Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2017 10:29:27 AM EDT
I am looking at getting a rifle kit for my 10 year old son for Christmas as a project we can both work on.

Obviously, being 10, it rules out the KY rifle kit.

Has anyone here completed a kit with they son?

What are some recommendations that will not break the bank?
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking at getting a rifle kit for my 10 year old son for Christmas as a project we can both work on.

Obviously, being 10, it rules out the KY rifle kit.

Has anyone here completed a kit with they son?

What are some recommendations that will not break the bank?
View Quote

Probably best to go with one of the simpler kits
The Lyman kits are pretty well regarded and you dont need a ton of experience to do it.
Lyman Great Plains Kits
most of the work involved is sanding, polishing and finishing. No real stock carving or in letting.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#2]
what he said,it can be a great time together and can become a family heirloom.My grandson just took a deer with a Hawken I built in 1973 long before his birth or his Mothers,boy was he excited
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Probably best to go with one of the simpler kits
The Lyman kits are pretty well regarded and you dont need a ton of experience to do it.
Lyman Great Plains Kits
most of the work involved is sanding, polishing and finishing. No real stock carving or in letting.
View Quote
Came here to add a +1 to this. Be sure you get the correct barrel for your intended usage. They have a roundball barrel with a 1-60 twist, AND a 1-28/32 designed for shooting conicals, Maxi-balls etc.
The 50 caliber roundball weighs in around 190 grains and is a solid deer killer. I have shot both the kit built, and the complete riifle and am very happy with them. The faster twist barrel allows you to toss a 370 grain bullet that is like a sledgehammer on deer and pigs. I had my best accuracy with the round ball and about 90-95 grains of 3F black powder. Ballistics with 190 gr ball @ around 1900-200 fps are just a little shy of a 30-30 round. Inside of 100-125 yards you should be good to go.

Great project to do with the kids if they have the temperament for it. If not well you still got yerself a damn nice rifle that gives ya a few more hunting days each year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top