, you’ll cuss those Italians up one side and the other!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top