Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/14/2021 1:15:13 PM EDT
I am looking at buying an Aug and I have some questions about it and what model I should get. I have been a fan of pullbups since I was a kid growing up in the late 70's and 80's. I own a Tavor Sar and x95 and a KSG. I want to add an Aug to my collection. I think to add one right now I would need to sell two to three rifles.

Is the NATO A1 M3 the only one that takes USGI mags?

I believe the version that takes USGI mags doesn't have the bolt hold open feature, correct?  

I have a ton of AR mags and it would be the only reason that I would go with the NATO Aug. What are some other reasons to go with this over the standard Aug?

Are the standard Aug mags expensive? I have not looked at prices on those mags just yet. Is the 42 round mag good to go or should I not worry with them and just get the 30 round mags (if I go with the standard Aug).

Can I mount a weapon light on the side of the Aug? I see that there is a small rail but I am not sure if it is back to far or in an odd place to mount a light.

If you own an Aug and were buying one today, what one would you buy and why? I'm trying to decided what is the best option.

I am sure there will be more questions to come up as this thread goes along. Thanks everyone who takes the time to answer.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking at buying an Aug and I have some questions about it and what model I should get. I have been a fan of pullbups since I was a kid growing up in the late 70's and 80's. I own a Tavor Sar and x95 and a KSG. I want to add an Aug to my collection. I think to add one right now I would need to sell two to three rifles.

Is the NATO A1 M3 the only one that takes USGI mags?   (Yes)

I believe the version that takes USGI mags doesn't have the bolt hold open feature, correct?   (a Bolt release, both models have a bolt hold open, on the nato you need to work the charging handle after reload)

I have a ton of AR mags and it would be the only reason that I would go with the NATO Aug. What are some other reasons to go with this over the standard Aug? (Steyr Mags are built like a brick shit house, and factory 42 rounders are available, the bolt release is nice)

Are the standard Aug mags expensive? I have not looked at prices on those mags just yet. Is the 42 round mag good to go or should I not worry with them and just get the 30 round mags (if I go with the standard Aug). (27-32 bucks a piece currently, but I have seen them cheaper both the 30's and the 42s work flawlessly, the 42s are just longer)

Can I mount a weapon light on the side of the Aug? I see that there is a small rail but I am not sure if it is back to far or in an odd place to mount a light. Yes you can add a light there---but its very hard to engage it, you would need to run some sort of tape switch to the main grip, or stick it to the weak side of the rifle somehow.

If you own an Aug and were buying one today, what one would you buy and why? I'm trying to decided what is the best option. I bought the Standard version because I wanted the bolt release, and factory 42 round magazines, I went with the long rail.

I am sure there will be more questions to come up as this thread goes along. Thanks everyone who takes the time to answer. My pleasure, ask away.
View Quote

Answers above in bold.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the A3 and bought it because it was released first. It’s chunky and not as cool as the real deal. Also the 16” barrel isn’t optimal.

A STG77 type would be a lot more satisfying and handy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of the early ones, green 20" barrel with the carry handle Donut of death optic and it is pretty nice.
It is difficult to add lights, lasers, etc... to it but for what it is it works well. The 42 round magazines are nice too.
If you are worried about compactness don't forget the barrel is very quick to remove and install if you want something discrete to pack.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's my take on the non-nato version:

#1: Bolt release option
#2: 42rd magazines
#3: Magazines are readily available and not crazy expensive. How many magazines are you going to need any way? I look at these rifles as fun guns.
#4: Magpul makes 30rd windowed magazines for $19.95

You can mount lights, lasers, and optics easily but you'll have to run a tape switch unless you're a lefty for a light. There's also decent aftermarket support for the AUG platform.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#6]
A 20 round mag does not extend beyond the profile. Nato stock Aug’s gain a second mag release button but lose the bolt release.
A MRO and an Inforce light does a decent job making a tight package when on a 16” barrel gun. Nato Augs will lock back on empty mag once mag change pull back on charging handle.
Attachment Attached File

You see the extra mag release button on this pic. The AD Recon mount setup like this keeps the QD locks away from fingers working the charging handle.
Attachment Attached File

