Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2020 2:00:29 PM EDT
I'm working on a load for the 127 grain LRX 6.5mm bullet... damn things don't want to get under 1.5". I'm using H4350 and can get single digit SDs on a five shot group, but that group will still be big. I'm running them through a hunting rifle, but it is capable of sub 3/4 MOA with Hornady ELDs, so I don't think the gun is an issue.

I've pushed seating depth, and the groups came down from about 2" to closer to 1.5", but then opened up as I went further again.

Has anyone had much luck getting these things to shoot, or are they just not that consistently made?
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#2]
OP,
    With the current ammo/component shortage, I am still using the 143GR. ELD-X over H4350 in my 6.5MM CM RPR w 762-SD can. It groups 0.75 MOA or less out to 700yds. I fired my buddy's 127GR. LRX over RL17 load in his full-custom hunting rifle. Accuracy was a bit below 0.5 MOA for me but his rifle is capable of 0.25 MOA or less in his hands with his 127GR. LRX load. So the 127GR. LRX bullet itself is capable of some very fine accuracy. I have a box of them for testing in my RPR rifle and will try H4350 to start with. Will make sure to pay attention to what Barnes tells us to do as far as TSX/TTSX/LRX bullet jump goes (below). Sounds like you may have read this previously, just checking the box. I sorted out my 3006 firing the 180GR. TTSX over H4350 using the same guidance. The "sweet spot" for the 3006 firing 180GR. TTSX was just 0.030" bullet jump to the lands. The "sweet spot" for my 5.56MM M4A1 firing 70GR. TSX over TAC was also just 0.030" off the lands. So that is where I will start with the 127GR. LRX in 6.5MM CM. I can always increase the bullet jump with an arbor press/seating die right on the benchrest as needed while testing accuracy. And if H4350 does not deliver a high level of accuracy, I will pick up some RL17 to try just as stated above. HTH

Short version from Barnes FAQ section on TSX/TTSX/LRX bullet jump for accuracy:

Q: "Do I seat TSX bullets .030 inch to .070 inch from the lands, starting at .050 inch off the lands, as recommended with other X-style bullets?"
A: "Yes. All-copper TSX Bullets typically give better accuracy when seated off the lands and grooves (the rifling in the barrel)."

Long version from Barnes Technical Load Data section TSX/TTSX/LRX bullet jump for accuracy:

Q: "Where do I seat the TSX, Tipped TSX and LRX bullets?"

A: "When loading a Barnes TSX, Tipped TSX or LRX bullet, your rifle may prefer a bullet jump of anywhere between (a minimum of) .050” up to .250” or more. This distance off the lands (rifling), aka "jump" may be limited to the rifles throat length, magazine length and bullet length.

When selecting the cartridge overall length (COAL) we recommend starting with a minimum “jump” of .050” off of the lands. You can test different seating depths and find a “sweet spot” that your particular firearm prefers. We suggest working in at least .025” increments as follows seating the bullet deeper to allow a further jump. Your test plan could look something like this:

1st group- .050” jump
2nd group- .075” jump
3rd group- .100” jump
4th group- .125” jump
5th group- .150“ jump
6th group- * see below

This length can be determined by using a “Stoney Point Gauge” or other methods. You do not have to seat the bullet at, or on one of the cannelure rings. Remember there are many factors that may control or limit the seating depth for your application. You may find that you need to start at around 0.150” off the lands and are not able to get any closer due to limiting factors including proper neck tension and magazine length.

*In rifles that have long throats you may be limited on how close you are able to get the bullet to the lands. In these instances, it is not uncommon to find the best accuracy with a jump of .200” or more.

This jump may possibly stay the same regardless of powder or charge weight within a given rifle. If preferred accuracy is not obtained, we certainly recommend trying another powder, for the powder type and charge greatly affects the overall accuracy of each individual firearm.

FYI- An accurate load requires a bullet with the proper consistent case neck tension which leads to more constant pressures and velocities."
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot the 30 cal 200 grain LRX in my 300rum, it shoots under a half MOA if I am doing my part...It would probably do way better, but all I did is load 3 cases each at X.X charge weight to pick a load..haven't messed with anything else as far as different seating depths/powders/primers because it is my point blank kill it now load that fits the magazine for my long distance hunting rifle that uses the 230 berger  single fed for long range hunting/targets......Have shot a pile of barnes bullets, they should be accurate..make sure the bore is clean of other bullets copper, try several powder/primers try different seating lengths, they should shoot good...
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I went through a seating depth ladder again, to make sure I haven't missed anything. First, I have to clarify that I mispoke on the powder I'm using. I'm actually using RL-16, and I said H4350. That said, I had a couple of 5 round groups with single digit SD, so I don't think it's a powder issue. Over 30 shots at various seating depths, the SD was 10.55fps.

