Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2019 2:02:53 PM EDT
Im in Ga and am not a knife expert. I do know that the possession of Automatics, switch blades, and balisong/butterfly knives in GA is perfectly legal. I dont know where ballistic knives fall into the discussion and Ive heard different opinions on whats legal or not. Ive never owned one but have the chance of getting one off of someone here in state and want to know legality before purchase. Its a spring powered "Spetsnaz" style one. Any "experts" want to chime in with the legality info?
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Neat, but about as nerve wracking as carrying around a grenade.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you miss the pull-ring safety pin?
View Quote
Nope

Sorry, nothing technical to add. I just saw the thread and it reminded me of how they made me feel after watching people reload them.

What was the movie it was in... Commando?
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#5]
How far do those launch the knife?
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
...like a grenade?
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#9]
That’s what pistols and a CCW are for! I have autos and they’re enough for me!

Chris
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 12:54:48 AM EDT
[#10]
What kind of idiot wants to fire their melee weapon across the room?

(I still want one just for the novelty)
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I remember these things being advertised in shotgun news and/or SOF magazine back in the 80s

I was never compelled to buy one.  But it is amazing that there wasn’t  a rash of teenagers shooting these things into each other, doing dumbass teenager stuff.  Maybe there was.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#13]
SO with most fun things. Ballistic knives are illegal as all hell federally. But MYOB applies here as with a lot of other things.

15 U.S.C. § 1245 as follows:

(a) Prohibition and penalties for possession, manufacture, sale, or importation
Whoever in or affecting interstate commerce, within any Territory or possession of the United States, within Indian country (as defined in section 1151 of title 18), or within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States (as defined in section 7 of title 18), knowingly possesses, manufactures, sells, or imports a ballistic knife shall be fined as provided in title 18, or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

(b) Prohibition and penalties for possession or use during commission of Federal crime of violence
Whoever possesses or uses a ballistic knife in the commission of a Federal crime of violence shall be fined as provided in title 18, or imprisoned not less than five years and not more than ten years, or both.

(c) Exceptions
The exceptions provided in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3) of section 1244 of this title with respect to switchblade knives shall apply to ballistic knives under subsection (a) of this section.

(d) “Ballistic knife” defined
As used in this section, the term “ballistic knife” means a knife with a detachable blade that is propelled by a spring-operated mechanism.

(Pub. L. 85–623, §?7, as added Pub. L. 99–570, title X, §?10002, Oct. 27, 1986, 100 Stat. 3207–167; amended Pub. L. 100–690, title VI, §?6472, Nov. 18, 1988, 102 Stat. 4379.)
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nope

Sorry, nothing technical to add. I just saw the thread and it reminded me of how they made me feel after watching people reload them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope

There was one in the Thomas Jane Punisher movie, too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
SO with most fun things. Ballistic knives are illegal as all hell federally. But MYOB applies here as with a lot of other things.

15 U.S.C. § 1245 as follows:

(a) Prohibition and penalties for possession, manufacture, sale, or importation
Whoever in or affecting interstate commerce, within any Territory or possession of the United States, within Indian country (as defined in section 1151 of title 18), or within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States (as defined in section 7 of title 18), knowingly possesses, manufactures, sells, or imports a ballistic knife shall be fined as provided in title 18, or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

(b) Prohibition and penalties for possession or use during commission of Federal crime of violence
Whoever possesses or uses a ballistic knife in the commission of a Federal crime of violence shall be fined as provided in title 18, or imprisoned not less than five years and not more than ten years, or both.

(c) Exceptions
The exceptions provided in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3) of section 1244 of this title with respect to switchblade knives shall apply to ballistic knives under subsection (a) of this section.

As used in this section, the term “ballistic knife” means a knife with a detachable blade that is propelled by a spring-operated mechanism.

(Pub. L. 85–623, §?7, as added Pub. L. 99–570, title X, §?10002, Oct. 27, 1986, 100 Stat. 3207–167; amended Pub. L. 100–690, title VI, §?6472, Nov. 18, 1988, 102 Stat. 4379.)
View Quote
@osprey21
@BLKVooDoo

So are they illegal in state or not?
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@osprey21
@BLKVooDoo

So are they illegal in state or not?
View Quote
Illegal on a Federal level. State law be damned, does not matter what the states say.

ETA: penalty for getting caught with a ballistic knife is the same as getting caught with a unregistered machine gun.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How about a .22 caliber Ramset blank? Not a firearm. Not spring propelled.

And it would have a lot more ass behind it than some spring.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Pub. L. 85–623, §?7, as added Pub. L. 99–570, title X, §?10002, Oct. 27, 1986, 100 Stat. 3207–167; amended Pub. L. 100–690, title VI, §?6472, Nov. 18, 1988, 102 Stat. 4379.)[/i]

I too have pondered that one. You would probably get into that whole AOW territory. But I am not a lawyer so.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ETA: penalty for getting caught with a ballistic knife is the same as getting caught with a unregistered machine gun.
View Quote
You mean, protected by the Bill of Rights?
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had one of the spring loaded ones back un the 80s before ATF classified them as a destructive device.

I can't guarantee veracity, but was told these knives were designed for "wet work" by Spetsbureau 13/KGB.

In use, an agent would have the knive concealed, bump into his target in a crowded environment and trigger the blade into the kidney area the target.

The agent would then loudly say "He's having a heart attack!!" or something similar and escape in the ensuing confusion.

This is probably a BS sales pitch but what I was told by the vendor I purchased from in 1982.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top