Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2018 3:56:02 PM EDT
Could you guys help throw some ideas in the pot.

I was thinking a bassett mount with a Primary Arms scope is about the only way that is going to get done.  I might suggest him buying my 3x9 leupy and springy mount.  Cuz I could use the money.

I'd like to hear what you guys what suggest for that budget and range requirement.  Obviously 300 yards don't need much.  But I'm sure he'd like it to shoot as well as he can shoot it.  So I think a 3x9 is still a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Could you guys help throw some ideas in the pot.

I was thinking a bassett mount with a Primary Arms scope is about the only way that is going to get done.  I might suggest him buying my 3x9 leupy and springy mount.  Cuz I could use the money.

I'd like to hear what you guys what suggest for that budget and range requirement.  Obviously 300 yards don't need much.  But I'm sure he'd like it to shoot as well as he can shoot it.  So I think a 3x9 is still a good idea.
View Quote
Check for the older 1-6 Strike Eagles or their equivalent on the EE
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Used PSA 5x and one of those mounts that mounts off the stripper clip guide?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought a lot of my Primary Arms 1-6 ACSS, and the Gen 3s look pretty good.

You can’t go wrong with a Bassett Mount, just get one as low as possible.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Scoping the M14/M1A the Easy Way: Bassett & Bradley...

This video explains the appeal of Bassett’s mounts very well.

Forget Springfield’s mounts, as they sit really high.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Spend a little more on the scope and get a bombproof SWFA.

Bassett mounts rock.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Used Super Sniper or a Vortex PST second focal plane 1st gen.

Personally I'd save a bit and get a FFP gen 1 PST.

2.5-10.

Bassett Pictinney M14 mount for the win.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I recently picked up a Springfield Loaded a couple of months ago.  I'm wanting a scope mount and am really interested in the Bassett mount.  I see they come in low and high.

What's the advantage of one over the other?  I know I'll need a cheek rest so is there a preference or is it just what the individual likes?
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recently picked up a Springfield Loaded a couple of months ago.  I'm wanting a scope mount and am really interested in the Bassett mount.  I see they come in low and high.

What's the advantage of one over the other?  I know I'll need a cheek rest so is there a preference or is it just what the individual likes?
View Quote
The tall mount is for a big objective end to clear the rifle. I like to mount an optic as low as possible, but, for example, a scope with a 56mm objective needs lots of height.

A cheek piece is a given, but the video I posted gives good info on what works best.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The tall mount is for a big objective end to clear the rifle. I like to mount an optic as low as possible, but, for example, a scope with a 56mm objective needs lots of height.

A cheek piece is a given, but the video I posted gives good info on what works best.
View Quote
Sounds good.  My scopes are 40mm and 44mm.  I wanted it as low as possible.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Avoid the Springfield mount.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#11]
FWIW on my Spring  Scout  I use a Basset low mount and VXR patrol 3x9. Basset is the cats arse. The only better option for scoping an M1A, imo, would be a forged receiver with integral mount- but spendy.   The VXR works beyond well. But if I did it over I go with a larger objective scope, but thats just my preference.  Dont forget to have him pick up  Bradley cheek rest.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Just went down this road with a guy who's dominant eye has some issues that make using irons tough.

ARMS 18-used
Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40-new
Warne 201LM QD rings-new but open box

He's into the above for about $340 delivered.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Be warned, getting that clip guide out of the receiver can be a stone pain in the neck.  Mine took heat and a big damn hammer.  Yes, I was trying to push it the correct way.

Ka
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Be warned, getting that clip guide out of the receiver can be a stone pain in the neck.  Mine took heat and a big damn hammer.  Yes, I was trying to push it the correct way.

Ka
View Quote
I had no trouble with mine.

Just make sure to drive out the pin first.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Why would one choose the Bassett mount over the ARMS mount, with the additional mounting point?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#16]
There's no doubt that 2 mounting points would in effect be more solid than one  However.  If you look at the mounts in Vietnam, they only used the side mounting point.  In fact, that's how it was designed.  From what I understand.

A second mounting point COULD pose some problems as they say sometimes there are slight variations in dimensions with receivers and if it's off a little, the mount could be not aligned properly or in line with the bore.

My own experience is with the Gen IV springfield mount.  In that when I utilized the second mount, it seemed to give me a wandering zero.  But that, IMHO, was indicative of that particular mount.  If you see how it is designed there is a screw that needs to be tightened down.  And for me that second point always seemed to be loosening up.  I ditched that second point and only use the side mounting position and I always got good results.  The wandering zero went away and that gun could put up some good groups.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top