Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2022 1:47:06 PM EDT
I saw someone made a bullpup lower for the Stribog(?).

Why not make one for the BRN-180 or other similar uppers?
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#1]
It could be done. But it is going be challenging to get the lower to house everything with a factory handguard.

If someone can  3D print the lower as a proof of concept to see if what can be done with trigger linkage and the fire control group to see what available parts can be used before making special parts. Another problem I see is the cost of making 1 or 10,000 and if making 10,000 how much of an investment is selling wants to sink before getting a return on that investment.

I know during the 80s there were some prototypes of used AR15 upper and lowers that where built into bullpup configuration. But nothing more came out of that.

Sterling or Enfield during the 70s took an AR18 or AR180 made a proof concept bullpup prototype that was the fore runner to th SA80 project.

I would say the best and possible the cheapest route to go is to do a Polymer shell that takes the BRN-180 upper and the registered lower and transform it into a bullpup.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd almost rather have a Foxtrot Mike FM-15 conversion. The AR-18 reciprocating charging handle is not optimal on a bullpup IMHO.

An M&P 15-22 conversion would be a sweet little plinker.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Fwiw the Bushmaster M17S was based on the AR180 operating system.
The platform was never fully developed, however K&M did modernize them and even came out with their own version of it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The platform was never fully developed, however K&M did modernize them and even came out with their own version of it.
View Quote

That's a correct statement. I believe that K&M contacted that Australian designer and got inputs for updating the design. If remember correctly that the Leader rifle was designed by the same guy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's a correct statement. I believe that K&M contacted that Australian designer and got inputs for updating the design. If remember correctly that the Leader rifle was designed by the same guy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense since they upgrade from the AR-18's Johnson style bolt to the Leader T-2 style bolt.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I saw someone made a bullpup lower for the Stribog(?).

Why not make one for the BRN-180 or other similar uppers?
View Quote
American L85 kit? Fuck it why not we could probably do it better.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I wonder why someone couldn't make something like the Ukrainian Malyuk, but based on the AR15 instead of the AK.

Even if it used completely different upper or lower receivers, but still retained the AR15 barrel, gas system, BCG (maybe just the bolt if not the carrier), rail systems, perhaps some of the trigger/safety parts.

It would take advantage of a huge parts aftermarket out there. Not for cost savings, but for customizability and versatility.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wonder why someone couldn't make something like the Ukrainian Malyuk, but based on the AR15 instead of the AK.

Even if it used completely different upper or lower receivers, but still retained the AR15 barrel, gas system, BCG (maybe just the bolt if not the carrier), rail systems, perhaps some of the trigger/safety parts.

It would take advantage of a huge parts aftermarket out there. Not for cost savings, but for customizability and versatility.

View Quote

@dmk0210
That is indeed coming. Check this out: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/New-bullpup-from-Senex-Arms/43-532150/
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#9]
^ Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.  

I hope it comes to fruition. I wish a bigger (more proven) company was doing it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 4:50:41 AM EDT
[#10]
In the realm of 3D printing, there's the old Hanuman by Warfairy. It's functional but 3D guns have come a LONG way since that project was finished.

You could probably get away with modifying a newer design to work. Something like a Hoffman or UBAR would do. Since the BRN-180/FM-15 both have self-contained recoil assemblies you could get away from the (ingenious) reinforcements and instead just make it all one piece.

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
So....slap a butt plate on an AR receiver with FM15 upper.  Designer a MLOK mounted grip/trigger/mag release unit and use a linkage to actuate the trigger and mag release?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top