Size comparison.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy the standard AUG. Prices for magazines aren't bad, and Magpul makes them as well. I've known several who purchased the NATO AR Mag compatibility AUG, only to regret it later. With that said, stocks with the appropriate trigger packs are available should you wish to change it out. Welcome to the AUG side of things. I've owned them off/on going back to the late 1980s. Never a problem with any of them, except for the USR model I bought in the late 1990s. I didn't care for the heavy 20" barrel on it. I put one magazine through it, and it sat in my safe for well over a decade before I sold it. I really like my new ones. As far as mounting a light. There are options. For example, you could mount a Cloud Defensive  LCS on the top rail at the very first picatinny slot. Behind that, you could utilize an offset Ariska mini scout mount. This mount will have enough clearance for the light so that it doesn't touch the Cloud LCS. Now, install a Surefire DS07. All nice and neat, and out of the way, but costly. Some just plop a Surefire X300 or the like on the small section of rail, but I never liked having a light there. I just reach up with my left thumb and hit the surefire tape mounted in the LCS, and if I want constant on, just hit the button on the DS07. Having these three parts bolted to your top rail still leaves room for a 1X4 Elcan, but not BUIS. The Elcan is built like a tank and does have rudimentary backup sights on top. I would also recommend the Gear Head Works FLEx. This part replaces your existing takedown bar with an aluminum one with a QD sling hole. It gets your sling out of the way. I use them with the BFG Vicker slings, along with the Corvus QD sling takedown pin which is available through Steyr. Other nice add-ons are the Gear Head folding MOD 1 charging handle, and the Corvus magazine catch.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone. You have given me a lot to thinking about and digest. Keep the information coming. I didn't know MagPul made mags for the Aug. I will look into those too as I am doing my research. I am used to the way a bullpup works with mag changes and racking the charging handle. The Aug will just be another one to get muscle memory on.

I think as it stands right now, I am leaning to the standard Aug model. Not the NATO one. I think I just might go ahead and list a few of my other rifles and see if I can get the money to buy an Aug.

Please keep the information coming as I am reading and reading online too and watching YouTube. I should have bought one of these years ago.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks everyone. You have given me a lot to thinking about and digest. Keep the information coming. I didn't know MagPul made mags for the Aug. I will look into those too as I am doing my research. I am used to the way a bullpup works with mag changes and racking the charging handle. The Aug will just be another one to get muscle memory on.

I think as it stands right now, I am leaning to the standard Aug model. Not the NATO one. I think I just might go ahead and list a few of my other rifles and see if I can get the money to buy an Aug.

Please keep the information coming as I am reading and reading online too and watching YouTube. I should have bought one of these years ago.
View Quote
to add to what has already been said. The light isn’t really an issue on the side rail , I ran a X300u on most of my AUGs , the post 2018ish AUGs no longer have a CLB if that matters to you. I would strongly recommend going with the standard vs nato.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
to add to what has already been said. The light isn’t really an issue on the side rail , I ran a X300u on most of my AUGs , the post 2018ish AUGs no longer have a CLB if that matters to you. I would strongly recommend going with the standard vs nato.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks! I think the standard is where I will end up going. I hope to get a few things sold and maybe pick up and Aug. Prices seem to be all over the place right now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Underrated upgrade is the Corvus front accessory rail. Weight/balance is relatively unchanged vs. the factory foregrip, and your light mounting options begin to make much more sense...but definitely stick with the standard stock model that use actual AUG mags. The magpul mags are cheap and plentiful.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Question, does the gas port need to be adjusted for each load that you shoot? I had an Kel-Tec RDB that I really loved but didn't love the fact that I had to tune to each load. I want to pick up and shoot and go not adjust.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Question, does the gas port need to be adjusted for each load that you shoot? I had an Kel-Tec RDB that I really loved but didn't love the fact that I had to tune to each load. I want to pick up and shoot and go not adjust.
View Quote

No. If you need to use the adverse setting it’s probably half full of concrete. Strong ejection even with weak ammo.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No. If you need to use the adverse setting it’s probably half full of concrete. Strong ejection even with weak ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about shooting steal cased ammo? Is that a no go with this rifle? It was with my RDB.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:47:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mine shoots steel case fine.

I have the nato but have owned several of the standard.

You can’t go wrong either way.
View Quote

Thanks. I was hoping steak cases would be okay. It’s easier to find in my area. I do like the fact that the NATO I can use my AR mags. I’ve got tons for each of my rifles.

Is the A3 the standard model?
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 4:26:04 AM EDT
[#17]
As far as lights go I’m using the PupLight holder that mounts on the gas block and is controlled by my left thumb since I’m right handed.

I’ll post a pic after coffee.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 6:02:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As far as lights go I’m using the PupLight holder that mounts on the gas block and is controlled by my left thumb since I’m right handed.

