Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2021 9:42:13 PM EDT
Buddy of mine has a room over his retail shop he's not using, more than 1000 feet away from a school.

Rent is very affordable, I'm over the moon @ the moment.  Will be doing transfers & gun shows to start, w/ what limited inventory I can scrounge up.

Have worked for both a sporting goods retailer & an LGS before, so I have a decent idea of the regulations, know what a straw purchase is, and have denied several of them in the past.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you started the licensing process?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Think I'm gonna have to get the lease in writing 1st, unless ATF's gonna take my word for it.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I've found a good location. I may even buy the building. My question is it's across the state line in Indiana. Can I live in one state and possess an FFL in another?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Buddy of mine has a room over his retail shop he's not using, more than 1000 feet away from a school.

Rent is very affordable, I'm over the moon @ the moment.  Will be doing transfers & gun shows to start, w/ what limited inventory I can scrounge up.

Have worked for both a sporting goods retailer & an LGS before, so I have a decent idea of the regulations, know what a straw purchase is, and have denied several of them in the past.
View Quote

how about taking a deep breath and a step back and put a business plan together in writing first?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  how about taking a deep breath and a step back and put a business plan together in writing first?
View Quote

1) Inventory - none available whatsoever
2) Regulatory environment - worsening

Think I'll settle for a written lease so I can start the application process.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  how about taking a deep breath and a step back and put a business plan together in writing first?

Brilliant idea...sign the lease terms and when the BATFE denies your application for lack of a basic business plan then you're still on the hook for leasing the space.  Epic failure is in your future.  Good luck with that shit!
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  Brilliant idea...sign the lease terms and when the BATFE denies your application for lack of a basic business plan then you're still on the hook for leasing the space.  Epic failure is in your future.  Good luck with that shit!
View Quote

You're awesomely helpful.  I really appreciate the advice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Think I'm gonna have to get the lease in writing 1st, unless ATF's gonna take my word for it.  
View Quote

they don;t need to see the lease, just need to see the space..

get the FFL then Sign a 6 mo lease..or take that $3k and stick a Shed in your back yard and call that your GunShop
Break a leg backbencher..

Chef(former backyard FFL Holder)
Unless you live in an apartment or HOA..easy peasy..
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  they don;t need to see the lease, just need to see the space..

get the FFL then Sign a 6 mo lease..or take that $3k and stick a Shed in your back yard and call that your GunShop
Break a leg backbencher..

Chef(former backyard FFL Holder)
Unless you live in an apartment or HOA..easy peasy..
View Quote

Yeah, we're in an HOA.  But I'll be paying rather far less than $3k - it's good to have friends, particularly if they have some spare real estate they're not using.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Brilliant idea...sign the lease terms and when the BATFE denies your application for lack of a basic business plan then you're still on the hook for leasing the space.  Epic failure is in your future.  Good luck with that shit!

I call it like I see it.  Also a former FFL licensee so I do know what the IOI will be looking for when they interview you.

What do you plan to do at gun shows with no inventory?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  I call it like I see it.  Also a former FFL licensee so I do know what the IOI will be looking for when they interview you.

What do you plan to do at gun shows with no inventory?
View Quote

Same as every other dealer there - pitch what scraps we can find.  What part of Texas were you licensed in, how long did you have your FFL, and why did you quit?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Brilliant idea...sign the lease terms and when the BATFE denies your application for lack of a basic business plan then you're still on the hook for leasing the space.  Epic failure is in your future.  Good luck with that shit!
View Quote

While a very good idea is to have a business plan, ATF HAS NEVER required anything of the sort.
As long as the applicant can legally operate his business from that location ATF will approve the FFL.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
... Can I live in one state and possess an FFL in another?
View Quote

Sure.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Whur at?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Same as every other dealer there - pitch what scraps we can find.  What part of Texas were you licensed in, how long did you have your FFL, and why did you quit?
View Quote

North DFW.
10 Years (2009-2019).
Promoted at my regular job (Exec. VP of Engineering), took on more responsibilities which limited my time pimping guns.

You will most likely get an interview (at your listed business premise) within 60 days (I think) after you submit your application.  They will want to see...

