Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/12/2021 10:17:08 AM EDT
https://steeleindustries.com/product/b-e-meyers-kiji-ir-illuminator/

Does anyone have any other info on this?
Seems like it would have similar performance to the MAWL illuminators, looks like you can pick between long/mid and mid/short (with the secondary function being achieved with the flip-cap diffuser).

Interesting looking product. I tried to do something similar with the Arisaka EX IR light and a flip cap diffuser, but with how much foliage we have at my night shooting range, it just wouldn’t illuminate nearly as far as the MAWL.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Tnvc just posted an announcement in the industry forum
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#2]
TNVC and Silent Solutions on Instagram have a couple of posts up about it too. I’m VERY interested.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ll be ordering as soon as they go up.  Great loooking product.  There are some comparison pics vs the mawl on FB.

For my cnvd lr guns, this will be perfect.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice, after reading more, i am really stoked for this product. I have a MAWL so I don’t necessarily see a need or a gap for this to fill, but my takeaway is that if i ever need to sell the MAWL for other projects, i can get this and not lose that fantastic long-range illumination (with some size and weight savings to boot)
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#6]
How long is the operation on one battery?
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The way I am seeing this being used is essentially IR illumination for passive aiming.

Cool product. Personally, don’t feel like this is marketed to civi’s like me. I do train aiming passively but really only shoot stuff with an IR laser.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I heard there was going to be a live event on IG by TNVC at 8p est.  See yall there.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The way I am seeing this being used is essentially IR illumination for passive aiming.

Cool product. Personally, don’t feel like this is marketed to civi’s like me. I do train aiming passively but really only shoot stuff with an IR laser.
View Quote

Yes it is IR illumination only, but you can pair it with a laser only (like the Tor mini) and have the best of both worlds at a much lower price point than the MAWL.   Since it is supposed to be compatible with Surefire switches and mounts, it looks like a really awesome product.  I’m excited to try it out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m thinking this is going to replace my Dbal A3 UHP for long range stuff. Looks like it’s going to be awesome, will update when I receive mine.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if these are constant on with a double tap. One of these and a CQBL would be a pretty nice setup for the money.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#15]
What the power output reprogramming look like? Is it a whole  "super Mario cheat code" button press combination or something that can be done somewhat on the fly?
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Really want to see some FPV video of this thing.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#19]
New to NV… but I’m confused to what this offers. An excellent IR illuminator for helmet mounts?

As this doesn’t have an IR laser like the mawl… what benefit does it offer to shooting? I get the illumination for passive aiming… but if you’re already using your IR illuminator, aren’t you already giving up your covert passive status and should be activating IR laser too?
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/468022/17A21352-D0D9-43CE-ADED-2F1318D0C2E0-2164293.jpg

KIJI K1-10 on Sig MCX Rattler in 300BLK.

The 10 degree illuminator and 40 degree diffuser should be very effective for the ranges that the Rattler will be used at, especially for passive aiming with the tall mounted EOTech, with the TOR-MINI IR VPC (v)2 providing a back-up IR aiming laser capability, while a Surefire M300C with Hot Button provides white light capabilities.

Nice, small, compact, and very very capable package.

~Augee
View Quote

Sure release the package deal right after I get a tor

I've been looking over the #s of the 2 different types and I'm gonna need to borrow your brain. I was looking at a Surefire x300v. We have X400irc on pistols and they're great for seeing through the brush when most illuminators glare off of it. Which one would mimic the Surefire on the low setting but have more throw a fancy tap away. Also if I was using a st07 pressure switch my understanding is there would be no constant on but would I be able to cycle through the power settings with the right combo of taps?
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
New to NV… but I’m confused to what this offers. An excellent IR illuminator for helmet mounts?

As this doesn’t have an IR laser like the mawl… what benefit does it offer to shooting? I get the illumination for passive aiming… but if you’re already using your IR illuminator, aren’t you already giving up your covert passive status and should be activating IR laser too?
View Quote

There are a couple of switch systems that will let you activate this IR illuminator and a laser simultaneously. So $1300 vs $2300 MAWL or $1500 D2.

KIJI $650
Steiner OTAL C IR- $500
TAPS SYNC- $150

Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Where does this fall in, starting with a SF 1-cell Vampire, 2-cell Vampire, Malkoff 250, Malkoff 700?
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
New to NV but I'm confused to what this offers. An excellent IR illuminator for helmet mounts?

