Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2020 10:43:15 PM EDT
I ordered a brand new white aug a3m1 and it arrived all scratched up. Black marks kind of all over. There will be few chances to pick up another before Jan 20, I am being offered two options: return, or they might take off some money.

Some of the scratches are deep, others probably will come off.

How much should I expect/ask them to reduce the price? I’ve ever really been in this situation, and I feel like if I am paying FULL price (2k) I should at least get a new gun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Man, I am sorry to hear.  That is disappointing.  And to add to that the white AUGs are especially unique and real hard to find.

What option you choose to pursue (some money back or return) all depends on you, honestly.  If you can live with the scratches I'd pursue just trying to get some money back for it.  The white AUGs are especially hard to find and you may have trouble finding another before January 20.  I am assuming you already asked about a replacement in case the seller has more white AUGs?

I don't mind scratches or dings on my semi-autos.  If one came from the factory with some I just figure it'll get them anyways later on so I don't really care, but that is me.  This is harder because the AUG you have is an especially hard to find one so if you return it you may have a tough time getting another one without overpaying.

As for the price I'd ask for $200 back.  I think that is fair.

Maleante is the resident AUG expert here, though, and I am sure he will chime in with some good advice shortly.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Try using a "Magic Eraser" on the scratches. It'll work wonders on the fine black marks. Then you can reassess the situation if it still looks really bad.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#3]
As another poster said, a lot depends on you.  However...it also depends on the seller and how the listing was worded and the pictures that were provided (if any).  If it stated that it was used and/or the pics showed some wear, I'm not sure how much the seller is going to be willing to work with you provided he presented the item an in up front and honest way...perceptions and all.

That said, having sold quite a few firearms here and elsewhere, I tend to do whatever I can to ensure that the transaction is a win-win for all parties.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:45:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Pictures? If it’s just a stock I wouldn’t worry about it. Stocks are plentiful in non-nutty times and it’s easily replaceable. A new white stock might run 400 with resale value on a used white stock 250 on the low end. ~$150 refunded might be reasonable???
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:48:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try using a "Magic Eraser" on the scratches. It'll work wonders on the fine black marks. Then you can reassess the situation if it still looks really bad.
View Quote

Great advice here. The magic eraser works wonders white stocks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If it is a brand new in box gun, that is something to contact Steyr USA about as a warranty issue.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

This.

Take pics before clean-up;

Post these pics here;

Ask for $200 off;

Use the $200 toward another stock in less crazy times ( as said above) ;

Enjoy Rifle.

Link Posted: 12/19/2020 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.

The gun was brand new.

I have yet to take possession due to the latest background check bs. I will post pictures as soon as I have it in my possession

I’ll try the magic eraser as well. There’s a chance it’s better than it looks due to the white color.

I will be keeping it due to Jan 20. I had planned to cerakote a vortex razor, larue mount, Corvus parts, then mount to the wall... but it may end up just something I use.

I’ll make sure I contact steyr as soon as it’s in my possession as well. They aren’t far from me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Ask for $200, be happy with Maleante's $150 if that's all they go for.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#10]
They offered 100$ and told me it was actually a floor model but they sold it as new and didn’t mention. I can’t say I’m surprised. If I don’t take it, they are just going to turn around and sell it to the next person for the full price with a disclosure. People are asking up to double the price on many guns these days.. almost everything instantly walks out the door.

Before accepting their offer, I’m going to take the gun down and check it all out. Are any accessories supposed to come with the aug? I didn’t get any. Not even a manual
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#11]
New guns come with a generic manual, warranty card, and one 30rd black base magazine.

Call Steyr and ask for a manual and warranty card if you decide to keep it.

Post up some pictures and we can give you honest input on the damage.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#12]
$100 might be low, but if they won’t budge then ask them for $100 and two free transfers.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They offered 100$ and told me it was actually a floor model but they sold it as new and didn’t mention. I can’t say I’m surprised. If I don’t take it, they are just going to turn around and sell it to the next person for the full price with a disclosure. People are asking up to double the price on many guns these days.. almost everything instantly walks out the door.

