Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2022 3:58:26 PM EDT
Looking for an ideal solution for a target backstop (behind & around target trap) for indoor shooting.  This will be for .177 caliber pellets out of an airgun (<1000 fps). What material is best?  Does it have to be angled? Please share any ideas or solutions that you have and know are effective and safe.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Rubber stall mats from Tractor Supply.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 5:01:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vicrattlehead] [#2]
When I was a kid we used a highly engineered sandwich of wadded up newspaper, old phone books, and finally 3/4" plywood- in that order.  (Usually they stopped in the phone book after they exited the matchbox car, 1/24 scale Monogram/Revell/Ertl model car or G.I. Joe guy)
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 6:34:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harv24] [#3]
I got ya...
Go to Home Depot/Lowes
Buy rubber tire mulch, about 2-3 bags.
then go buy a big plastic tote with a lid.
cut an 8.5" x 11" rectangle in the lid and place cardboard on the inside.
fill tote with mulch, place lid and set on its side.

Add target...

this bad boy will stop a .22 cal PCP at 1000fps at 2 ydss

The rubber mulch never gets a hole in it and you can shoot in the same place all the time.
About $20 in materials.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 12:19:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Harv24:
I got ya...
Go to Home Depot/Lowes

Add target...

The rubber mulch never gets a hole in it and you can shoot in the same place all the time.
About $20 in materials.
View Quote

Solid. Im gonna give this one a try.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By VillageIdiot2:

Solid. Im gonna give this one a try.
View Quote

One of the box archery targets works really well if you have one not being used.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:59:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#6]
Originally Posted By Tier1Terrier:
Looking for an ideal solution for a target backstop (behind & around target trap) for indoor shooting.  This will be for .177 caliber pellets out of an airgun (<1000 fps). What material is best?  Does it have to be angled? Please share any ideas or solutions that you have and know are effective and safe.
View Quote

The traditional approach among airgun enthusiasts is the silent pellet trap. Essentially, it's a box filled with "Ductseal" and fitted with a replaceable cardboard front for stapling targets. The putty will capture the pellets. You can either clean out the clumps eventually, or just let the globs of lead grow. Beware, it will get heavy with use.

Google "silent pellet trap" and you'll find lots of discussion, videos, etc.

If you're not handy, here's one you can buy: Air Venturi A.G.E. Quiet Pellet Trap

If you build your own, this is what you fill it with:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GAUTW8?tag=arfcom00-20

https://www.homedepot.com/p/IDEAL-1-lb-Block-Duct-Seal-Compound-Standard-Pack-6-Blocks-31-601/300496860
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By cubie:
Rubber stall mats from Tractor Supply.
View Quote

I'll second this.  They also make damn good archery back stops as well.  For forty bucks you could even cut one in half and make two.  Be warned, though.  They weigh about 100 pounds a piece.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Harv24:
I got ya...
Go to Home Depot/Lowes

Add target...

About $20 in materials.
View Quote

I second this.  Go as big as you can with it, test outside first, some people try to get away with smaller than they should.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#9]
You can use a blanket or sheets and hang it up behind the target. Target use a cardboard box with balled up newspaper inside.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top