Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2018 2:02:57 AM EDT
Does anyone else's 10/22 have problems feeding from these reliably?  I frequently get a failure to feed where the nose of the cartridge ends up missing the chamber high and gets impacted on the breach face above the chamber opening.  FWIW, my 10 round flush fit rotary mag will run all day every day until your ammo is gone.

Any way to get these to feed better?  If not, are there any viable alternatives, such as the BX-15 mags or the Butler Creek mags?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:31:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought 20 bx25s as a panic buy and about 15 of them will run.  The butler creek mags are hands down better.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 3:35:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought 20 bx25s as a panic buy and about 15 of them will run.  The butler creek mags are hands down better.
View Quote
Hot lips or steel lips?  Or are they about the same?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
They both work great.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone having problems or troubles with your BX 25 mags. Just send your troubles my way. I will be more than happy to take these off your hands.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got 10 of the Ruger BX-25 magazines which I bought when they were first introduced.  No issues whatsoever.  They are well designed and built.  My 10/22 rifles run like sewing machines - smoothly and effortlessly.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 7:06:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I had trouble with a few of my BX25 mags when I first got them.  Took them apart and reassembled and they worked perfect.  Not sure why they worked as I didn't see anything wrong, but it's worth a try.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I have several and they all run great. Never had a problem with any of them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have about 6 of them and they work great.

My Butler Creek mag works good too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd take apart the mag OP and give it a good once over and cleaning.  I've never had a problem with the Ruger OEM mags.

I've never been a fan of the butler creek mags as you cannot take them apart for cleaning/maintenance....something that's very important IMO especially with 22's.

That said, I remember Butler Creek Steel Lips mags fetching stupid prices during the AW ban at around $150ea.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 5:56:26 AM EDT
[#10]
My BX25s fail to feed is when they are extreme dirty from suppressed shooting.  Since I shoot suppressed the most, I usually clean the mags at the same time I clean the rifle.

I found American Eagle, Federal and Winchester ammo are consistent in failure to feed in all but one 10/22.  I have seven 10/22s, only my takedown cycles those listed brands.   My experience is across BX25s, BX1s and Steel lips mags.  Even my buckmark chokes on the listed brands.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#11]
The early BX-25s were problematic. A google search for "BX-25 magazine problems" will get you multiple links to the Rimfire Central board, where the issues and fixes are frequently covered.
Cleaning and lubing helps, but the follower spring spool is too big for its axle, so there's wobble and the follower gets jammed. A cut-down .22LR case bushes the spool to correct size.
Ammo (technically, bullet) configuration also causes some problems due to a "pinch point" in the cast feed lips, especially with Blazer. Slightly opening the pinch point with a fine file allows the bullet nose to rise enough to feed.
Using mag loaders with force instead of finesse results in rimlock (an upper rim being behind the lower rim), resulting in jamming up the follower.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I have 6 BX25's and 6 BX15's.  Both feed just as reliable as the 10 round rotary mag that came with the rifle(s).   I also have Butler Creek mags, I bought before the BX mag's came out,  They are sketchy as all get out.  They havn't left the safe in YEARS.

I only shoot Federal Bulk Pack ammo, which feeds and shoots out of all my .22lr firearms with out a hitch.  MAYBE 1 FTF every 300+ rounds, I just send it back threw and it fires the 2nd time, every time.

-Masta
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top