Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2021 4:46:34 AM EDT
The more I read about this knife, the more brilliant it seems.

> Don't have to put down the knife when engaging in grappling

> Don't have to put it down to transition to a sidearm or long gun

> Thin profile and thin sheath make it easy to conceal in a pocket or in molle loops

Is there anything else I should know about this knife, good or bad, before I drop $155 on it with a trainer?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#1]
The company owners are liberal donating, gun chopping commie fucks. Kershaw gets my business mostly.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#2]
They are on the ar15.com shit list for anti-gun behavior... I have a few from before and thought we’ll of them.   Not throwing them away...
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Bought mine before they went full 'tard.
No complaints with the knife itself, it stays on my molle belt.

There are several similar offerings from other brands, but will likely be Asian manufacture.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Was this just the owners going full tard with their own money and on their own time? Or were they doing it with company funds and with the company name?

"I, Joe Shmoe, donate X money to leftwing morons" is different to me than "We, Benchmade, donate X money to leftwing morons and stand with Y leftwing cause".

I'm more concerned about the knife itself more than whether the company owners have donates to Dems.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Spartan Blades makes the original. Benchmade copied it or bought the license for it IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was this just the owners going full tard with their own money and on their own time? Or were they doing it with company funds and with the company name?

"I, Joe Shmoe, donate X money to leftwing morons" is different to me than "We, Benchmade, donate X money to leftwing morons and stand with Y leftwing cause".

I'm more concerned about the knife itself more than whether the company owners have donates to Dems.
View Quote

Benchmade chopped up a bunch of seized guns for the cops on company equipment and bragged about on social media.
Fallout was swift and terrible.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Screw Benchmade!
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Fuck bench made. Sold all mine and won’t buy another

Check out skallywag tactical for a similar set up from a less shitty company
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Benchmade chopped up a bunch of seized guns for the cops on company equipment and bragged about on social media.
Fallout was swift and terrible.
View Quote
This is correct.

However, IIRC, unlike several other companies that've pissed off gun owners, Benchmade actually apologized and changed their company policy to never help LEOs destroy seized guns again.  They ran afoul, and they owned up to it.

Benchmade makes quality production knives.  I'd rather buy a knife made by them than a knife made in China.  There are also plenty of other good US knife makers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:28:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know this isn’t GD, and not trying to be a dick. BM is in my home state. We have been swirling the toilet for 30 years now and almost flushed. Spend your money how you wish but the apology was BS and wasn’t an apology at all. They used company backing for political bullshit with Democrats and the cops, then proudly posted about the latter. Then to top it off, I can tell you that outside sales had zero regrets about any of it, not only got overly defensive to back up the BS, but actually defended the position to vendors in a aggressive but verbal posture.

Fuck BM and I hope they suffer from a BK while going out of business so Kershaw can hire the decent workers from there.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is correct.

However, IIRC, unlike several other companies that've pissed off gun owners, Benchmade actually apologized and changed their company policy to never help LEOs destroy seized guns again.  They ran afoul, and they owned up to it.

Benchmade makes quality production knives.  I'd rather buy a knife made by them than a knife made in China.  There are also plenty of other good US knife makers.
View Quote

Did you read the same "apology" as the rest of us?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Spartan Blades makes the original. Benchmade copied it or bought the license for it IIRC.
View Quote

Get the Spartan.....

https://spartanbladesusa.com/shop-all/cqb-tool/
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is correct.

"We apologize for the confusion and concern that this post created. These were firearms that the Oregon City Police Department had to destroy in alignment with their policies. Oregon City Police requested the use of specialty equipment within the Benchmade facility to follow these requirements, and as a supporting partner of our local police force, we obliged the request.

Benchmade is a proud and unwavering supporter of both law enforcement and Second Amendment rights. These are commitments that we do not take lightly and will continue to support well into the future."

After the blowback they decided not to allow anyone to use their equipment to destroy firearms in the future.  That decision seems out of place with a company whose labeled anti-gun.  They've been proponents of knife rights for years.

I just don't see the justification for the level of hate.  