As this doesn't have an IR laser like the mawl what benefit does it offer to shooting? I get the illumination for passive aiming but if you're already using your IR illuminator, aren't you already giving up your covert passive status and should be activating IR laser too?
View Quote
this isn't going to be for everyone, but it does answer a gap in the current market - which is a durable laser-based illuminator that is civilian legal and powerful enough to reach out while not being gray market, and also [relatively] cheap - also modular and working with existing accessories.

Civilian IR aiming lasers are easily sourced, and honestly the civilian power level is fine. If you want a good illuminator though, that disqualifies all the ATPIAL-C/DBAL A3/i2, etc.

You can go with Dbal D2 or the new CTF1, or Arisaka/Modlite IR heads but they are LED (and all but the D2 have some performance quirks).

PERST3 is Russian and probably violates ITAR to send it back for service.

MAWL is good but also $3000.

What this offers is better than MAWL C+ long range laser illuminator performance, with a mid/close range setting (diffusor cap), in a small compact Scout light format that works with existing mounts and switches at 1/5th the price of the MAWL. For those who want that kind of performance, it will likely be an easy choice to go with this KIJI+separate IR laser for that price point.

If you're using a clip on night vision device, this will be awesome.

I haven't seen anyone post Nick's video yet. He compares them to a MAWL.

Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
this isn't going to be for everyone, but it does answer a gap in the current market - which is a durable laser-based illuminator that is civilian legal and powerful enough to reach out while not being gray market, and also [relatively] cheap - also modular and working with existing accessories.

Civilian IR aiming lasers are easily sourced, and honestly the civilian power level is fine. If you want a good illuminator though, that disqualifies all the ATPIAL-C/DBAL A3/i2, etc.

You can go with Dbal D2 or the new CTF1, or Arisaka/Modlite IR heads but they are LED (and all but the D2 have some performance quirks).

What this offers is better than MAWL C+ long range laser illuminator performance, with a mid/close range setting (diffusor cap), in a small compact Scout light format that works with existing mounts and switches at 1/5th the price of the MAWL. For those who want that kind of performance, it will likely be an easy choice to go with this KIJI+separate IR laser for that price point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aKr8vJKBKc
View Quote

I'm too distracted that he said he has an X1 reprogrammed to a C1+
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#27]
OK to answer my own question, it would appear this is a next level unit to the ones I posted.  So good for long rifles and clip-ons, got it.  

How would the Steiner Mini-Tor/KIJI package compare to say a LS117IR and Vampire 2-cell?  Also the next step up?  Would Steiner consider putting a plug port on the Tor?
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I too got a notification from Steele indust on this.

Smaller than the Z-Bolt, but twice the price. Very nice none the less.

We now need a matching LEP white light version same size and the battle between "Z-Bolt" and "Meyers" aux illuminators  can begin.

Steiner CQBL-1 or Holosun LE221 set ups will be complete now having two vendors producing acceptable long throw adj IR illuminators.

I'm sure others aren't far behind.  S.H.O.T. should be interesting this year.

Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aKr8vJKBKc
View Quote

Damnit. I think you sold me one. This place always costs me money.

Link Posted: 11/12/2021 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Uh just seeing if that was a fucking joke or if I could post past it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I've never used a Mepro MOR, with the integrated slaved aiming lasers, but this would be a pretty neat combo with that. I just wish there was a way to fire the aiming laser and VCSEL illuminator at the same time.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OK to answer my own question, it would appear this is a next level unit to the ones I posted.  So good for long rifles and clip-ons, got it.  

How would the Steiner Mini-Tor/KIJI package compare to say a LS117IR and Vampire 2-cell?  Also the next step up?  Would Steiner consider putting a plug port on the Tor?
View Quote

The size, price point, and intended use of TOR, as well as the existence of the OTAL-C are all reasons for Steiner to not consider adding a plug port to the TOR

My biggest fear of the KIJI is washing out of any civilian laser paired with it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Augee covered the port on the Tori recently. As I recall he said designing it with a port would have knocked them out of the price point they were looking to come in at, and adding in a port would require a redesign as it is not easily done.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you check out the link in op there's 2 types. One is 3° with a 10° diffuser and the other is 10° with a 40° diffuser. The 3° has a max output of 150mw and the 10° is max 350mw. Hopefully we'll get more info on how this effects throw. I'm assuming the one with the narrower beam has more throw even though it's technically lower powered. If I was to guess I'd say the 10° is like a vampire on steroids and the 3° is more for the longer range stuff.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah OK I remember that, so OK an OTAL would fit the bill here nicely.  Funny last week I was asking about lower price points for "blue collar" LAMS, and here we are.  This is a legit offering to lower the price-point and compete with foreign imports.  Wished someone would have said that last week.  IF the plug port on the OTAL gets un-fucked, where there are no issues with a SF or TAPS switch, then this would be a nice combo with this new illum.  Props to TNVC and Steiner for that.  It's not like I got stock (or in-laws) in Chinese, but right now the 117IR is what works for me.  Paired with a Vampire and a TAPS, I'm where I need to be.  But this would be a significant upgrade, if both the OTAL and this new illum work out.

