Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2019 1:55:16 AM EDT
What Options to increase the rail space of an AUG?
And what parts for spare ?
And where does everyone go for their parts?

My AUG is an AXR
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:11:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you have any options for increasing rail space on your TPD, if I remember right, the receiver is based on the A2 receiver and extra rails and such have long been out of circulation.

For parts, Steyr sells a spare parts kit, but if you have questions and want to order the parts, Pete Athens is your guy: http://www.pjs-steyraug.com

He might be able to help you find some replacement rail that might work for you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think you have any options for increasing rail space on your TPD, if I remember right, the receiver is based on the A2 receiver and extra rails and such have long been out of circulation.

For parts, Steyr sells a spare parts kit, but if you have questions and want to order the parts, Pete Athens is your guy: http://www.pjs-steyraug.com

He might be able to help you find some replacement rail that might work for you.
View Quote
It’s a milled receiver
To get mor rail space I may have to get rid of the VFG
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah, I was reading it as top rail space, but there is rail replacements for the VFG.

https://store.ratworxusa.com/products/accessories-990000005344-20-fgr-auga3-2545
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ah, I was reading it as top rail space, but there is rail replacements for the VFG.

https://store.ratworxusa.com/products/accessories-990000005344-20-fgr-auga3-2545
View Quote
Not a bad price, but I think there is one that has 3 rails - lower right and left
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I know the one Steyr sells is a two railed setup, but a three railed one isn't one I've seen.

I remember someone posting a quad rail a while back that looked like it fit to the barrel, but I haven't seen hide nor hair about it since then.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have yet to need any spare parts but from what I gather it’s a good idea to have a spare bolt sleeve on hand as they sometimes break.  Haven’t ever seen it myself but it’s not a particularly expensive part.  Probably the easiest thing to do is just buy the factory spare parts kit.  It has the sleeve, firing pin, extractor and some other small parts.  Available from Steyr and from Pete Athens.  If you aren’t in a rush wait six months and Steyr usually has some good Black Friday specials, pretty sure they had the spares kit for $125 last year.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have yet to need any spare parts but from what I gather it’s a good idea to have a spare bolt sleeve on hand as they sometimes break.  Haven’t ever seen it myself but it’s not a particularly expensive part.  Probably the easiest thing to do is just buy the factory spare parts kit.  It has the sleeve, firing pin, extractor and some other small parts.  Available from Steyr and from Pete Athens.  If you aren’t in a rush wait six months and Steyr usually has some good Black Friday specials, pretty sure they had the spares kit for $125 last year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ah, thanks for the heads up, looks like $100 off normal price.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ah, thanks for the heads up, looks like $100 off normal price.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/413021/20190402_192743_jpg-899011.JPG
View Quote
Yeah, the Steyr Black Friday sales had some really great deals.  Normally though their prices are fairly high, most of the time Pete Athens (PJ Steyr) is a much better options.  My recollection is that those spare kits are ~$180 from him though it looks like he is out of stock right now.  Now I was just curious and did a search on Gunbroker and it looks like there is a seller with a couple of them for sale at $125.  I would suggest just jumping on one of those.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I've broken a firing pin before, so one of those
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Guy I shoot with has been running a AUG since the 80s and has shot a barrel out in his main AUG.

He said he’s broken a couple of firing pins and a bolt sleeve.

The other parts in the spares kit are the kind of things that might get lost even if they don’t break.

Broken bolts don’t seem to be an AUG thing, although I did break a locking lug off the trunnion once.

AJ
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok I got the rail from
[email protected]
https://store.ratworxusa.com/search?q=Aug

DO NOT buy this rail

First they send it without instructions

Second the set screw is factory set which you wouldn’t know because there are NO F***ing instructions

Third the set screw doesn’t level it. It will prevent the rail from moving downwatd but won’t prevent it from moving upward. So if u want to add an IR Laser you may not be able to sight it in. Poor design and not worth 100 bucks just to put a VFG on it bec that’s all it would be good for

Fourth it’s only one rail.

Fifth....F***ing 20% RESTOCKING FEE
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:41:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok I got the rail from
[email protected]

DO NOT buy this rail

Second the set screw is factory set which you wouldn’t know because there are NO F***ing instructions

Third the set screw doesn’t level it. It will prevent the rail from moving downwatd but won’t prevent it from moving upward. So if u want to add an IR Laser you may not be able to sight it in. Poor design and not worth 100 bucks just to put a VFG on it bec that’s all it would be good for

View Quote
Were you trying to install a rail that was specifically designed for an AUG to a TPD AXR barrel?  Did you know that the gas block of the AXR, where the rail would attach to, is dimensionally different than the one on an AUG.  The contours are close but not the same.  The gas block is another part that Kent didn't outsource from Steyr.  You can kick and scream all you want.  It's not the fault of the rail.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ok I got the rail from
[email protected]

DO NOT buy this rail

View Quote
An AXR isn’t an AUG

Don’t blame RatWorx or the rail in question.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
An AXR isn’t an AUG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok I got the rail from
[email protected]

DO NOT buy this rail

An AXR isn’t an AUG

It takes the same parts and has a milled receiver.
After messing around w it I figured out how to make it work
Bit WTH . No instructions and them I’m told it’s a factory set item after the fact is bad period.  Is it that hard to add a small piece of paper at least saying not to remove the factory set set screw!
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Were you trying to install a rail that was specifically designed for an AUG to a TPD AXR barrel?  Did you know that the gas block of the AXR, where the rail would attach to, is dimensionally different than the one on an AUG.  The contours are close but not the same.  The gas block is another part that Kent didn't outsource from Steyr.  You can kick and scream all you want.  It's not the fault of the rail.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok I got the rail from
[email protected]

DO NOT buy this rail

Doesn’t matter if it’s not the same specs. Is it too much to ask for instructions?! Or at lease a paper stating not to take the set screw out bec it’s factory set!

And honestly if I’m getting under 1.5 MOA w ball ammo and it has a milled receiver and it takes AR mags I’d rather have an AXR! I’d also rather have it than my X95 too!
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Just because SOME parts are the same, it doesn’t mean all are.
Your efforts would have been better used contacting them.
Your rant is just a bit unjustified since you bought a part that wasn’t for your rifle.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just because SOME parts are the same, it doesn’t mean all are.
Your efforts would have been better used contacting them.
Your rant is just a bit unjustified since you bought a part that wasn’t for your rifle.
View Quote
It is for my rifle
And I asked them if it would fit
And in the end I got it to work after a lot of frustration.
The problem is that they didn’t send instructions or at least a piece of paper stating the set screw is factory set.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Guess I was a bit confused, installing these rails isn’t rocket science.

My apologies,.....carry on
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top