I do think their knives are a little overpriced in general.  There are many other US companies making excellent knives stateside.  To each his own.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Documentation of said follow-up?

What you pasted is in no way an apology.
It's a "yeah we did it, we realize some people didn't like it, but were gonna keep doing things"

Everything I've seen since has been tongue-in-cheek.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#15]
The Spartan blades version is what you seek.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#16]
In other words, it is a fine knife. Apologize on behalf of America for the above Douche Baggery.

I find the proportions do not work for me however. The pinkie ring indexing just doesn’t work compared to the intended grip. My guess they are patterned for an XL-XXL glove sized hand. My hand size isn’t.

So far, I do like the sheath design.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Documentation of said follow-up?

What you pasted is in no way an apology.
It's a "yeah we did it, we realize some people didn't like it, but were gonna keep doing things"

Everything I've seen since has been tongue-in-cheek.
View Quote

Interview from Recoil

I don't mean to speak for Benchmade or defend their honor.  I'm not that invested in them or their products.  

The outrage over a PD using their equipment to cut firearms seems like overkill.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Interview from Recoil

I don't mean to speak for Benchmade or defend their honor.  I'm not that invested in them or their products.  

The outrage over a PD using their equipment to cut firearms seems like overkill.
View Quote

It seems like the background behind why those guns were confiscated would be a big variable in how Benchmade should be judged for helping dispose of them.

If they were confiscated from non-violent gun owners due to red flag laws or refusal to comply with unconstitutional registries, then that's obviously unacceptable and their non-apology is insufficient. But that's a bit different from guns confiscated from Joe crack dealer after he assaults his girlfriend and threatens to kill her if she breaks up with him.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It seems like the background behind why those guns were confiscated would be a big variable in how Benchmade should be judged for helping dispose of them.

If they were confiscated from non-violent gun owners due to red flag laws or refusal to comply with unconstitutional registries, then that's obviously unacceptable and their non-apology is insufficient. But that's a bit different from guns confiscated from Joe crack dealer after he assaults his girlfriend and threatens to kill her if she breaks up with him.
View Quote

Why is it different?
If they aren't evidence in active cases, and they aren't physically unsafe or mutilated, then sell/auction them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Fuck Bitchmade
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interview from Recoil

I agree with this. ^^^^^^

But, I don't know the details so I can't say.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Why is it different?
If they aren't evidence in active cases, and they aren't physically unsafe or mutilated, then sell/auction them.
View Quote

Because police departments don't decide all of the policies that they have to abide by, and because organizing an auction probably takes more time and effort than just trashing them?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interview from Recoil

I didn't do an exhaustive search but here is a statement I found.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe we can get this thread back onto the topic of the knife itself.

Thoughts, input, and experience with the SOCP?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I went with the single edge for more utility.
There's not much else to it, it's a shiv with a ring on the end and a sheath that fits in a molle loop.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Excellent defensive dagger and that's all it's good for - if you know that getting into one, you'll likely find it to be very good for that narrow and express task.

Easy to draw, can be carried if you wanted to, run through molle, etc. One can work to their pistol without having to drop the knife, which imo is its ideal use (getting out of a clench/grapple and creating some space to de-escalate or if need be, employ more substantial force). Mine rides behind the chest rig on my carrier. I don't edc it but you could if you wanted to - just know that it looks and, well, is very...murdery. Your call as to whether that's good, uncouth, or indifferent for edc purposes.

I'll leave the politics out of it as I think we've passed the point of productive conversation on that matter. My 2c.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:17:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm planning on purchasing a SOCP soon, although the Spartan Blade looks interesting. I too carry a BM everyday.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't know if Greg Thompson was the designer or creator, but he did develop the Combative Program that incorporates this idea.  It's not necessarily new, but Spartan Blades did the first design I know of:

The CQB Tool or "transition tool" is used to compliment this program by providing a slim easily stowed knife with rapid acquisition for, "get the heck off me", grappling situations encountered in a CQB fight. The ring and slim profile design allows for the operator to quickly pull and utilize the dagger; breaking an attackers grasp and allowing the soldier to transition back to his primary weapon system without re-sheathing until safe to do so."
View Quote

