Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/28/2020 1:41:11 AM EDT
It would appear that Steyr is cleaning out everything that's been collecting dust. With the STG77 receivers sold, they're moving onto blemished M1 stripped receivers and matching carriers for $850 plus shipping. If you have extra parts this will be a good deal. If you're thinking of this for your first AUG, probably not the best deal once you add everything up... No idea on the extent of the blemishes or any other information beyond what I was told/read at the retailers selling these. I'll be your guinea pig - in for one, I've always needed an AUG truck gun.

ETA: Price was $870 shipped, charged by gun prime with order placed at BPW.

A black Steyr AUG receiver. Requires stock, barrel, charging handle and trigger pack. These are serialized and do require an FFL.
View Quote
For sale at BPW and also for sale at Gun Prime (sites look identical and are probably the same retailer).

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 2:11:54 AM EDT
[#1]
@nmichlig
@faolan
@tech-rat
@TSH77769
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 2:13:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Apex has parts kits.

Apex
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 2:20:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Apex has parts kits.

Apex
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Apex has parts kits.

Apex

The fine print:
These parts have been taken from fully automatic weapons, and no modifications have been made for semi-automatic.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 2:24:00 AM EDT
[#4]
No side rail either. Are the holes even tapped? The factory AUG side rail is the same as the SSG08. Expensive little rails. Too expensive, especially when Midwest Ind. has an mlok side rail for $30.

Or one could fill the holes and refinish.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Charging handles will probably be pricey and/or hard to come by also... looks like half the assembly is present, so I don't know if an aftermarket handle only will work.  Steyr wants $120 now for the complete assembly...
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Maleante...

I HATE YOU
& ALSO
I LOVE YOU

How am I supposed to save up for another machine gun if I keep spending the money on other stuff!?

Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#8]
So honest question is this another spare part in the bin for you guys or are you combining all your parts into another working gun? I don’t think I have even seen a aug receiver for sale.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So honest question is this another spare part in the bin for you guys or are you combining all your parts into another working gun? I don’t think I have even seen a aug receiver for sale.
View Quote

A lot of folks have spare/extra barrels (different lengths) and stocks (different colors), so the bolt carrier is the only one I think of as "unusual" - and even there things like USRs and STG77s ended up supplying parts kits so bolt carriers are around - and this deal includes the whole carrier!  So barrel and stock group (including a hammer pack) and you're basically at another rifle...
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Spoke to Steyr today. Gunprime and BPW ARE the same.

For the post immediately above, I think most people are building up guns form other parts with these.

For example, I have a 9mm conversion kit. With this receiver I would have a full time 9mm gun.

tsh77769
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I would imagine that by the time someone buys all the extra parts to put together a fully functional rifle, they would have been money ahead by just purchasing a complete rifle in the first place.  Plus, with buying a complete rifle, you get a warranty that doesn't come with a frankenrifle aug.

IF someone already had some parts such as an extra stock, barrel, or trigger pack, they might come out OK building a frankenrifle Aug.  But they still wouldn't have a warranty.

Having written the above, I went to a gun broker web site and found a military Aug spare parts kit for $599, so I think all that would be left to find would be a barrel..  And away they go!
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well hell, my 9mm AUG kit was just short a receiver to make it into a full gun, so the rest is spare bits for the AUG supply bin.  
View Quote

Yeah, I confess to having toyed with the idea of changing my "A2" to an "A3"...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 11:44:20 PM EDT
[#15]
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no  no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no  no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

fine..

now I gotta get my buddies extra parts to build another one.

missing the butt plate and rear take down pin.

Link Posted: 7/29/2020 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would imagine that by the time someone buys all the extra parts to put together a fully functional rifle, they would have been money ahead by just purchasing a complete rifle in the first place.  Plus, with buying a complete rifle, you get a warranty that doesn't come with a frankenrifle aug.

IF someone already had some parts such as an extra stock, barrel, or trigger pack, they might come out OK building a frankenrifle Aug.  But they still wouldn't have a warranty.

Having written the above, I went to a gun broker web site and found a military Aug spare parts kit for $599, so I think all that would be left to find would be a barrel..  And away they go!
View Quote

This is not necessarily directed at Genin, but more as a word of advice to avoid frustration on the part of some buyers.

As mentioned earlier, this may not be the best deal for someone buying their first AUG. This enters DEAL territory if you have existing parts or can source used parts, accordingly bringing the total expenditure down.

Conservative estimate on new parts:
$900 transferred for receiver and bcg
$400 stock and hammerpack
$450 barrel
$125 rail
$120 charging handle
--------
Total ~$2,000 (not a price I'd be happy to pay unless we're having impending AWB type legislation).

If you're sitting on parts then you have the ability to piece together an AUG right now for much cheaper than the cost of the lowest priced AUG anywhere. Myself, I'll just use existing parts to build this up and not have to spend anything additional.

