Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2017 10:45:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ptaylor]
I love my salvo. But lets be honest on a normal length barrel. Even an 18 incher its just to big and heavy.

It's taken some time but I think I finally have something I can work with.

Anxious to try it out with the 10" barrel. I'll be shooting skeet this sunday and dove in september.

I'll report back on how it does.

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#1]
That barrel looks kinda familiar
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GunCat:
View Quote
I bet. Thank you for the excellent work turned out just as I hoped.

Put 75 rounds though it today. Worked great. Those long shots are little tougher now but its a great trade off for the length.

I might go to full choke and see if it helps those longer shots.

Link Posted: 7/4/2018 4:45:55 AM EDT
[#3]
That's a sweet looking shotgun... I'm still lugging around my heavy M4 with salvo... been debating if I should SBS it but didn't want to sink anymore money into it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ptaylor:
Put 75 rounds though it today. Worked great. Those long shots are little tougher now but its a great trade off for the length.
View Quote
Was any work done to the recoil mechanism? What types of loads did you try out?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RipGear:

Was any work done to the recoil mechanism? What types of loads did you try out?
View Quote
It’s well worn. I’ve had this M2 since they first came out. I’ve shot from low brass Walmart ammo to 3” turkey loads. No issues whatsoever. Interia system has been rock solid.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, thats awesome. I am curious to hear some hunting reports.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Trunkmonkey4:
Yeah, thats awesome. I am curious to hear some hunting reports.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Who did the barrel work for you and did you run into any issues with barrel thickness where you threaded for the choke?  Did you stick with a Benelli Crio choke, or thread for something else?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 10:45:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ptaylor] [#9]
Originally Posted By areeves08:
Who did the barrel work for you and did you run into any issues with barrel thickness where you threaded for the choke?  Did you stick with a Benelli Crio choke, or thread for something else?
View Quote
Just call "Rose Action Sports" they are the go to guys for shotgun work.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:33:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GunCat:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#11]
@ptaylor

I see that it’s been a over a year since you’ve had this setup. I was thinking about getting either a m4 or m2 sbs for fun with trap, skeet, and sportys. (Mostly skeet) is it reasonable spread? I want it to be somewhat practical to use. Not just shoot stuff at 10ft.

So basically, would you buy again knowing what you know now? Are your scores drastically lower when using it?

Anyone else, please chime in
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:33:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ptaylor] [#12]
Originally Posted By Wi_Yeti:
@ptaylor

I see that it’s been a over a year since you’ve had this setup. I was thinking about getting either a m4 or m2 sbs for fun with trap, skeet, and sportys. (Mostly skeet) is it reasonable spread? I want it to be somewhat practical to use. Not just shoot stuff at 10ft.

So basically, would you buy again knowing what you know now? Are your scores drastically lower when using it?

View Quote
I had to go this short due to barrel thickness. I wanted 12-14" barrel with a 10" or 8" salvo. But ended up with 10" barrel and 12" salvo.

Works just fine. You will need to practice to get used to the slower shot speed and club like barrel. I've shot many a dove and skeet with it no problems.

I never shoot at a registered skeet or trap range. I have a private range with a MEC weeble/wobble thrower. When shooting with friends there is no difference in hit percentage, once you get used to the short barrel.

I've fallen in love with my shorty browning A5. With a full choke I can tell no difference from a long 26" barrel except for the weight. As it sits now, has a 12".
[/url]" />
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#13]
So you cut the factory barrel down to 10"?  What choke adapter did you thread it for?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#14]
@ptaylor

View Quote
I am looking for the same thing.  Primarily for squirrels.  I plan on hunting with a buddy.  One with suppressed .22, one with a suppressed shotgun.  Shotgun just has to kill a gray at about 40 yards.  I have not seen anyone do a patterning demo with the salvo out of any gun.  I would like to have either a M1 or M2 benelli converted.