I have the Benchmade SOCP knife (got it before the stupid shit happened).  If I was getting one today, I would get the Spartan Blades version; however, the BM sheath design is top notch.  I carry mine on my plate carrier:

While not quite as slim, there are other ring-handled versions that can be employed in the same manner:

A slightly different design, I used the Colonel (punch knife pictured above) in the same manner.  I kept the SOCP on my carrier and the Colonel on my battle belt:

The more I trained using these types of blades the more I like them.  They're fast to index, transition naturally to the standard combatives style, allow you to immediately employ to create space and you don't have to drop it when transitioning to carbine or handgun so it's still at hand.  It's a sound concept.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't know if Greg Thompson was the designer or creator, but he did develop the Combative Program that incorporates this idea.  It's not necessarily new, but Spartan Blades did the first design I know of:

I have the Benchmade SOCP knife (got it before the stupid shit happened).  If I was getting one today, I would get the Spartan Blades version; however, the BM sheath design is top notch.  I carry mine on my plate carrier:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/EDC/.highres/20181119_124332_zpsfdpd4caj.jpg

While not quite as slim, there are other ring-handled versions that can be employed in the same manner:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/EDC/.highres/Ring%20Knives_zpsajajwqdf.jpg

A slightly different design, I used the Colonel (punch knife pictured above) in the same manner.  I kept the SOCP on my carrier and the Colonel on my battle belt:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/EDC/.highres/20180406_062025%202_zps86bxudlw.jpg

The more I trained using these types of blades the more I like them.  They're fast to index, transition naturally to the standard combatives style, allow you to immediately employ to create space and you don't have to drop it when transitioning to carbine or handgun so it's still at hand.  It's a sound concept.

ROCK6
View Quote

Have you found the SOCP to be reasonably sharp enough? I've read some reviews that they come somewhat dull when new from the factory.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Have you found the SOCP to be reasonably sharp enough? I've read some reviews that they come somewhat dull when new from the factory.
View Quote

It's not really "sharp".  It has a very narrow profile, but the edges aren't what I would consider "sharp".  I did strop mine into a better edge, but the purpose is really just to stab.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I looked at the SOCP, but ended up getting a Skallywag Tactical aluminum dagger.  They also have one made with D2 steel.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#35]
It’s extremely pokey, which is what it’s intended to be. In a pinch you could do some minor cutting, but I carry a knife for cutting tasks.
My BM SOCP dagger rode high on my concealable vest for a while to provide access to a pokey thing while keeping my hands up to protect my head/neck. Now it resides on my plate carrier at about 2 o’clock where it’s easily accessible and out of the way all at once.
As long as you understand it’s a pokey thing, not a slicey thing, you’ll be pleased with it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In other words, it is a fine knife. Apologize on behalf of America for the above Douche Baggery.

I find the proportions do not work for me however. The pinkie ring indexing just doesn't work compared to the intended grip. My guess they are patterned for an XL-XXL glove sized hand. My hand size isn't.

View Quote
That's funny, I was going to say that they made it for women and boys, it's too thin for me to feel comfortable with stabbing if necessary. I got one of the Shivworks push knives and it's better, but could use a bit bigger grip.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's funny, I was going to say that they made it for women and boys, it's too thin for me to feel comfortable with stabbing if necessary. I got one of the Shivworks push knives and it's better, but could use a bit bigger grip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find the proportions do not work for me however. The pinkie ring indexing just doesn't work compared to the intended grip. My guess they are patterned for an XL-XXL glove sized hand. My hand size isn't.

Shivworks? I don’t doubt that is a better solution for most situations. That is sign you are smarter than this guy.

After I posted the above, I played with SOCP again. It is just is never comfortable for me and it is really skinny. Very minimalist.
However I grip it, it seems ill proportioned - sometimes too short, sometimes too long. In retrospect, the Boker GTFO or the Shivworks might have been a better choice for me.