Turning to the comment on a warranty, technically Steyr's warranty is only a year or something. The overwhelming majority of AUGs will never need warranty service, and even less of those will need it during the warranty period. Fortunately Steyr is good to deal with and parts, while not visibly available, are available if your gun is out of service... Unofficially, Steyr has always been committed to taking care of their customers - official warranty expired or not.

I wouldn't ever expect a stripped receiver built AR15 to have warranty coverage from the lower receiver maker, and the same should go for the AUG. If a warranty is needed for peace of mind, then this is not a deal for you. Again, these parts make the most sense for existing AUG owners.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no  no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no  no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

fine..

now I gotta get my buddies extra parts to build another one.

missing the butt plate and rear take down pin.

View Quote

Fuuuuuuu... I just shipped you two boxes. Should have said something about the rear pin!
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#18]
damn it......

Got his extra barrel...... it's a 20 inch and his trigger group that he got as an extra from his parts bin as he wanted to do a burst conversion but I told him not to do it and it can't be done with his fleming...

got his extra stock....

hmmmmmmm

What do you want for the parts.....

keep it......it was gathering dust anyways and consider it payment for helping me sell my MG34 despite the commission I gave you...

His MG34 was amazing......finicky but amazing.....

sad seeing it go to a new owner..

new owner is an Intel engineer who drives a corvette.....

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I think this is a really great deal if you have existing parts or are willing for the secondhand market to get back to reality. The receiver does in fact come with the “shuttle” for the A2 (current A3/M1) charging handle. Bolt carrier group is complete and matches the receiver. The serial on the receiver is laser etched not engraved because these are not milled like earlier A3 and M1 guns. It’s a cast receiver, but likely not SWD. The only mark I found was the 19 wheel.

The finish on the serial number side is the blemish and honestly it isn’t as bad as I was expecting. It appears that the casting mould had some issues. The anodizing is fine, but the metal substrate is not nicely smooth as would be expected on a first product. From arms length the imperfections are imperceptible.

I’ll assemble and shoot it next weekend to check function, but I don’t expect anything out of the ordinary.

If you have the means to buy one and have the parts or are willing to wait, then this is a deal to jump on. Overall, and thus far, I’m pleased with the product.

As Sven noted, the manticore charging handles will be perfect for this. There is a solid pin that might be needed though. I’ll grab a picture of the A2 handle assembly with the pin later.

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Why do they keep marking the receivers .223 instead of 5.56? That could lead to confusion for some people
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#21]
This one’s marked 5.56.

I don’t know how they choose to mark which caliber.

The earlier picture of the blem didn’t have any markings yet. I’d guess they just did these...

Maybe their ATF approval only allows.223 because that’s what they originally asked for?
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#22]
@manticore_arms

Do you need the the little spring (490) and detent-like connecting piece (460) with the switchback charging handle? If not, your CH should be the only part needed, yes?

Link Posted: 8/3/2020 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Just wondering if picking one of these up makes sense for the future?  I’ve got a spare barrel and stock (complete with trigger pack and rear pin / plate I think but can’t remember I’d have to dig it out) and eventually really want to get a 9mm kit if / when they become available. Seems like it would be really nice to have a dedicated 9mm. Any foreseeable issues I would have with picking up this receiver bolt bcg combo to do that?  I understand barrel bolt and bcg will be 9mm specific and then I’d basically have those parts as spare for the 556 but I’m ok with that.

And might as well throw this out because it would be a waste of Internet not to. ETA on 9mm kits?
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#24]
@Park-Hit-Run

AUG receivers are very difficult to source and always much more expensive than what this is offered at. I don't know how many of these are left or if they ever plan to sell anything like this again. If you think you might want one, then my suggestion would be to not wait.

9mm kits are sitting in eurolandia. The barrels need to be US made for the kits to be worthwhile. From what I was told, the timeline for 9mm guns was this summer. I had a big vacation planned too, but we all know how this all worked out - it didn't...

Two moar weeks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like there's 19 left. When I bought one week ago the stock count was in the mid 20's.

Moving slowly, but not surprising given the blem status and overall lack of parts right now.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 8:20:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I want to build an ultralight AUG but I would feel bad cutting up a factory gun too much.

Might have to pick one of these up to do some surgery on.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I want to build an ultralight AUG but I would feel bad cutting up a factory gun too much.

View Quote

What do you have in mind besides lightening the barrel?
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Barrel for sure.

Some weight can come out of the receiver and BCG too but I will have to examine it more closely to see where the low hanging fruit is.

If I could get it down to 8 lbs loaded I would be really happy. I'd have to take about 10% off the top compared to my current setup:

Link Posted: 8/5/2020 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Did you turn down the barrel between the chamber and gasblock?
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
All you need is the shuttle that is in the receiver and the steel pin that attaches it (1/8" dia x 3/4" long pin)  The Switchback provides everything else you need.  I mean, when they are in stock, which they aren't at the moment because panic buying is keeping us busier than ever in production.

But yeah, when back in stock they will work.  I am actually using one on my build with the receiver, which just showed up yesterday.

