Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2018 1:10:13 PM EDT
Does anyone have any info or pics of this? I recently decided to gear my collection towards my heritage, which is mostly British and Irish. Since I can't reasonably do an L85 (and let's be real, it's a POS anyway) I figured I'd go Irish and spec out an AUG.

I know they originally used was essentially a STG77, but the mod 14 specs seem to be elusive. That or my Google fu is weak. Which could also be the case.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can provide!
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You might want to ask pj from pj’s AUGs. Or you could FB message Larry Vickers, he might know.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]
"Steyr AUG Mod 14: Irish Army upgrade for AUG A1, A1 housing group replaced with A3 housing fitted with ACOG 4x sight."

I couldn't find much more than that offhand.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll upload some pics I have but essentially, the Irish Mod 14 is upgraded from a AUG A1.

Uses, A1 stock and charging handle,  green.
A3 receiver w/ long/high military rail.
Dual illuminated ACOG, 4x
16in barrels for some mounted troopers. Many 20 inch rifles w/ bayonet lugs. barrel nuts/muzzle devices are closed, A1.

The Irish do a ton of peacekeeping missions, have for decades. Hence a lot of blue helmets. :D

Link Posted: 2/7/2018 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Not the Mod 14.

But Irish special forces, the Army Ranger Wing for a time used/evaluated  what we call the A3 CQC. It was deployed once at least, to Chad (African country) back in 2010. The ARW uses the HK 416 as standard. It had the Steyr A3 optic.

Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Great pics! Love pics of AUGs in the wild.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice! Thanks for the help!

Now here is the next question, best approach to clone it? Buy an A3 and swap the stock?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Now here is the next question, best approach to clone it? Buy an A3 and swap the stock?
View Quote
Pretty much. You'll need to find a long/high military rail version of the A3. I don't have hard numbers. But of all the A3's that were made, lets say 3200 (I forget the actual number but it's something like this). I'd guess only a few hundred had the long/high military rail. Most had the commercial, skinny rail made for AR type mounts (for a supposed proper cheekweld) and some of the commercial had the QD sockets (Vltor receivers). The receiver/gun you're looking for will be all Sabre Defense.  Of course you could by a commercial version receiver/gun and then put on a military rail ,if you find one.

Then you'll need to swap out the A3 charging handle for the older, green version. And use/find an older, A1 stock. Those would be on older pre-ban (and anniversary guns) A1's. Or Pete Athens may have them. You'll want the green buttstock, green trigger, green barrel removal button.

I could have sworn I saw it somewhere. But I can't say for certain whether the barrels the Irish use are 1/7 or 1/9 twist. But I'd be willing to bet they're 1/9. Which is generally the standard. Eventhough 1/7 is favored these days. And of course, you can do either a carbine or rifle, 20 inch barrel by whatever floats your fancy.

Pete may have all the stock components you need. The hardest thing to find is probably gonna be the receiver.

=======================
It's funny you bring this up. Because I've thought of doing the exact same thing you are, just for fun. The AR cloners seem to like to do it. But I too like to gear some of my gun collection to my heritage as well.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pretty much. You'll need to find a long/high military rail version of the A3. I don't have hard numbers. But of all the A3's that were made, lets say 3200 (I forget the actual number but it's something like this). I'd guess only a few hundred had the long/high military rail. Most had the commercial, skinny rail made for AR type mounts (for a supposed proper cheekweld) and some of the commercial had the QD sockets (Vltor receivers). The receiver/gun you're looking for will be all Sabre Defense.  Of course you could by a commercial version receiver/gun and then put on a military rail ,if you find one.

Then you'll need to swap out the A3 charging handle for the older, green version. And use/find an older, A1 stock. Those would be on older pre-ban (and anniversary guns) A1's. Or Pete Athens may have them. You'll want the green buttstock, green trigger, green barrel removal button.

I could have sworn I saw it somewhere. But I can't say for certain whether the barrels the Irish use are 1/7 or 1/9 twist. But I'd be willing to bet they're 1/9. Which is generally the standard. Eventhough 1/7 is favored these days. And of course, you can do either a carbine or rifle, 20 inch barrel by whatever floats your fancy.

Pete may have all the stock components you need. The hardest thing to find is probably gonna be the receiver.

=======================
It's funny you bring this up. Because I've thought of doing the exact same thing you are, just for fun. The AR cloners seem to like to do it. But I too like to gear some of my gun collection to my heritage as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

=======================
Good luck finding an actual Austrian "High" rail. Been looking for a long long time since Pete sold out.

I wanted one for the actual A3 optic originally, but the standard height rail that came on the older A3s was a perfect height for an acog anyways.

Unfortunately is was also the perfect height to chew up your knuckles if you come too close while using the charging handle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top