Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2018 2:22:26 AM EDT
I'm kicking around getting a BP rifle for next years muzzle loaders hunt.. As my hunting involves ambushing bambi as he comes out into our fields, a smoke pole with range is a big plus. We can run glass on the rifles so, whatever I do get will have optics on it.. This sort of leaves me with a  MOUNTAINEER by Knight or a Remington 700 Ultimate. Remington claims that their rifle is a 300yrd gun as compared to knights 200yrd claim. Has anyone ran either of these rifles? Likes, dislikes, ect.. Like I said I'm looking for next year so I'm not in a huge rush.. Would be shooting out to 300yrds +/-
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:57:03 AM EDT
[#1]
A friend of mine managed to kill a Persian Ibex in the Florida Mountains from around 400 yards with a UML.

They're legit.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The only rem 700 ml I’ve seen in action was terribly unreliable.  We finally realized that the tip had broken off the cast striker so the primer was essentially being hit with a flat-faced punch.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only rem 700 ml I’ve seen in action was terribly unreliable.  We finally realized that the tip had broken off the cast striker so the primer was essentially being hit with a flat-faced punch.
View Quote
The 700 ML and the UML are radically different guns.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 45 Mountaineer  (newer version with 1:20 twist rate) and it's a tack driver.  That's the only version of the Mountaineer that I would recommend though.  Several shooters are using them in NMLRA Inline matches with good success both with heavy lead and sized jacketed bullets.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:50:25 AM EDT
[#5]
How far out are they being shot?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:51:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a 45 Mountaineer  (newer version with 1:20 twist rate) and it's a tack driver.  That's the only version of the Mountaineer that I would recommend though.  Several shooters are using them in NMLRA Inline matches with good success both with heavy lead and sized jacketed bullets.
View Quote
How far out are they being shot?

How far are you shooting yours?

What's your definition of a tack driver?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:23:22 AM EDT
[#7]
My current load is a .451 conical that weighs 522 grains with 80 grains of Goex FF.  From a rest at 100 yards I can usually keep holes touching if conditions are right.  For longer range I'm still working on making a drop chart for scope adjustments but I'd be comfortable taking a deer with it out to at least 250 yards as it sits right now.

The NMLRA matches go out to 300 yards I believe but their range goes out to 500.  I've been fortunate to have several mentors who compete there regularly.  The one who turned me on to using fast twist .45s regularly kills deer in the 300-400 yards range.  The heavy conical / fast twist barrel is a proven combo, I believe it was the Whitworth rifles that pioneered it over 100 years ago.

One thing to keep in mind it you go this route is bullet drop is huge.  I'm using a 20 MOA rail and Zee rings to get the most out of my scope.  Knowing your ranges and making quick adjustments is critical if you're going to hunt with it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Go with a smokeless powder ML if you want to stretch out your range.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:02:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do you have any models\names that you can toss my way?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't speak to what ScottyPotty would recommend but I have a Savage ML2 which along with its predecessor the 10ML are the only production smokeless muzzleloaders.  These have been discontinued for years but they are plentiful on the used market.
I have not found mine to be that accurate but it's nice sometimes to be able to shoot a bunch without swabbing.  Other have had similar experiences and barrel swaps to .40 and .45 are very popular.  There's several companies doing conversions and selling smokeless muzzleloaders based on the Savage model 10 and Remington 700 actions.  I know Arrowhead Sporting Goods in Iowa does a bunch and has a good reputation.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I like black powder ML hunting but wanted something flatter shooting.  At the time Ohio only allowed shotgun and ML for deer hunting.  Lots of guys would use modern inline ML during firearm season since you could push the range quite a bit.

I started looking into smokeless and kind of got hooked on it.  I bought a 45/70 barrel for my TC Encore and a Savage ML breech plug.  I sent the barrel off to get threaded for the BP and headspace for the encore.  It worked out great, I shoot a sabot with a .40 barnes 200gn copper bullet at 2500+ FPS under 1 MOA with H4198.  The extra benefits of smokeless (besides speed/flat shooting) is cheaper powder, hardly have to clean your barrel, no rusting or extra corrosion,  not sitting a smoke cloud wondering if you deer dropped or is running away.

There are also many options depending on how fancy you want to get.  Guys are building rifles out of Savage and Remmy actions, pushing 275gn bullets 3000+ fps.  They are also full forming bullets to match their barrels, using .375 caliber barrels and using real rifle bullets.  Lots of different ways to go, but unless you go with a full custom rifle or pick up a Savage you will have to do some research to find out what's best for you.

Lots of good information from these two places.  Also Arrowhead sporting goods was mentioned and I have purchased several things from them.  The guy there has lots of experience and help me over the phone.  If you want simple and lower cost the encore conversion or the CVA 45-70 rifles are a good place to start.  I kind of want to build another one in 40 cal and go sabotless.  I even have the remington 700ml action ready to go......

Doug's Board
Hank's Board

Here is my first doe taken with the encore.....I had the rifle zeroed at 100Y and ready to go out there when this gal walked out about 25yards from my stand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top