Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2023 9:19:49 AM EDT
Getting my SOT this year. Figure I’d grab a belt fed but I want something I don’t have to cut up or sell when I relinquish the SOT down the road. Yes I know about pre-May dealer samples. I’m specifically looking sir something in can return to semi auto. I’m excluding the Ares/Fightlight upper as I’ve not heard of a single person who has got one to run well out of the box without dicking with links of having a voodoo witch doctor sprinkle the ashes of a mummy onto it.

That said…I’m primarily looking at the FN M249S and the MM21/23E. HDD makes/made a carrier and grip/trigger assembly that converts a 249S to an open bolt without modifications to the receiver. And obviously a postie HK trigger pack is easy enough. Am I missing any other options?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Bren
Rpd
Uzi
Prolly a few others can have registered bolts
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#2]
You already named the first belt-fed options that came to mind.  The MM (Michael's Machines) belt feds have run great for me (with sear).  Any options to convert a semi-auto 1919?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#3]
M2HB
21e/23e
UKM/uk59
PKM
RPD

All of the above in semi can be converted to FA using a conversion device, with the rifle remaining a semiauto host.

Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I know you mentioned post May but Why not get a pre May?
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Getting my SOT this year. Figure I’d grab a belt fed but I want something I don’t have to cut up or sell when I relinquish the SOT down the road. Yes I know about pre-May dealer samples. I’m specifically looking sir something in can return to semi auto. I’m excluding the Ares/Fightlight upper as I’ve not heard of a single person who has got one to run well out of the box without dicking with links of having a voodoo witch doctor sprinkle the ashes of a mummy onto it.

That said…I’m primarily looking at the FN M249S and the MM21/23E. HDD makes/made a carrier and grip/trigger assembly that converts a 249S to an open bolt without modifications to the receiver. And obviously a postie HK trigger pack is easy enough. Am I missing any other options?
View Quote

This just wasn't our experience.  Yes, it did take a little bit of buffer experimentation (solved on first range trip), but after that it ran well.  Did not stretch or lube the links.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This just wasn't our experience.  Yes, it did take a little bit of buffer experimentation (solved on first range trip), but after that it ran well.  Did not stretch or lube the links.
View Quote
+1.  I have a Gen 1 Shrike.  I don't stretch or lube links.  Mine has run great.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just ran a friend’s Ares MCR on a transferable Colt lower. It ran new linked m193 without a hiccup. He’s been very pleased. It’s an example of one, by no means a statistically significant sample.

I wouldn’t hesitate to own one to use on a post sample lower.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#8]
As mentioned, 1919, M2 and RPD are east to create conversion devices for.

RPD is harder these days due to a lack of bolt carriers and FCG sections.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Of course it is your choice, but I need to ask, you are aware that if you are giving up your SOT, you can sell your Post Samples without a demo letter from the buyer right? It seems to me that the no love letter required Post Samples seem to be selling for decent money. There are those SOTs that are dealers because they don't want to deal with manufacturing requirements that seem to be willing to pay good money for such guns. That just seems like a win/win for both the buyer and the seller. I mean no offense, just asking.

Scott
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Of course it is your choice, but I need to ask, you are aware that if you are giving up your SOT, you can sell your Post Samples without a demo letter from the buyer right? It seems to me that the no love letter required Post Samples seem to be selling for decent money. There are those SOTs that are dealers because they don't want to deal with manufacturing requirements that seem to be willing to pay good money for such guns. That just seems like a win/win for both the buyer and the seller. I mean no offense, just asking.

Scott
View Quote
He can "get both" since he can sell the registered post sample MG conversion devices on GunBroker when he's not renewing the SOT and keep the guns (as semi-autos) by reinstalling their original semi parts.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know you mentioned post May but Why not get a pre May?
View Quote

Probably because pre-may beltfeds are extremely expensive, when you can find them.
As an example, the last pre-may M249 I saw, the seller was asking $60k, if I remember right.
And you can get a semi 249 for $10k.
I have never seen a pre-sample M60, but I wouldn't expect one (if one did pop up) to be less than $30k. I figure a 07 could build a postie for $10k.

With the cost of transferables being what they are right now, a large number of people who want the fun stuff without the deep pockets to afford it are just getting a SOT  license for the sole purpose of acquiring "keepers". These same individuals, if they go the 07 route, are using the loophole ability to sell posties without a LE letter as a way to fund the pre-samples by making and then selling off all of their posties when they decide to drop their license.

I have a strong feeling that will soon come to an end. The AFT isn't dumb. They can see what people are doing and will probably end the "no letter" exemption soon. Then a lot of guys are going to loose a lot of $$ on large stockpiles of posties that they will, at best, have to cut up and sell for parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top