Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which rails/scopes fit this receiver?
View Quote

Hypothetically any M1 type rail or optic should fit. My particular receiver did not fit the railed optics I have (a minute or two with a file or stone would have fixed the issue) but all rail options fit no problems.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:49:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I guess the question should be rephrased as: Is this factory rail available for purchase?  I haven't found it at any price.  Buying an SSG08 just for the side rail would definitely be too expensive.  The referred to rail would only work if you wanted to go MLOK.
View Quote

I haven't been able to get one yet. Maybe in the near future they'll be obtainable, but it doesn't look like we can buy them right now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@Park-Hit-Run

AUG receivers are very difficult to source and always much more expensive than what this is offered at. I don't know how many of these are left or if they ever plan to sell anything like this again. If you think you might want one, then my suggestion would be to not wait.

View Quote

A receiver and BCG in hand would be very comforting.
Right NOW they aren’t the cheapest to build if you’re buying everything, but, who knows?
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you Maleante for the heads up on this opportunity.  Mine is on the way!  

The plan is to turn my 9mm conversion kit into a full time proposition.  I have a Steyr M3-A1 short rail ordered and a Manticore Switchback CH back ordered.  

As luck would have it, all of my AUG stuff is in secure storage in Free America so it will be a while before this comes to fruition.  

While I wait, some questions for the AUG illuminati:  

Do Steyr factory top rails ship with fasteners, or will I have to source those separately?  If so, should I contact Pete or Steyr, or are they a standard size item I can purchase from an online hardware source?

Also, I’m not sure if I have a spare butt plate in my parts collection.  Just to confirm the obvious, is Pete the go to guy for these too?

Link Posted: 11/9/2020 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A Manticore Arms Switchback is perfectly suited for the way that is set up.  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

And they’re available right now.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thank you Maleante for the heads up on this opportunity.  Mine is on the way!  

The plan is to turn my 9mm conversion kit into a full time proposition.  I have a Steyr M3-A1 short rail ordered and a Manticore Switchback CH back ordered.  

As luck would have it, all of my AUG stuff is in secure storage in Free America so it will be a while before this comes to fruition.  

While I wait, some questions for the AUG illuminati:  

Do Steyr factory top rails ship with fasteners, or will I have to source those separately?  If so, should I contact Pete or Steyr, or are they a standard size item I can purchase from an online hardware source?

Also, I’m not sure if I have a spare butt plate in my parts collection.  Just to confirm the obvious, is Pete the go to guy for these too?
View Quote

@5D15

Sorry I missed your questions. The rails do not ship with fasteners. You can call and ask Steyr, they’ll ship them to you for 3 or 4 dollars. They used to use a 4mm hex bolt, but now they use t30? Torx. I’ll have to check on the size, I’m going off my memory when I opened the envelope. Definitely check with Pete on the buttplate, if not call Steyr and they might be able to help you out.

Link Posted: 11/9/2020 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I should update this by saying I put everything together and ran a couple magazines through it in August. Perfect function and no issues.

Seeing how things currently are, I’m considering buying another one of these sets. If you can’t find an AUG this is a good way to ensure you have one - it’s just lacking a couple things that you could pick up over time.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 1:25:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Building one of these receivers for a 9mm gun,which scope rail to go with,short rail,high/long rail,or extended rail? Also does anyone know the right size bolts for the rail?
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Building one of these receivers for a 9mm gun,which scope rail to go with,short rail,high/long rail,or extended rail? Also does anyone know the right size bolts for the rail?
View Quote

I prefer the extended rail. It gives you the most utility. The short rail is nearly useless and the long (high) rail is ok.

