Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2021 5:57:32 AM EDT
Has anyone ever removed one before successfully without damage to the tube/finish/firearm. ? I want to put a GG&G follower in. The shotgun is well used but in excellent condition and I want to keep it that way. What's the proper technique for removing the magazine tube?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the procedure similar to the M4?
Benelli M4 high vision green follower

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:55:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't it be easier to the remove the tube cap and retaining ring then pull the spring and follower then to remove the whole tube?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:51:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wouldn't it be easier to the remove the tube cap and retaining ring then pull the spring and follower then to remove the whole tube?
View Quote

Quoted:

This. The m3 has an open end tube, that's how they put mag extensions on.
View Quote

If there is a way to remove the tube cap I don't know how. It is a very early H&K marked if that helps any. I don't have the manual in front of me but IIRC the cap removal was a revision on models made after mine.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:58:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the procedure similar to the M4?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DpH208W1Vw
View Quote

Not for my model it is different. The cap is solid, not split if it were I would already have swapped out the factory follower. That's a hack way to remove that cap, should be done with a pair of snap ring pliers. LOL.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If there is a way to remove the tube cap I don't know how. It is a very early H&K marked if that helps any. I don't have the manual in front of me but IIRC the cap removal was a revision on models made after mine.
View Quote

Can you post some close up pics of the end of the tube?
You might also want to call Benelli. They were very helpful to me when I wanted to know more about the shotgun I received as a xmas present. IF you call, make sure you have the s/n or shotgun in front of you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You might also want to call Benelli. They were very helpful to me when I wanted to know more about the shotgun I received as a xmas present. IF you call, make sure you have the s/n or shotgun in front of you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will post some pictures soon. I have already spoken with Benelli. According to the person who I spoke with they do not have records going back that far. I found that hard to believe, but they said for the early H&K imported Benellis that is the case. I asked about how to remove the tube and the person was not willing or able to give advice.

The tube has to come off. I have spoken with a colleague and they had a gunsmith perform the procedure many years ago. I inquired  with him if he know how and he does not know. I'd bet it will involve getting some hear into the tube to release whatever thread locker was used. I'll get some pics posted latter.

ETA: Pic added.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I will post some pictures soon. I have already spoken with Benelli. According to the person who I spoke with they do not have records going back that far. I found that hard to believe, but they said for the early H&K imported Benellis that is the case. I asked about how to remove the tube and the person was not willing or able to give advice.

The tube has to come off. I have spoken with a colleague and they had a gunsmith perform the procedure many years ago. I inquired  with him if he know how and he does not know. I'd bet it will involve getting some hear into the tube to release whatever thread locker was used. I'll get some pics posted latter.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/403845/Benelli_M3_Magazine_Tube_Close_Up-1849743.jpg
View Quote

That is an interesting end cap. I have no idea ho you would go about removing it.

I find it interesting that yours is an early HK import. I know this sounds odd but, call HK and ask them. I know of a FFL that a while ago had a dozen M1S90's on order directly from HK that were HK imports. He was waiting for HK to finish refurbishing them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Doesn't the M3 basically just have a tube extension? The one's I've seen look like you could just take the barrel clamp off and unscrew from the main tube. I would need more pictures to be more help though.

There's got to be a way to get the follower out.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an M2, not an M3. Here is how I removed the magazine tube. I stuck it in a barrel vise and cranked it down so it wouldn't slip, but not so tight it wouldn't crush it. I then used a heat gun for a few minutes until I could move the receiver with a rubber padded C clamp. Eventually it broke lose with a little heat.  Hopefully you don't habe to do something like that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#12]
A heat gun and strap wrench.  Its what I did on my HK import m3 years ago.  Heat it up a bit, try to turn it, it shouldn't take a bunch of force, if it does apply more heat, and keep repeating until its comes off.  I had a hell of a time cleaning all the thread locking compound out of it before re assembly.

I wish I hadn't sold that to a buddy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:54:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That is an interesting end cap. I have no idea ho you would go about removing it.

I find it interesting that yours is an early HK import. I know this sounds odd but, call HK and ask them. I know of a FFL that a while ago had a dozen M1S90's on order directly from HK that were HK imports. He was waiting for HK to finish refurbishing them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/403845/Benelli_M3_Magazine_Tube_Close_Up-1849743.jpg

You don't, the magazine tube must be threaded from the receiver. I read an article that state there were 189 units of my model that came into the states configured this way.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:56:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP lets see the rest of the mag tube. Especially where the mag tube goes under the forearm. What I'm seeing here looks to be a factory mag tube extension. I'm betting yours has a knurled knob just ahead of the handguard. Remove the barrel clamp first. Then pad the jaws of some channel locks or vise grips with a good piece of leather And it should come off.

BTW: How many malfunctions has the factory follower caused?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-qjR-UA22s
View Quote

I'll get a better picture uploaded here tonight or tomorrow. Zero issues with the follower, but I customize everything because I like to and America fuck yeah!
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is the schematic. As you can see the factory magazine tube is threaded into the receiver.

ETA: I think it is going to be a heat gun and slowly heat until whatever thread lock they used lets go. I am going to want to remove the forend slide support (part # 59 below) as it is plastic and I'd bet it could melt. Any idea what type of thread lock Benelli uses?

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It is pretty much like changing an M4 mag tube out then. I'd say a good basic heat gun will do what you need here. They should use a lower temp threadlocker in anticipation of having to service the mag tube spring. Put the receiver in a padded vise and heat where the tube screws in until you can spin it out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is the schematic. As you can see the factory magazine tube is threaded into the receiver.

ETA: I think it is going to be a heat gun and slowly heat until whatever thread lock they used lets go. I am going to want to remove the forend slide support (part # 59 below) as it is plastic and I'd bet it could melt. Any idea what type of thread lock Benelli uses?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/403845/Benelli_M3_Super_90_M_and_P_schem-1851764.jpg

It is pretty much like changing an M4 mag tube out then. I'd say a good basic heat gun will do what you need here. They should use a lower temp threadlocker in anticipation of having to service the mag tube spring. Put the receiver in a padded vise and heat where the tube screws in until you can spin it out.

This. I'll swap out the spring since I'm in there, has been loaded for years on end. I'll also use a low strength thread lock, no need for high strength there. Just got to make sue there is no plastic around that area before heating it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top