I cleaned the barrel thoroughly, using copper eliminator to make sure I wasn't fouled with some other jacket material. Worked in .003" increments through the best section (~.100 off the lands) of my last seating depth ladder.

My best group was around 1.5" center to center. Frick, this gun hates these things. The last group had a SD of 3.64fps and an extreme spread of 9.47fps... and was 3" center to center.

Looks like I'm going to have to find a different hunting bullet for this one.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
As Dryflash pointed out, you're leaving out a lot of important info.

What caliber?  What's your twist rate?  What kind of velocity are you seeing (not SD/ES, but average)?  What are the details of the ELD load you're comparing to?
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 11:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What caliber?  What's your twist rate?  What kind of velocity are you seeing (not SD/ES, but average)?  What are the details of the ELD load you're comparing to?
View Quote

It's a 6.5 creedmoor, 1:8 twist, and they are running in the 2840 fps range at the muzzle (hotter temps had them running a bit faster today than last time out, which was closer to 2810). Loads today were right around the Barnes listed 2.720 COAL. 42.5gr RL-16 which was a velocity node.

The eld was the 140gr over 41.1gr H4350 (which is why I misspoke in the original post) running about 2650fps, and loaded pretty long. I tried the lrx's long last time... They didn't like that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I would like to add that the seating depth on these bullets has been the key to many debugging issues for me, so maybe don't give up till you run a seating depth spread and don't be afraid to use larger jumps than you would expect.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#8]
The 127 LRX is an excellent bullet that has shot well for me in many rifles. Closer to the lands is not necessarily better with Barnes. Try everything from 0.010” to 0.0150” off the lands. 41.8 H4350 all the way up WAAAAYYYYY over book, depending on rifle/chamber, etc....
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate the input, however I've already ran it all the way out to 0.150 from the lands in 0.010 steps. I then redid the ladder over the "best" range in 0.003 increments, just to be sure. I did my powder ladder to as high as I felt comfortable (max book), because with how deep these seat, it's a compressed load.

There's a chance it's me and how I'm shooting the rifle. I've been doing more free recoil with a different rifle, and I remember this one not liking that much. I may be carrying improper technique over subconsciously.

So, I'm giving it one more chance this week where I'm going to be very deliberate in my form, but if it still isn't shooting, I'm selling the rest of the bullets. I'm already through two boxes on load work. I don't want to waste another $70 of bullets hoping it finally pays off.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
You meant cartridge not caliber.

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
...Loads today were right around the Barnes listed 2.720 COAL. 42.5gr RL-16 which was a velocity node.
View Quote

That’s interesting, their factory loads are at or over 2.750”.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never had issues getting Barnes bullets to shoot. Sometimes they need to go slower than I want or faster than is reasonable though. If they're not working for you and you've done some kind of a work up in powder charge I'd ditch them and move on to the next bullet.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, the final attempt didn't work out much better. Just can't get them to tighten up out of the hunting rifle (even ran a group out of my other rifle that's shoots everything well, and it didn't do any better). I saved a handful just in case I can't get anything else worked up in time for season, and a 2" group is fine for a couple hundred yards on deer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, the final attempt didn't work out much better. Just can't get them to tighten up out of the hunting rifle (even ran a group out of my other rifle that's shoots everything well, and it didn't do any better). I saved a handful just in case I can't get anything else worked up in time for season, and a 2" group is fine for a couple hundred yards on deer.
View Quote

Are you hunting where you can't use lead? If not the 130 Accubond worked well for me in my 6.5 Creed. It's not high BC or anything but it shoots and they flat out kill stuff. Looking back in my notes I never wrote down the load unfortunately.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Are you hunting where you can't use lead? If not the 130 Accubond worked well for me in my 6.5 Creed. It's not high BC or anything but it shoots and they flat out kill stuff. Looking back in my notes I never wrote down the load unfortunately.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, I actually just really respect Barnes, so that was the first thing I wanted to try. Plus, I eventually may hunt elk with this gun, and I figured they'd be a do all load.

I've got some Speer hot cors coming to mess with, just for something cheap. I may get some Eld-x, gamechanger, and gold dots if/when they get back in stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top