Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2018 1:49:05 PM EDT
Hello everyone

I'm looking on upgrading my body armor and load bearing system. Currently I'm running an old vest from the army and an ALCE like system.
Since I cant really use my war belt with my current vest (the vest is to long), I'm looking into buying a new body armor with PALS webbing.

My requirement:
- Vest with BALCS/SPEAR soft armor and plates capability (preferably with side plates option).
- PALS webbing (obviously).
- Color should be Green (don't care if ranger or OD green or whatever).
- Quick release

I found out the BAE Systems RBAV-AF would be perfect for me (I like the added kangaroo pouch and integrated CamelBak). Since the AF version is impossible to get, I moved on to the SF version. There are some left on the market, but since I would like to have a plan B, I'm asking you guys if there is a similar plate carrier/vest on the market (or an even better one)?

What I already found out:
The Eagle Industries CIRAS seems to be outdated and heavier/bulkier then the RBAV.
The Condor Enforcer has the problem that the BALCS/SPEAR soft armor dosen't really fit and the vest is (what I've read) not that comfortable.
The Velocity Systems OAV Operators Assault Vest doesn't have the quick release.
The Paraclete Releasable Modular Vest - 2007 Model isn't available anymore.

So as you can see, I did some research on the toppic, but now I need help

PS: I need it for SHTF and training with my buddies. In the long run I might be allowed to use it on duty as well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello everyone

I'm looking on upgrading my body armor and load bearing system. Currently I'm running an old vest from the army and an ALCE like system.
Since I cant really use my war belt with my current vest (the vest is to long), I'm looking into buying a new body armor with PALS webbing.

My requirement:
- Vest with BALCS/SPEAR soft armor and plates capability (preferably with side plates option).
- PALS webbing (obviously).
- Color should be Green (don't care if ranger or OD green or whatever).
- Quick release

I found out the BAE Systems RBAV-AF would be perfect for me (I like the added kangaroo pouch and integrated CamelBak). Since the AF version is impossible to get, I moved on to the SF version. There are some left on the market, but since I would like to have a plan B, I'm asking you guys if there is a similar plate carrier/vest on the market (or an even better one)?

What I already found out:
The Eagle Industries CIRAS seems to be outdated and heavier/bulkier then the RBAV.
The Condor Enforcer has the problem that the BALCS/SPEAR soft armor dosen't really fit and the vest is (what I've read) not that comfortable.
The Velocity Systems OAV Operators Assault Vest doesn't have the quick release.
The Paraclete Releasable Modular Vest - 2007 Model isn't available anymore.

So as you can see, I did some research on the toppic, but now I need help

PS: I need it for SHTF and training with my buddies. In the long run I might be allowed to use it on duty as well.
View Quote
I highly recommend First Spear, they have a substantial selection of excellent designs with the features you need.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have to have BALCS I like the first spear siege-R.
But the real question is, do you have to have BALCS? There are more modern concealment cut soft armor patterns that offer lots of coverage and better mobility.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for your replies.

The first spear seems to be a great vest. But to be honest it's a bit pricy. I will have to think about this one a bit (if I'm really ready to spend so much money). To be clear, I don't want some airsoft ToysRus gear and quality comes and a price, but the first spear is the top of the line and I'm not using it on a daily basis.

I already have BALCS. But if there is something better out there, I might consider switching the soft armor as well. What I like about the BALCS is the great amount of coverage it offers.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Holy sleeper account, Batman! 11 years!
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I went from RBAV-SF, to First Spear Siege, to Siege-R.  I never wear the thing anymore, at all; it collects dust in the corner or my gear room.  If you can get away with plate carrier do that, and never look back.  Currently running a First Spear STT, might switch to a AAC for the internal radio and side plate pouches on the cummerbund.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#6]
As I already mentioned, I like the added cover from BALCS type soft armor in comparison to a "simple" plate carrier.
The AAC from first spear seems to be a great plate carrier, but I'm looking for a bit more armor. Especially since if I'm able to wear it on duty, my role is more of a static checkpoint control one and moving with vehicles and in a SHTF scenario, I'm also liking the idea of a bit more coverage. But thanks for the recommendation.

I have a different question now as well. I asked defense-acquisitions if they would ship the RBAV-SF vest to Europe and they answered since the regulations of eBay on ITAR, they will not be able to ship the vest to me (shipment only inside the US). Now they made it sound like this is more of a problem with eBay, rather than ITAR itself ad I don't get how a simple vest (without the ballistics) would fall under ITAR, especially since there are other vendors (outside the US) that sell the RBAV as well.
Does anyone know if the vest falls under ITAR on any circumstance and is there a legal way to get the vest shipped out of the US?
I'm also confused since even the smallest MOLLE pouches fall under ITAR on eBay, even if they are available in the store next doors here in my country (and everywhere as well).

PS: Yes, I know if registered in this forum a long time ago. But most of the times I'm more of a reader and not a writer.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like my RBAV-AF, not sure how much different is than the SF version.

Plate carrier are all the rage and if I had to hike in desert heat up the side of a mountain, jump of a plane or potential swim I would wear one too.

But im a civilian. My biggest worry is the burglar in the middle of the night, who if armed is likely carrying a handgun so give me as much soft armor as possible as long as I can put it in in a hurry which I can with the RBAV. Mobility is not an issue as the couple extra pounds soft armor adds (if even that much) will have no impact on me as I hide behind my bedroom mattress. And if we are talking SHTF I will be bugging in. I'm middle age with a wife and kids, I'm not about to go mad max when trouble comes knocking, beside those are the first ones to die, with or without body armor.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#8]
ITAR covers stuff made in the US leaving the country. I have Euro made gear that can be shipped all over. If you want something lighter than BALCS but still full coverage look at the Velocity LPAC and LPAAC. These are really good options for lots of soft coverage.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely check them out. The soft armor is important to me.

Like Spartikis I won't have to run miles and miles with my armor (also no fast rope and such things), so I rather have a bit more soft armor.

The RBAV seems to fall out completely since I only found one in size large and this one will not be shipped out of the US because of the stupid ITAR.

Guess I'm back on the drawing board for a good releasable plate carrier with BALCS cut soft armor. But I will check out the Velocity ones.

If anyone else has a good alternative to the RBAV, I'm open for suggestions.

What I don't get about the ITAR is the fact that it's basically every military gear produced in the US, no matter how simple the gear is (eg Molle Pouches). I can understand that the Government restricts the export of sensitive material like newer night vision, drones and other electronic or weapons equipment. But things that are available in every other country (eg molle pouches, tactical vests, surefire flashlights), why restrict the export of those?
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 4:38:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Just as an update, I managed to get my hands on an unused MSA Paraclete RMV in green. So exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you guys for your replies, ideas and recommendations.

PS: The seller was in Europe as well, so no problems with ITAR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top