BTW, the receiver comes with the complete serial number matched bolt carrier group and the carrier shuttle.  No trigger pack was included (although I thought in the description it said one would be?  Maybe I misread...)

Receiver dropped right in with no issues, good to go.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875256079

There is one up on GB, although not sure how 165 fits in with today’s market seeming to be all over the place.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Did you turn down the barrel between the chamber and gasblock?
View Quote

Yes. Going to ditch that muzzle device and go with something lighter there also.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd really like a blem stg77 receiver with the integrated optic.
I bought my A3 before they released the stg77
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'd really like a blem stg77 receiver with the integrated optic.
I bought my A3 before they released the stg77
View Quote

The STG77 optic attaches to any A3 M1 receiver including these.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Barrel for sure.

Some weight can come out of the receiver and BCG too but I will have to examine it more closely to see where the low hanging fruit is.

If I could get it down to 8 lbs loaded I would be really happy. I'd have to take about 10% off the top compared to my current setup:

https://i.ibb.co/Bf20TkX/IMG-20200714-094921.jpg
View Quote

did taking that much weight from forward of the pistol grip make it more butt heavy? normally an AUG balances over the grip
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really!?

The stgs always looked lower profile to me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Really!?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really!?

I’m 99% sure that’s because the STG optic housing isn’t a fat pig like the M1 housing is... but @maleante will chime in for sure if I’m wrong!

My dream config involves an STG optic housing with the 3X tube in it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:03:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, this is correct. The M1 railed optic makes it appear different.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

did taking that much weight from forward of the pistol grip make it more butt heavy? normally an AUG balances over the grip
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Barrel for sure.

https://i.ibb.co/Bf20TkX/IMG-20200714-094921.jpg

I'm sure the center of gravity moved but the gun handles better for me with the lighter front end.

The light up front offsets it a bit also.

It has become my primary weapon on my land, it is just so handy in and out of vehicles and in the tight woods. If I could take another pound off it would be even better.

What would be really tits is a 14" pencil barrel 300 blackout barrel. If Steyr doesn't make that soon I'll just have to make one myself I think.

Link Posted: 8/8/2020 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Also, for my uses, I really prefer a 20 round mag in the gun.

That alone is reason enough for the NATO stock for me.

Link Posted: 8/8/2020 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Also, for my uses, I really prefer a 20 round mag in the gun.

That alone is reason enough for the NATO stock for me.

View Quote

I've had good luck with the MSAR 20s in the classic AUG stocks... YMMV of course, since, well, MSAR, but I'm happy with mine.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 3:39:11 AM EDT
[#44]
I just put it together and ran into sort of a problem. The interface between the receiver and rail (only in the part marked with two parallel red lines, just rear of the QD swivel) is too wide to accept a couple 1.5x scope housings I have. Either my housings are on the small side or the receiver is too wide. Luckily all factory rails fit without issue, it’s just the 1.5x scopes. I tried an early non-marked 1.5x railed scope, skinny scope, and a marked 1.5x railed scope.

I was hoping to use the 1.5x railed version but the high rail will have to do. I need an optic (thinking Holoson, but chy-na so maybe MRO. 400 @ DVOR) and I might pull the side rail off an SSG08. SSG08 uses the same side rail and bolts as the AUG...

Everything else seems fine. Should shoot it tomorrow or Saturday... but not expecting anything out of the ordinary.

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 3:50:56 AM EDT
[#45]
900 blem receiver and carrier
400 existing stock and hammerpack
400 existing barrel
100 existing rail
60 existing A2 charging handle assembly
———-
The $high$ end of the AUG M1 price range

The parts were just sitting so I’m ok how it turned out. Still need an optic with the rail so I’m sort of bummed because the railed AUG 1.5x optic wouldn’t fit.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 4:13:24 AM EDT
[#46]
charging handle......

and now needing a rail again...

otherwise....900 total for another AUG.

anal retentive collectors...

thank god for them and thinking USR and puny A2 parts are weak sauce.

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 1:26:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Which rails/scopes fit this receiver?
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 5:18:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Is there any source for the side mount accessory rail?  It looks like the top rail is easily found.  I am planning to get the Manticore Arms charging handle when they become available.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Is there any source for the side mount accessory rail?  It looks like the top rail is easily found.  I am planning to get the Manticore Arms charging handle when they become available.
View Quote

Earlier in the thread maleante pointed out an aftermarket one...not sure about a source for the factory parts, you'd probably have to call Pete at PJS or Steyr directly.

Quoted:
No side rail either. Are the holes even tapped? The factory AUG side rail is the same as the SSG08. Expensive little rails. Too expensive, especially when Midwest Ind. has an mlok side rail for $30.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2020 6:10:29 AM EDT
[#50]
I guess the question should be rephrased as: Is this factory rail available for purchase?  I haven't found it at any price.  Buying an SSG08 just for the side rail would definitely be too expensive.  The referred to rail would only work if you wanted to go MLOK.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top