Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2018 7:56:40 PM EDT
So here’s the situation.  Have a couple dt cans .Used several nights a week . Last week had a baffle strike on one of them.  Guessing round count was 1500ish. No big deal. Got an rma, and was told it would be taken care of.  Out shooting with my bride this eve, get a strike on the other can .  These cans are sequential numbers .  Roughly same round count.  Here’s the kicker, the rifles they’re on, are the only rifles they’ve been on. Ones been on a 308, the other on a 6.8.

No there’s not a crush washer on either rifle, yes they’re always checked to make sure they’re tight.

So my question would be , what the hell could have caused this? The timing is too close to think coincidence, at least in my pea brain . I intentionally left mfg out, this isn’t intended to bash. But they’re not joe bobs back yard suppressor co....  this is major mfg
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So here’s the situation.  Have a couple dt cans .Used several nights a week . Last week had a baffle strike on one of them.  Guessing round count was 1500ish. No big deal. Got an rma, and was told it would be taken care of.  Out shooting with my bride this eve, get a strike on the other can .  These cans are sequential numbers .  Roughly same round count.  Here’s the kicker, the rifles they’re on, are the only rifles they’ve been on. Ones been on a 308, the other on a 6.8.

No there’s not a crush washer on either rifle, yes they’re always checked to make sure they’re tight.

So my question would be , what the hell could have caused this? The timing is too close to think coincidence, at least in my pea brain . I intentionally left mfg out, this isn’t intended to bash. But they’re not joe bobs back yard suppressor co....  this is major mfg
View Quote

Since you got a RMA quickly we know it’s not SiCo...
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you made any changes in ammo?  Factory or reloads/remanufactured?  Rapid fire? Plated bullets?

Sometimes a bullet does a unique thing.  These usually result in slight baffle grazes and not full on hammer of Thor baffle deformations. I've seen bad key holing with no evidence of baffle contact at all with both rimfire and centerfire.

This is God's way of telling you to buy another can.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Since you got a RMA quickly we know it’s not SiCo...
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll second the ammo question, first and foremost.

Have you cleaned the rifles' bores recently? Cleaned or inspected the crown?

Any gunk build up on the barrel threads or shoulders?

How often do you check the suppressor while shooting, to make sure it's still tight?

Have you ever inspected the alignment with a bore rod? Have you inspected it since the baffle strike?

Lots of variables to consider.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#5]
All the ammo is factory. All of it is the only type that’s been through each can, respectively.  The first one to go south, was f****ed up.  Looked like you tried to beat the carbon off with a pick ax

Most recent, is a beautiful, sad keyhole . Looks like it was machined that way
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually check to make sure they’re tight after every volley.  Sometime it’s 3 or 4 shots. Sometimes 10.  Just depends on the number of pigs in the sounder
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you tried shooting the rifles without the suppressors, to see if they are keyholing?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Shooting wo the can was first thing I checked. Both are fine.  Like I said, just seems odd that at pretty much the same time, both went south, after quite a few rounds.  Would think if it was rifle/ammo/physics physics problem, it would be there from the start
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 1:10:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have you made any changes in ammo?  Factory or reloads/remanufactured?  Rapid fire? Plated bullets?

Sometimes a bullet does a unique thing.  These usually result in slight baffle grazes and not full on hammer of Thor baffle deformations. I've seen bad key holing with no evidence of baffle contact at all with both rimfire and centerfire.

This is God's way of telling you to buy another can.  
View Quote
I don’t want to hijack OPs thread but what you just said is pertinent to me... I have a 5.56 can with a very slight endcap strike, a nick on the inside face with no other deformation, no outward bulge on the endcap and the exit hole is still perfectly round. There are no strikes to the blast baffle. I’ve kind of obsessed with the possibility that internal baffles were damaged but I can’t really tell by looking. It’s a newer M42000 that has the “scooped” cut baffles and they all look kind of rough down that side anyway. Waste of time to send it in for inspection or is it generally a good idea to have it checked out?
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don’t want to hijack OPs thread but what you just said is pertinent to me... I have a 5.56 can with a very slight endcap strike, a nick on the inside face with no other deformation, no outward bulge on the endcap and the exit hole is still perfectly round. There are no strikes to the blast baffle. I’ve kind of obsessed with the possibility that internal baffles were damaged but I can’t really tell by looking. It’s a newer M42000 that has the “scooped” cut baffles and they all look kind of rough down that side anyway. Waste of time to send it in for inspection or is it generally a good idea to have it checked out?
View Quote
If you can borrow a fiber optic inspection camera that's one approach. If the can shoots fine you have two choices. Keep shooting it until it is obviously got a problem. Or send it in. With the way the market is maybe the safe bet is to send it in while companies are still viable.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Were both cans in the same rifle? How many rounds does the barrel have through it if so?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All the ammo is factory. All of it is the only type that’s been through each can, respectively.  The first one to go south, was f****ed up.  Looked like you tried to beat the carbon off with a pick ax

Most recent, is a beautiful, sad keyhole . Looks like it was machined that way
View Quote

Even though it's factory ammo, is it different factory ammo from what you've been using or a different lot (ie, maybe a bad lot of ammo)?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Cans were on separate rifles, never swapped

Those cams had only been on those rifles

Same ammo has been through same can it entire life. Different ammo mfg for respective rifles though

Not sure round count.  Buy the stuff 2k rnds at a time.  I would feel safe saying that round count is within 10% between the rifles.  When we hunt , one may have 40rnds that night, the other 50.  Then reversed on next night .  But pretty damned close
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When we hunt , one may have 40rnds that night, the other 50.  Then reversed on next night .  But pretty damned close
View Quote
I wish I hunted where you hunt.  You’re hunting knives must be worn down to the handle from sharpening.