I’ll post a pic after coffee.
View Quote

What light are you using in the Puplight, just ordered one for mine and I was looking at a handheld Modlite PLHv2, but the guys at Modlite told me not to cause "Those styles of mounts have worked in the past because handheld lights usually had a polymer body.".
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

The PupLight folks said it needed a one inch tubed light and spydercomonkey(sp?), whom I've become a big fan of, showed his and I bought one and am pleased with it.

Once I get it together I'll post a pic of my PupLight with the Fury installed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What light are you using in the Puplight, just ordered one for mine and I was looking at a handheld Modlite PLHv2, but the guys at Modlite told me not to cause "Those styles of mounts have worked in the past because handheld lights usually had a polymer body.".
View Quote

Polymer is like plastic, correct? Still no coffee yet.

The SureFire light has a metal tube so it's good to go BUT I haven't run it for an extended time and I haven't fired my AUG with it on either(no nighttime playgrounds but I imagine it will get warm pretty quick as it heated up nicely during the big freeze we had.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I appreciate it. Saw the DFT model of the fury, might give that a go.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

#3: Magazines are readily available and not crazy expensive. How many magazines are you going to need any way? I look at these rifles as fun guns.

You can mount lights, lasers, and optics easily but you'll have to run a tape switch unless you're a lefty for a light. There's also decent aftermarket support for the AUG platform.
View Quote

You need to add AC Unity AUG mags too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#24]

That is a slick setup for a light mount. I like that. I will have to keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will look for those mags too. I have not heard of AC Unity before.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

Only downside with current location is it taking some gas on the side. But no issues other then That and Sleeve makes it easy
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 2:23:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/448154/98C7E329-1601-4766-8772-3052FB943209_jpe-1979946.JPG
Only downside with current location is it taking some gas on the side. But no issues other then That and Sleeve makes it easy
View Quote

That looks like a very handy set up. Could you explain more about the sleeve? It looks a bit kinky.

@Kwisak
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I appreciate it. Saw the DFT model of the fury, might give that a go.
View Quote

I gave ~$120 shipped for a pair of Furies shipped! I think right after I picked them up there was a FuryII. The DFT looks pretty nice. Maybe if I get a real paying job I can relegate the Furies to carry duty lol.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/448154/98C7E329-1601-4766-8772-3052FB943209_jpe-1979946.JPG
View Quote

@Kwisak

What light/mount is that please? As long as I’m dreaming I may as well dream in cool colors.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

What light/mount is that? As long as I’m spending imaginary money I might as well get some color.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Thats the new "pro" version of the Surefire scout with the built in articulating mount.

https://www.surefire.com/products/illumination/weapon-lights/scout-light-pro/
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That looks like a very handy set up. Could you explain more about the sleeve? It looks a bit kinky.

@Kwisak
View Quote

Lol, it’s manta grip, larger one of the two they sell https://mantadefense.com/product/vertical-pistol-grip-sleeves-1-25-id/
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@Kwisak

What light/mount is that please? As long as I’m dreaming I may as well dream in cool colors.
View Quote

That one is the surfire scout swivel mount. It came with my surefire light.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Nothing to add other than echo the others. Go non-nato stock OP.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#35]
I have decided to put up three or four of my rifles for sale and get a Steyr Aug. Its a rifle that I have wanted for a long long time and I think I should try and get one now. I'm going to go with the non NATO version. Keep the information coming. This thread has been great and a lot of help. Thank you everyone for the information thus far.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#36]
What is the difference between the M3 and the A1 M3?

I want a 16" barrel Aug. What model is it that I am looking for?

I also want a long rail I believe. I want to run flip up sights and a red dot.

***EDIT****
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What is the difference between the M3 and the A1 M3?

I want a 16" barrel Aug. What model is it that I am looking for?

I also want a long rail I believe. I want to run flip up sights and a red dot.

***EDIT****
View Quote

The A3 is the last model made with a few more accessories available--unfortunately Steyr a few years back changed the receiver and incorporated the front sling swivel as a QD point into the receiver--giving us the A3m1. Both are 16" barrels.

