Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2022 6:59:11 PM EDT
I just bought a Vortex UH-1 gen 2 for my B&T APC9k and immediately ran into a major issue. The Vortex doesn't seem wide enough to fit onto the picatinny rail of the B&T. I tried to put the vortex on my AR15 and no issue at all.

Is it possible that the B&T rails are out of spec? I'm very surprised that my brand new optic won't fit on my APC9k -- and now it looks like I have to sell one or the other =(

Has anyone else had issues with mounting optics on the B&T APC9k ?
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Loosen the mounting cross bolt.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for your reply, but it is all the way loose and the lever open. There's not enough clearance for the mount to get over the side of the picatinny rail.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you trying to put it directly down onto the rail or cant it some to start it off at an angle and sort of hook the side of the rail, then let it sit down into the a lot?
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes I am starting at an angle on the lever side first and trying to hook the other side around the edge of the picatinny, but there’s not enough clearance.

I’ve seen people on YouTube use an Eotech on the APC, but the Vortex has this issue for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the same issue mounting a gen 1 on both my SP5 with a B&T rail and on my APC K Pro.

If memory serves, the issue is that the “shoulder” of the gun/rail is squared off. Most guns have a rounded edge of some sort under their rail. The lack of clearance prevents the Vortex from getting seated. This is compounded by the Vortex having an unusually thick mount. I had been wondering if the gen 2 would have the same problem.

If you watch as you try and get the mount settled, you will see the inside edge of whichever side of the mount is hooked under the rail fighting against the squared off edge of the gun. There’s just enough of an edge to stop it. You could probably force it on if you wanted but I opted not to.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:38:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I contacted Vortex and they have great customer support. They told me that B&T rails are not truly picatinny spec and do not have the correct height or width dimensions to allow fitment for the UH-1. They offered to give me a refund on the optic and paid for the shipping to them.

I have a Vortex razor hd gen 2 and will continue buying from them in the future.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I contacted Vortex and they have great customer support. They told me that B&T rails are not truly picatinny spec and do not have the correct height or width dimensions to allow fitment for the UH-1. They offered to give me a refund on the optic and paid for the shipping to them.

I have a Vortex razor hd gen 2 and will continue buying from them in the future.
View Quote

That Vortex employee is either misinformed/uneducated or trying to pass the blame to B&T. The APC has been adopted by the both the Air Force and Army which means the rails are mil-spec.

It’s not really either companies fault, it’s more of a “tolerance stacking” issue. The portion of the APC that’s preventing the mounting isn’t part of the rail, it’s part of the receiver and the “tooth” on the Vortex is exceptionally thick relative to just about any other sight I’ve ever seen. These two issues don’t matter 99% of the time but these two specific systems just don’t play well together.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 4:17:29 AM EDT
[#8]
My GHM9 is not compatible with my scalarworks mounts.  I simply cannot get the mount onto the rail, period.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the squared off receiver as there is very little "space" underneath the actual pic rail itself.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My GHM9 is not compatible with my scalarworks mounts.  I simply cannot get the mount onto the rail, period.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the squared off receiver as there is very little "space" underneath the actual pic rail itself.
View Quote

oh wow. I just returned the vortex and ordered a scalarworks / aimpoint combo instead. now this won't work either??? Im so pissed. I might actually just sell the B&T at this point...
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

oh wow. I just returned the vortex and ordered a scalarworks / aimpoint combo instead. now this won't work either??? Im so pissed. I might actually just sell the B&T at this point...
View Quote

For what it's worth I have multiple optics on my B&T guns. Optics include Aimpoint, Trijicon (MRO) and Holosun stuff. Never had any issues mounting anything on B&T.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I installed a Reptilia 509T mount on an APC9K without issue yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#13]
What did you end up with?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:04:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I installed a Reptilia 509T mount on an APC9K without issue yesterday.
View Quote

Same, no issues.

I have four scalarworks 1.93 aimpoint mounts.  None of them fit.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#15]
All of the APC top rails are “short” so there’s less clearance underneath them compared to ARs. ADM mounts and Holosun factory mounts are good to go. Eotech Exps series are close but still work. The factory Eotech magnifiers do not work, but the ADM swing mount works.