Before accepting their offer, I’m going to take the gun down and check it all out. Are any accessories supposed to come with the aug? I didn’t get any. Not even a manual
View Quote

Honestly that's pretty shitty that they list a gun as "factory new" and send you a beat up floor model and don't mention a thing about it.  I'm pretty lenient when it comes to how things are described in ads, too, but that is just dishonest in my opinion.

As for accessories, and now my other issue with this, the AUG comes with an extra magazine (which I sure as hell hope was included?) and the owner's manual.  That is it, so not much obviously.  But still, not even the owner's manual?  I'd try pushing for $200 back and say they didn't tell you it was a floor model which is dishonest on their part, and also just say it didn't come with everything in the box that a "factory new" gun is supposed to come with (even though it's just a manual).
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with everyone saying you should stand your ground.  If they don't budge, then nuke them with public shaming.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#15]
How does a display model get so scratched?  Do several customers drop it daily or gouge it against something black?  

Maybe they were demoing it on a some kind of tactical live fire course.  Is it chewed up behind the ejection port from being fired?  Is there a lot of carbon on the piston?
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How does a display model get so scratched?  Do several customers drop it daily or gouge it against something black?  

Maybe they were demoing it on a some kind of tactical live fire course.  Is it chewed up behind the ejection port from being fired?  Is there a lot of carbon on the piston?
View Quote

Who lets something that lists for a couple grand get that beat up?  This isn't a Hi-point....
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Excellent points here.

OP, let's see some pictures. If you'd like, IM me and I walk you through what to look for on the phone.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know of one particular gun store that removes all the rifles from the display area each night to a more secure locked area in the store. When they do, they carry several rifles in a bundle at a time. All of their stuff is new, but it's also scratched up. Just the way they operate.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok so I finally have it in my possession. I disassembled it, went to town on it with cooktop cleaner and got most everything off. No issues on the inside

There were only like 4 bad scratches that needed a lot of work, the rest was I guess people’s grimy hands all over it. It had 4 dings in it from being shot (factory?). Some of it is hard to show in pics, it just didn’t look white.

Anyway, I spent today installing the 2020 sear, the Corvus deflector, anti rotation qd rear sling mount, temporary light, optic, sling, and shot it a bit.

How do you post pictures?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#21]
The easiest way to post pictures is to create an imgur account and paste the link into the image box.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 5:25:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Postimages.org is free
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Postimages.org is free
View Quote

It's also a much cleaner and user friendly interface, not to mention has superior image sharing (link generators for everything from embedding to thumbnails) to most sites out there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#24]
ok finally figured this out. Corvus charging handle is inbound from Styer, im hoping to top it off with a vortex 1-10 cerakote black,,, but i dont know where to start on getting it coated.

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks good to me, is this before or after you used the eraser ? If you need help on the Corvus charging handle let me know. The little spring was a pain, but it’s on now
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#26]
The bottom two are after. The only thing I couldn’t get off is on the forward grip
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Honestly that's pretty shitty that they list a gun as "factory new" and send you a beat up floor model and don't mention a thing about it.  I'm pretty lenient when it comes to how things are described in ads, too, but that is just dishonest in my opinion.

As for accessories, and now my other issue with this, the AUG comes with an extra magazine (which I sure as hell hope was included?) and the owner's manual.  That is it, so not much obviously.  But still, not even the owner's manual?  I'd try pushing for $200 back and say they didn't tell you it was a floor model which is dishonest on their part, and also just say it didn't come with everything in the box that a "factory new" gun is supposed to come with (even though it's just a manual).
View Quote

Not only shitty - it's illegal.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#28]
What you received is not as advertised ,new in box . If you want the rifle bad enough , and don't think you can find another take the $100.00 and live with it . I would not want to do biz with a company that lied about the condition ,and shipped a damaged floor sample as new in the box. No matter what I would let Steyr know how they miss represent their product . In the end if you use it ,it will become cosmetically imperfect anyway ,but that's not the point here. Very clearly misrepresented by them to get the most money for what they knew was a damaged weapon . Only you can decide to let them get away with it or not . They know its hard to find another and tried to pull a fast one  you , because they know they will sell it to someone anyway to someone . $ 100.00 isn't much , but may be your only option .
Must be rare , never knew they even made one in white.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#29]
regardless of what you decide, if you take it to the range a lot it's going to be very tough  to keep it pristine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top