If you are buying new--you will be getting the A3m1.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#38]
The A3M1 (commonly referred to as the M1) is a distinctly different model than the earlier A3. I wouldn’t consider them the same in any regard. Simply put, the M1 is the latest generation AUG, whereas the A3 is an earlier generation model of the AUG.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Lol, it’s manta grip, larger one of the two they sell https://mantadefense.com/product/vertical-pistol-grip-sleeves-1-25-id/
View Quote

Thanks. Hadn’t heard of them and they seem like the top manufacturer in that area.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Hey how's your laser holding up?  It seems like mine loses zero there when it gets hot.  Otherwise, I quite love it there.  Easy to engage and since it's close to bore axis, works at closer range well.  Let's you one-hand-hip fire too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#41]
@ lazyengineer

Since my club has been closed since November honestly I have no idea about my laser. IIRC it's a crimson trace green and it's never been sighted in. I don't have access to open land nighttime shooting so my a3m1 hasn't made it out too much and since I gathered her up to conduct my experiment I've noticed my port cover is a little bit loose. It has come off once before so I hope it behaves itself until I get my rounds downrange.

Cases are primed so I'm well on my way!
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
@ lazyengineer

Since my club has been closed since November honestly I have no idea about my laser. IIRC it's a crimson trace green and it's never been sighted in. I don't have access to open land nighttime shooting so my a3m1 hasn't made it out too much and since I gathered her up to conduct my experiment I've noticed my port cover is a little bit loose. It has come off once before so I hope it behaves itself until I get my rounds downrange.

Cases are primed so I'm well on my way!
View Quote

You don't have to live-fire zero the laser.  If your scope is sighted in already, it's really that easy - just point scope at a wall 10 yards away, and move the laser zero until it's at touch shy of 2" below the crosshair.   Good enough.  That's what's so great about laser accessories - since the integrated scope is already zero'd, you don't have to live-fire, to zero the laser.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Well gentleman (and if there are ladies here, ladies), I am now on my way to do some Aug shopping. I just sold two rifles and I have the funds to begin shopping and bidding. I hope I don't have to go over 2K. I am on Gunbroker and man all I see are NATO Aug's. It looks like those don't go over that $1900 range.

I'm going to keep looking online and watching the auctions. Hopeful something pops up soon. I would like black but I would take OD or Mud. I'm not that picky.

Do you guys know of places to look for Aug's in stock right now?

I should also add that one of the rifles that I sold I did a little trade for some of the cash. I got two Aug mags. A 42 round mag and a 30 round mag. They are both factor mags too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 12:42:53 AM EDT
[#44]
This might be a decent video on telling the differences between the standard and NATO Aug’s. I will let you guys be the judge of the video since I’m really new to the Aug platform.

Steyr AUG NATO: Worth The Risk?
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:25:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well gentleman (and if there are ladies here, ladies), I am now on my way to do some Aug shopping. I just sold two rifles and I have the funds to begin shopping and bidding. I hope I don't have to go over 2K. I am on Gunbroker and man all I see are NATO Aug's. It looks like those don't go over that $1900 range.

I'm going to keep looking online and watching the auctions. Hopeful something pops up soon. I would like black but I would take OD or Mud. I'm not that picky.

Do you guys know of places to look for Aug's in stock right now?

I should also add that one of the rifles that I sold I did a little trade for some of the cash. I got two Aug mags. A 42 round mag and a 30 round mag. They are both factor mags too.
View Quote

I sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:35:46 AM EDT
[#46]
I highly recommend that if you purchase an AUG you get it in the NATO configuration.

This is because due to changes in the receiver or the mold over the years NATO stocks frequently require internal fitting. This can be a pain in the ass!

However, if you buy one already set up for NATO mags they already have done that for you.

You can always easily switch stocks to OEM mags if you want.

Other reasons for the NATO stock include cheaper mags, better selection of mags, magpul 40's and surefire 60rd quad stacks work and still go prone.

I actually prefer the A3SA receiver over the current A3 M1 as it has more rail options and extended rail options.

I feel strongly enough about this that I would consider looking for a used A3 SA on the secondary market as an alternative to the A3M1

I highly recommend the 2020 precision sear. It dramatically improves the trigger pull weight, trigger travel , and reset.

The corvus mag release is cool but only works with the original mag stock.

The corvus brass deflector is cool but is specific tot he original stock or NATO stock so make sure you get the right one. I f'd that up myself. Oh well.

The gearhead works FLEX locking block with integrated sling mount is very helpful in completely bypassing any sling and charging handle access issues.

I recommend the 16" barrel and try to get one with the 1/2x28 threads that they are offering now.

Midwest industries makes/made an MOLK rail for only $30 that replaces the angled side rail and is a bit longer.

If you want to mount a traditional tube strip, manticore arms makes a mount that ends up giving you kind of the look of the original but with your cope of choice. Very cool.

tsh77769
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File
.  Everyone loves the AUG.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Just don't go near mud with it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top