If I recall, garandthumb covered which mounts work on his APC223. The Larue mount did not work I believe.  Using one of the B&T mounts is probably a safe bet.  If you get rid of your B&T because of the mount, it’s a bit like saying you’d sell your new car because your favorite wheels don’t fit.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
All of the APC top rails are “short” so there’s less clearance underneath them compared to ARs. ADM mounts and Holosun factory mounts are good to go. Eotech Exps series are close but still work. The factory Eotech magnifiers do not work, but the ADM swing mount works.

If I recall, garandthumb covered which mounts work on his APC223. The Larue mount did not work I believe.  Using one of the B&T mounts is probably a safe bet.  If you get rid of your B&T because of the mount, it’s a bit like saying you’d sell your new car because your favorite wheels don’t fit.
View Quote

lol!

I don't think its unreasonable to sell a car because the wheels don't fit.  It comes down to what the end user really wants.

There are however plenty of workable mounts for this platform so its not like its EXTREMELY limited.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I am also using a B&T 30mm (medium-height) mount, which gives me absolute cowitness between my MBUS Pro BUIS and an Acro P-2.

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#18]
It works.  I had to call Vortex.  You need to line up square bar in teeth of rail.  Hook the side with latch and loosen the tightening screw as loose as you can and it will sit on the rail properly.  If you need pictures I can get you some.  Felt dumb when I finally figured it out.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is correct, as Vortex said the B&T APC9 rail is not a true pic rail there isn't enough height over the receiver for many mounts to work. Swiss precision engineering at work; they probably designed it for a specific mount (likely their own in the link above) per whatever contract the gun was designed for and DGAF if it works with other mounts. They could redo it but why bother for us plebs?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is correct, as Vortex said the B&T APC9 rail is not a true pic rail there isn't enough height over the receiver for many mounts to work. Swiss precision engineering at work; they probably designed it for a specific mount (likely their own in the link above) per whatever contract the gun was designed for and DGAF if it works with other mounts. They could redo it but why bother for us plebs?
View Quote

Stop spreading misinformation.

The rail is perfectly mil-spec. It wouldn't have been authorized for US military use if it wasn't.

If you don't believe me, feel free to break out your calipers, your B&T gun (you must own one considering how authoritatively you're speaking on the subject...) and the tech-specs for a MIL-STD-1913/STANAG 4694 rail and compare them.

What the specs for a rail don't cover are the receiver dimensions and the dimensions of a Vortex sight. While you have your calipers out feel free to compare the thickness for the parts of the UH-1 that interface with a rail with those of virtually any other mount. You'll find them to be significantly larger.

This is a case of two systems, neither of which are relevant to the technical specifications of a picatinny rail, coming into conflict with each other.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What the specs for a rail don't cover are the receiver dimensions...
View Quote

I’m of the understanding that the rail height is the issue. If that’s the case, the specs state a minimum .367” from the top of the rail to the receiver. Not sure if B&T meets this or not.

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:30:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

For what it's worth I have multiple optics on my B&T guns. Optics include Aimpoint, Trijicon (MRO) and Holosun stuff. Never had any issues mounting anything on B&T.
View Quote

Same here, currently have the B&T Aimpoint (TL micro?) with their mount but also tried a T1 with LaRue mount and an MRO (can’t remember mount)

Link Posted: 8/27/2022 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I just went through this with an EXPS3. Here’s the response I got from B&T who were very helpful..

“Our firearms feature NAR (NATO Accessory Rail) as it is the current NATO standard for railed attachment. NAR differ from picatinny or 1913 in key ways, see the link below for more details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Accessory_Rail

The difference between NAR and picatinny can lead to tightness or even an inability to attach certain quick detach mounts that are made to the tighter end of 1913/Picatinny specification.

I would encourage you to contact the maker of your mount, aftermarket or OEM, to inquire if that mount is compatible.”

I gotta say I was pretty disappointed to buy an optic and not have it fit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top