You know actually, I could see using either version; the close up "CQB" one for supplementing the worthless illum on the ATPIAL-equipped rifles, and the long throw for to supplement the IR pointer only units on my longer rifles.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you check out the link in op there's 2 types. One is 3° with a 10° diffuser and the other is 10° with a 40° diffuser. The 3° has a max output of 150mw and the 10° is max 350mw. Hopefully we'll get more info on how this effects throw. I'm assuming the one with the narrower beam has more throw even though it's technically lower powered. If I was to guess I'd say the 10° is like a vampire on steroids and the 3° is more for the longer range stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scroll back up to the YouTube video, the differences are shown.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I watched the video but he's pretty dismissive of the 10° and doesn't shine it at anything far away. Maybe it wasn't worth doing but I'm curious what the range would be. I'm thinking the 3° would be the way to go since it looks like it can be dimmed enough to reduce glare at close range.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I watched the video but he's pretty dismissive of the 10° and doesn't shine it at anything far away. Maybe it wasn't worth doing but I'm curious what the range would be. I'm thinking the 3° would be the way to go since it looks like it can be dimmed enough to reduce glare at close range.
View Quote

And you can flip down the diffuser
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#40]
After watching the entire video looks like the 3 degree would be the preferred model for weapon mounting and the 10 degree model would be preferred for a helmet and / or CQB environments
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/468022/17A21352-D0D9-43CE-ADED-2F1318D0C2E0-2164293.jpg

KIJI K1-10 on Sig MCX Rattler in 300BLK.

The 10 degree illuminator and 40 degree diffuser should be very effective for the ranges that the Rattler will be used at, especially for passive aiming with the tall mounted EOTech, with the TOR-MINI IR VPC (v)2 providing a back-up IR aiming laser capability, while a Surefire M300C with Hot Button provides white light capabilities.

Nice, small, compact, and very very capable package.

~Augee
View Quote

God that thing is is going to be heavy for its size.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

And you can flip down the diffuser
View Quote

I watched the video

He just didn't spend much time on the 10°. He lives in a desert so I understand why he wouldn't. I live in a swamp so I would have liked to see more on it. Either way I think the 3° is the way to go. I have other lights for the up close stuff. This seems like a much better option than the Steiner spir which I was considering since I don't want an eye burner.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

10deg model, we're seeing 140-150 yards.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Passive aiming is producing no artificial lights/lasers as an aiming mechanism.

Once you light off an illuminator, you're no longer passive.

The 3 is used for longer range illumination for long guns. The 10, I would use it head mounted and for area work and umbrella lighting.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There are a couple of switch systems that will let you activate this IR illuminator and a laser simultaneously. So $1300 vs $2300 MAWL or $1500 D2.

KIJI $650
Steiner OTAL C IR- $500
TAPS SYNC- $150

View Quote

I would still pick the D2 or mawl over the dedicated ir light, or laser, and switch.

You are still lacking a dedicated white light and as someone who's been there and done that with IR lasers and two separate lights, it's money ahead to not try and save a few bucks and just do it right.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#48]
If I went CNVD instead of Thermal, I'd get that 3 Degree, 150mW unit all day long. It's a modern, over double the power, ELIR-3 beater. Twice the cost looks worth it, in this case. And "Diffused", it looks good for a Carbine. Is it zeroable? Did I read that it *also* has a Designator/Pointer on it?

The 10 Degree; $700 for a Handheld, or Helmet Light.....eh, that's not me, but it sounds like other people are digging it for that.

What *someone* should do - is make quick install mounts for it, that allow you to pop it off your long gun, and pop it on your helmet - Picatinny, ARC, and MLOK - buy the ones you need. Wax on, wax off.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#49]
This will work really well on my dedicated LR rifle with 6x D790. The fact that it works with 3V Surefire E series/Scout light bodies and tail caps pushed me over the edge and I ordered one.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What *someone* should do - is make quick install mounts for it, that allow you to pop it off your long gun, and pop it on your helmet - Picatinny, ARC, and MLOK - buy the ones you need. Wax on, wax off.
View Quote
There are plenty of qd scout light mounts on the market.

Just one more reason this is awesome.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top