Any thoughts?  Anyone.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 4:38:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wi_Yeti] [#15]
Originally Posted By xciapup:
I am looking for the same thing.  Primarily for squirrels.  I plan on hunting with a buddy.  One with suppressed .22, one with a suppressed shotgun.  Shotgun just has to kill a gray at about 40 yards.  I have not seen anyone do a patterning demo with the salvo out of any gun.  I would like to have either a M1 or M2 benelli converted.

Any thoughts?  Anyone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@ptaylor

Any thoughts?  Anyone.
I won't be up north till Christmas week to shoot but I can pattern it from a few Benellis. What size shot you want me to test?

I remember reading a thread long ago that someone did testing but you'll have to dig through the archives to find it. Might of been in the suppressor fourm.

@xciapup

ETA: looks like I'm going up this weekend
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I won't be up north till Christmas week to shoot but I can pattern it from a few Benellis. What size shot you want me to test?

I remember reading a thread long ago that someone did testing but you'll have to dig through the archives to find it. Might of been in the suppressor fourm.

@xciapup

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@ptaylor

Any thoughts?  Anyone.

@xciapup

I think 5 might be best.  6 is a little light for an old fox at distance but 4 is a little much for a gray.  For this purpose, probably anything you have from 4 to 8 would tell us something.  I just don't want to drop a grand on a salvo if they blow up my patterns to the extent that they don't work on a 8 inch target at 40 yards.

Thanks for your offer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Following! I have the same project concerns and goals. I want to know if adding the salvo “extends” the barrel length or just adds weight and suppression.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:45:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ptaylor] [#18]
The biggest problem I found with my setup is the velocity you loose.

I always up size my shot size now. So when dove hunting, normally I shoot 7.5 shot, I now shoot 6's.

I run the full choke exclusively. I still don't think its tight enough.

I've shot a bunch of dove with mine. I just can't make those 40 yard shots like I did with a 20" barrel.

Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Awesome. Why 10” though?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By FrankWorth:
Awesome. Why 10” though?
View Quote
Barrel wall thickness. Any longer and it would have been to thin to run the salvo chokes.

I would have preferred 14".
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Interesting. I’m told the Remington tac 14 walls are thick enough for salvo chokes. I think I’ll go this route.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 2:26:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: metroplex] [#22]

Any thoughts?  Anyone.
View Quote

So in my quest to find this answer, I found someone else mentioning in an online review that SiCo's chokes are 1 step more open than what's labeled. In this review, the tester actually patterns at 35 yd and found the same. His IC was more like CYL, and the Salvo 6" reduced the pellets by 10%, and the Salvo 8" reduced it by another 10%.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/silencer-review-silencerco-salvo/

From a 2016 AR15.com thread, someone took the time to measure the ID of SiCo's Crio Plus chokes (which is 100% important to me since I have  Benelli m2)
MOD: 0.709"
IM: 0.704"
F: 0.700"
The Improved Cylinder adapter is unobtanium, and it looks like SiCo has discontinued the Modified adapters.

UPDATE 3 JAN 2023:
Got a suggestion from GunCat to check with a vendor and was able to order/receive the Improved Cylinder Echo adapter for Crio Plus. I bought the other chokes from SiCo directly. Here are my actual measurements for the SiCo Crio Plus Echo Chokes (this would fit Benelli M2 among others that use Crio Plus). I used a Mitutoyo Telescoping Gage set and Mitutoyo calibrated caliper to check and double-check, as I have done for my original/OEM Benelli chokes, Brileys, and Carlsons' Extended chokes:

IC: 0.713"
IM: 0.698"
F: 0.687"

These are all within 0.002"-0.004" of the original Benelli chokes that came with my M2, and they are actually within 0.002" of my Carlson's chokes with the exception of the Full. Carlson's Full is looser than Benelli/SiCo's Full.