I don’t know the thread pitch or bolt specifications - I suggest calling Steyr and asking to purchase the 3 bolts. For a couple bucks they’ll send you exactly what you need.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Side rail is held on with M6-1.0 x 8mm flathead 90 degree machine screws - Torx T30 head (not that this matters, hex work just as well), grade 8.8, probably oxide finish stainless.  I doubt the top rail was drilled or threaded differently, but the screws might be longer than 8mm.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Side rail is held on with M6-1.0 x 8mm flathead 90 degree machine screws - Torx T30 head (not that this matters, hex work just as well), grade 8.8, probably oxide finish stainless.  I doubt the top rail was drilled or threaded differently, but the screws might be longer than 8mm.
View Quote

Off to the Home Depot drawers to search for hours... I bet McMaster Carr has them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]
More info - was looking in my manual and the parts diagram appears to show the top rail screws a bit longer and with a pan or cap head, not the tapered flathead - apparently not countersunk..
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
More info - was looking in my manual and the parts diagram appears to show the top rail screws a bit longer and with a pan or cap head, not the tapered flathead - apparently not countersunk..
View Quote

Any of the common manuals are generic in nature, even the armorer's manual shows a common picture without exact specifications aside from parts numbers. In any case, the type of bolt is referred to a hex head or hex cap bolt. The side rail is countersunk for a tapered screw, but the top rail is not. I have a handful of the new torx style that Steyr is using now which replaced the hex type bolt. If anyone is really interested I could take a picture, but they look like the bolts below.

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Good thing screws are fairly cheap and handy to have around - buy a few of each kind in different lengths and use what works and sock the rest away for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one of the parts kits that came out a couple years ago; will this give me a complete rifle or what else is needed?

Thanks maleante.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#17]
And a barrel.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And a barrel.
View Quote

Yes, you’ll need a barrel and either a rail or optic (plus the three corresponding screws to secure it).

You’ll have an extra carrier group. The blem receiver matches the carrier it sells with, so your STG77 carrier is leftovers.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Just picked up a blem receiver and put a 9mm conversion kit on it.I am very happy to have another Aug runs great,as said above if you are on the fence about buying one get it while you can.I do not think we will be seeing any parts from Steyr in a long time.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Hi AUG newb here - will this fit on my AUG/SA stock and trigger pack
Thanks in advance, Happy Holidays to all,  PeterNNH
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes will fit no problem.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks forth reply Stoner 001 and thanks for the heads up Maleante got one on the way, happy holidays
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I want to build an ultralight AUG but I would feel bad cutting up a factory gun too much.

Might have to pick one of these up to do some surgery on.
View Quote
If any of you guys start modifying receivers for weight loss, I would be very interested to see what you come up with.

I run a barrel that was turned down to Colt pencil profile between save for the chamber and gas block mount, and the difference is noticeable.  Another 3-5 ounces would be a welcome reduction.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If any of you guys start modifying receivers for weight loss, I would be very interested to see what you come up with.

I run a barrel that was turned down to Colt pencil profile between save for the chamber and gas block mount, and the difference is noticeable.  Another 3-5 ounces would be a welcome reduction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to build an ultralight AUG but I would feel bad cutting up a factory gun too much.

Might have to pick one of these up to do some surgery on.

Ill post an update soon on my lightweight AUG, so far it is mostly just deleting the VFG and a pencil barrel but like you said that made a significant difference.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#25]
...aaaaaand they're gone
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I picked up one of the last of these, sat on it until the Manticore Arms Talon came back in stock today. I've seen Manticore posting here, so thank you by the way for restocking those!

Stupid question- I kinda like the smooth look without the side rail, do I need filler screws or will it work fine without them?

If I do need/want filler screws, would m6 1.0x8mm ones work?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:56:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Stupid question- I kinda like the smooth look without the side rail, do I need filler screws or will it work fine without them?
If I do need/want filler screws, would m6 1.0x8mm ones work?
View Quote

I removed the side rails. They are mounted with M6 with just a few threads engaged.
I just left the holes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
...aaaaaand they're gone
View Quote

Still looking for one? @rsolomon
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...aaaaaand they're gone

Thanks - maybe idly, but not actively. Looks like someone snagged the one above.  I had a buddy who was actively looking but I think he went another route instead.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#32]
One available.

$1100.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top