That said, the SOCP is a fine blade shape for the plate carrier mission. Able to poke, but seems good for the slash. Mine needed sharpened.

The sheath is pretty useful. To me, the sheath is way more impressive than the knife design. It is the shiznit on MOLLE and still useable AIWB behind the belt.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:28:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought one when they first came out. I like to try stuff like this and see how I like it.  Benchmade’s version of this must be a collaboration or licensed. It has the name Greg Thompson very prominently written on it.  To tell you the truth, one of the main reasons I bought this one is because it’s made from 440C stainless steel. Yeah, I’m old school.  440C was considered great stainless steel in the days before CPM S30V came out.

Anyway, I do like it. The sheath is nice. There are several ways to wear it discreetly like on you belt, IWB, tucked inside the breast plate area of vest. The blade is a dagger. Came freakin’ sharp. And it fits my hand like a glove.  I forget what I paid. $100?  It’s good quality.  

Some of my favorite knives have been Benchmades.  Remember AFCK 806, the Ares 730 versions?  The now discontinued 710?  I loved em.  But I admit, I’m more likely to buy Spyderco or even Cold Steel knives like the S35V version of the SR1 folder.

But I would recommend the SOCP if that’s the kind of knife/system you’re looking at trying out for your purposes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Have the Spartan version if the SOCP...top notch. Interesting new stabby blade from Jason Knight at Tactical Elements:Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Grinds my gears that it is basically a CNC'd piece of mediocre, though serviceable, steel. When folders on bearings using S35/S30 steels are coming to market in the sub $100 price point, this thing and the rest that copy it seem to be doubling the price compared to similar size and steel knives.

Even D2 variants are meh, considering D2 is quickly becoming basement entry level other then flee market knives. For $100 I demand better.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#42]
US Steel, AK, Arcelor Mittal, Nucor melt down confiscated and buyback firearms everyday. I don't get the fallout other than the Democrat donations but they been doing that for the last five years before the gun cutting.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
US Steel, AK, Arcelor Mittal, Nucor melt down confiscated and buyback firearms everyday. I don't get the fallout other than the Democrat donations but they been doing that for the last five years before the gun cutting.
View Quote

How many of those market heavily to the firearm community?
How many make social media posts bragging about helping LEO destroy firearms.

Just saying that whoever greenlit the post didn't think it all the way through....
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I’ve taken the SOCP course with Greg Thompson twice.

If you use the knife for what it’s designed for its great.

It’s not for opening cardboard packages or a pry bar, or gutting animals.

It’s made for breaking contact in close quarters so you can transition to your sidearm/rifle. It’s pretty effective when used correctly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It’s made for breaking contact in close quarters so you can transition to your sidearm/rifle. It’s pretty effective when used correctly.
View Quote

Exactly so.  I hesitate to call it a knife as many think of edged-utility; these designs are not.  Sole purpose is as a complementary close quarters tool to create distance and space to access or utilize a more potent weapon.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#46]
The owners are gun hating commies.

That said I own a number of their knives, before we knew they were gun hating commies, while I will never buy another knife from them, I won't get rid of the ones I have, just suggest that others spend their money elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The owners are gun hating commies.

That said I own a number of their knives, before we knew they were gun hating commies, while I will never buy another knife from them, I won't get rid of the ones I have, just suggest that others spend their money elsewhere.
View Quote

Though they make good knives there are so many other companies that make just as good knives I do not know why people on this site would continue to give them business after their shenanigans
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#48]
I bought mine before the big controversy.  The biggest disappointment was the edges around the ring were fairly sharp, not rounded.  I could somewhat maybe expect this level of quality with the trainer but not the actual knife.

I ended up wrapping some cloth baseball bat tape around the top of the ring to prevent it from digging into my finger when drawing the knife.  It works but I feel like I shouldn’t have to have done that after spending the money to buy the knife/trainer combo package.

As others have mentioned, the sheath is the better part of the Benchmade package, which really shines with its versatility to conceal.

If concealability isn’t a factor, I’d go with the Spartan version.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top