The SiCo Echo Chokes appear to be well made, just like the Carlson's. Seems to be of 17-4 stainless but with a matte black finish. The locking ring can be locked against a C-Clip on the choke itself in case you wanted to fire unsuppressed. The locking ring has its own set of threads to do this, so when it is time to run it with the Salvo, simply loosen the lock ring and tighten it against the Salvo breech plate which mates on a tapered seal.

I checked the length, outer diameter/entry inner diameter, and choke diameters and they are all a match with the Carlson's that has worked great with my M2. I have not used these chokes yet, but on paper and in theory, everything seems to be a match with what I have used in the past and there shouldn't be any reason for a change in patterning/spread when unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 1:03:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I just picked up my Salvo the other day and stuck it on my old M1 tactical. It’s stupid fun, but I’m thinking it would be better on a SBS.

For those of you that have cut one down to run a Salvo on, would you cut down your M1/M2, or should I just make one of my old 500’s into the SBS?

My M1’s barrel is the stock 19.5, and I also have an old 19” barrel for a 500 that was just cut off when I got it. I’m wondering if it would be worth it to send that barrel in to get threaded for a choke. Then I could try the different guns before deciding which one to make the SBS.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I have only shot my Salvo in the 6" config to get a feel for it. My M2 Field is 21" and with the 6" Salvo it was hefty. I don't have anyone else to throw clays, so I launch my clay with a hand launcher, then quickly shoulder the M2 and fire. I felt it gives me a challenge. After like 50 clays I was used to the weight of the Salvo and when I removed it, the M2 swung too fast for my liking.

The 6" suppression was only slightly more than unsuppressed. My next range session will be with the 8" config. I plan to incrementally step it up as needed to get the most balance for sound reduction and weight.

Surprisingly there was less wad residue in my choke and barrel when I used the suppressor. With just my Carlson's 17-4 SS choke, there'd be wad residue all over the inside. The Salvo baffles OTOH were a PITA to scrub clean.

BTW

Boretech Shotgun Blend works as advertised. It cleaned my Carlson's choke in less than a minute versus trying CLP, Brake Cleaner, Clenzoil, Boretech C4, Boretech Eliminator, scrubbing with a metal brush, etc...
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Went shooting clays with the 21" M2 and Salvo 12 in the 8 inch config (aka Salvo K). It definitely cuts the recoil and noise down quite a bit. A friend was with me whom never fired a shotgun before let alone a 12 gauge, so I had her try and hit clays with the 8" Salvo 12. She didn't complain about any recoil or noise, but she did say it felt way heavy. I could see her struggling a bit with the weight of it. Even I had some trouble with my normal fast reload procedure, so I had to change it up for the extra weight.

I removed the suppressor to let her try it again, and after 3 shells she said the recoil was too much but it was lighter. I could observe the muzzle report was a much louder POP versus something like a phonebook slapping a table.

I would try the 10" and 12" but the weight of the 8" seems to be a hassle and I don't really want the extra weight of anything longer.

Has anyone come to this conclusion, or conversely felt there was substantial gains to using 10" or 12" for sound/recoil reduction?
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#26]
In my search to figure out an easier way to clean the Salvo 12, I found on obscure forum discussing plastic wad residue cleaning. Someone mentioned the type of plastic is easier to clean with mineral spirits and WD40 versus the traditional solvents/cleaners like acetone, brake cleaner, etc...

Sure enough, I went and sprayed a baffle with WD40 and was able to rub a significant amount of the wad residue off with a paper towel. The stubborn spots are at the 17-4 SS rod fixtures for the first 3 blast baffles and surfaces. The further downstream baffles are easier to wipe off. Using a hard scraper wrapped with a paper towel helps to push it off.

I wondered about heating the baffles with a heatgun, but opted not to in case there was lead residue in the gunk as well.

Bottom line is that WD40 actually works really really well at cleaning the Salvo 12 baffles. I am going to try it on my choke and bore in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top