It’s either coincidence or something happened to your rifles.

2 guns with 2 dedicated cans consistently using ammunition from the same lots that they have had good results from for over 1000 rounds?  I would not bet on ammunition as the source.

How do you transport your guns? Cans always on?  In hard cases, soft cases, rifle rack, tossed in the bed of a truck or utv?  With them both happening close to the same time it could be they got thrown out of alignment in transport by having a 1/2 dead hog flop on them in the truck or something.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want to come hunt we’d be glad to have you. Give me a shout about that separate

Rifles transported in padded soft case, in the truck, to and from location.  After the hunt starts, they stay on us.  Rifles function fine without cans, running same ammo .  I’ve though a lot about the potential cause of the problem, and have come up with a theory.  Was hoping a couple of the vendors/mfg would offer thoughts on the subject.  Once I get them back, if they determine root cause, I’ll share
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#16]
So figured I’d update.  Never said what mfg these were, but had several folks ask via pvt msg.  Both were sico.  When I sent them in, they had them a total 18 days. As best I can tell, they’re brand new replacements.  I never actually talked to anybody, or had any updates ect. Still no idea what caused it.  But they’re back in svc, so I guess it really doesn’t matter......
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 6:05:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:Both were sico.  When I sent them in, they had them a total 18 days. As best I can tell, they’re brand new replacements.
View Quote
Quick RMA, only 18 days, and brand new replacements? That doesn’t align well with all the SiCo bashing around here lately. Please delete your update so we may rejoin our regularly scheduled programming.

Glad you were well taken care of!
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#18]
That’s why I left out mfg originally. I’ve got no allegiance to anybody. And I will say a little communication would have been nice, and made me feel all warm and fuzzy about my broke shit. But again, brand new replacement....... guess my situation was just anomaly.  Really would like to know what caused the original problem.   Still got me scratching my head
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quick RMA, only 18 days, and brand new replacements? That doesn’t align well with all the SiCo bashing around here lately. Please delete your update so we may rejoin our regularly scheduled programming.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Both were sico.  When I sent them in, they had them a total 18 days. As best I can tell, they’re brand new replacements.

Two weeks ago I had a serious baffle strike on my SiCo Saker.  The tube was fine but all the baffles were damaged.  I contacted SiCo that day and received an RMA that very same day after a few emails describing the damage and receiving their reassurance that they could take repair it.  I shipped the Saker back that day.  TWELVE DAYS after I shipped the damaged silencer I received a shipping notice that it's on its way back!

The baffle strike was my error, nothing to do with the MAAD mount (which so far has fully performed for me) or other manufacturer issues.

+1 to SiCo for this type of customer service.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'll second the ammo question, first and foremost.

Have you cleaned the rifles' bores recently? Cleaned or inspected the crown?

Any gunk build up on the barrel threads or shoulders?

How often do you check the suppressor while shooting, to make sure it's still tight?

Have you ever inspected the alignment with a bore rod? Have you inspected it since the baffle strike?
View Quote
Most of these are where I'd start.

Just because the can appears to be tight, doesn't mean it is properly installed.  It MUST lock up tight and suddenly on the thread shoulder.  The threads themselves are not sufficient to ensure alignment with the bore.  It is shockingly easy to damage threads.

IMO a bore rod is a sh!tty way to try to see if the can is straight.  By far the quickest and most accurate method is to clean the bore, then with bolt open and a bit of white paper inside the action, look straight down the bore from the muzzle end (a light will help illuminate the bore).  You will be able to see both ends of the bore as well as the "crown" of the suppressor.  Those three should form concentric circles.  Anything out of line will stand out like a turd in a bowl of milk.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't want to hijack OPs thread but what you just said is pertinent to me... I have a 5.56 can with a very slight endcap strike, a nick on the inside face with no other deformation, no outward bulge on the endcap and the exit hole is still perfectly round. There are no strikes to the blast baffle. I've kind of obsessed with the possibility that internal baffles were damaged but I can't really tell by looking. It's a newer M42000 that has the "scooped" cut baffles and they all look kind of rough down that side anyway. Waste of time to send it in for inspection or is it generally a good idea to have it checked out?
View Quote
As long as the bore of the can is not obviously damaged and there is nothing intruding upon the bore then I'd keep shooting the thing.   Baffle strikes happen sometimes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top