Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2018 4:18:58 PM EDT
I've been pondering getting a decent Bali for a while.
I have a BM 51 on order thanks to a few stacking discount codes that should have it to me by the end of the month at a bit more than 50% off straight from Benchmade.  Having played with a friends, I'm thinking solid flipper, but not a great EDC knife.... so the BM51 incoming is more of a fidget spinner type toy for me.

I'm looking at maybe grabbing a Microtech Tachyon 3, a BRS of some sort, or maybe going with the russian custom builder Atropos for something more EDC oriented than the Benchmade.

Any suggestions from the hive for a EDC capable Balisong?  Pocket clip is a bonus for carry, but not 100% necessary.  Flipping ability is fairly low on my wants... as long as I can flip it open to a useable grip, I'm good.
Price wise?... guess with Microtech and BRS in the running, I'm looking to keep it under 400$ if possible.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 51 a day first loved it’s light weight compared to my 62. Then as got better at flipping realized it was lacking. I added some weight to the handles and really helped.

Then co worker bought a brs. Freaking amazing flipper!!! Night and day difference. But from what I’ve seen brs has crap customer service. So I haven’t bought one yet.  But man do they flip nice!

Bought a tachyon 3. Dropped on carpet 30 min later and handle fell off.... microtech offered to fix also said they don’t make them anymore.  I returned it to the store.

I love benchmades so I’d like to try the new titanium one. 87?

The 51 however is an awesome edc! I carry it everyday use it for cutting everything from veggies and cheese for lunch to making kindling camping!
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input.

My coworker EDC's his 51... perhaps it is worthy.  It seemed a bit too light, but that is probably me coming from overbuilt folders and fixed blades.
I'm looking forward to Benchmade shipping my 51 to me... I had figured it would be a toy, perhaps it will get more use.

For EDC/Work carry, I'll still have a fixed blade on my belt for tough cutting chores, so the 51 will be mainly used for minor quick cuts.

My concern with the Microtech, and why I likely haven't grabbed one, is the aluminum handles... seems like they cheaped out there.  Their blades are solid though... my Ultratech is an amazing knife.
BRS seem to get universal praise, but finding one seems like a slim chance.
I ran across Atropos on reddit and the chans... been watching some video reviews.  I might grab one from him anyhow to ensure russian collusion in my knife collection.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:06:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I also love to edc an afo2 or one of my Grayman knives folders. Especially the new Tiga! They are all beefy folders so I know what you mean.

That 51 carries great! And if u lock the handles open with the latch it is 100% solid knife! And since I flip it I drop it. Which translates to not being afraid to use it for hard work lol.

I epoxied small brass rods into the reseses on the scales. It is the perfect weight now. And I didn’t do it until it was nice and beat up anyway (I mean broke in)

But co worker and I would try and beat each other with new tricks. He got that brs and grew by leaps and bounds. I practiced simple fanning and still couldn’t get it down with my 51. I grabbed his brs the other day and first try nailed it.

He has trouble getting spare parts and even replies from the company which turns me off.

I’ll still probably get one some day though. Check out balisong groups on face book. One has a trade page. Where guys will buy multiples when there is a brs drop and they will sell them for No profit. Also lots of used ones sometimes great deals.

Weird though. Seams like most of them only care about balis. Not many collect other knives. A lot of kids it seams.

You can email me and I can send ya some pics and videos of mine.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top