1. contract for your business premise
2. most likely require a letter from the building owner stating they approve a firearms type business on their property
3. DBA or LLC documentation
4. Sales Tax Cert
5. they WILL check local zoning laws with the city you're in
6. they WILL want to see your business plan

You need to treat this like your interviewing for a job.  Just because you submit an application it does not mean you will be automatically approved.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

While a very good idea is to have a business plan, ATF HAS NEVER required anything of the sort.
As long as the applicant can legally operate his business from that location ATF will approve the FFL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just went through my archived notes and Ms. Madonna (whom you might know) specifically asked for my business plan.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  North DFW.
10 Years (2009-2019).
Promoted at my regular job (Exec. VP of Engineering), took on more responsibilities which limited my time pimping guns.

You will most likely get an interview (at your listed business premise) within 60 days (I think) after you submit your application.  They will want to see...

2. most likely require a letter from the building owner stating they approve a firearms type business on their property
4. Sales Tax Cert

You need to treat this like your interviewing for a job.  Just because you submit an application it does not mean you will be automatically approved.
View Quote

1/2 already have verbal approval on, need some boilerplate to modify to submit to the bldg mgr for signature.
3/4 have had since 2014.
5 - it's above an existing retail business & more than 1000' from the nearest school.
6 - You're the only one stating this - have heard from 2x current FFLs that's it's helpful but not required.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

1/2 already have verbal approval on, need some boilerplate to modify to submit to the bldg mgr for signature.
3/4 have had since 2014.
5 - it's above an existing retail business & more than 1000' from the nearest school.
6 - You're the only one stating this - have heard from 2x current FFLs that's it's helpful but not required.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
10 Years (2009-2019).

4. Sales Tax Cert

3/4 have had since 2014.

Verbal approval huh?  BATFE works off of verbals all the time.  Yea, right.  Like I said, epic failure is in your future.  Just wait until you get your first compliance inspection...lmao!

BTW...#6...I never said it was a requirement.  Having it shows the BATFE that you have your shit together and have a PLAN!!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Verbal approval huh?  BATFE works off of verbals all the time.  Yea, right.  Like I said, epic failure is in your future.  Just wait until you get your first compliance inspection...lmao!

BTW...#6...I never said it was a requirement.  Having it shows the BATFE that you have your shit together and have a PLAN!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10 Years (2009-2019).

4. Sales Tax Cert

3/4 have had since 2014.

Kindly bow out of my thread, since you're unable to comprehend what I write.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
10 Years (2009-2019).

4. Sales Tax Cert

3/4 have had since 2014.

"Know it all" that has no fucking idea what you're doing.

It's actually comical what you write from the start of this thread.  Look at other threads where people are applying for their FFL.  Many have their shit together and in some type of logical order.

Oh, just because it's in a retail location does NOT mean they will allow a "retail" gun shop int he same location.  It's called "zoning".

Place holder...for future (failure) updates...GFY!
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
.....They will want to see...

1. contract for your business premise Can be done after license is issued
2. most likely require a letter from the building owner stating they approve a firearms type business on their property A copy of your lease works just fine.
3. DBA or LLC documentation Or your corporation docs
4. Sales Tax Cert not required until you get your FFL
5. they WILL check local zoning laws with the city you're in True
6. they WILL want to see your business plan It's none of their business. Business plans are outside of ATF jurisdiction.

You need to treat this like your interviewing for a job.  Just because you submit an application it does not mean you will be automatically approved. No, if you meet the requirements to legally operate a business under all local, state and federal laws including HOA covenants and zoning requiremants YOU WILL be issued an FFL. It absolutely IS NOT like a job interview....ATF doesn't get to deny your app because of feels.

View Quote

Again, NONE of that is required BEFORE your FFL is issued. ATF may want to see a lot of things, that doesn't mean you have to show them.
From Question 20 on the Form 7:
b. Within 30 days after the application is approved, the business/activity will comply with the requirements of State and local law
applicable to the conduct of the business/activity.
c. Business/activity will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of State and local law applicable to the business/activity
have been met

ATF has no statutory authority to require an applicants "business plan".
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I just went through my archived notes and Ms. Madonna (whom you might know) specifically asked for my business plan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She can ask to see your dick, doesn't mean you have to drop trou.
NO requirement to have a business plan period.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Again, NONE of that is required BEFORE your FFL is issued. ATF may want to see a lot of things, that doesn't mean you have to show them.
b. Within 30 days after the application is approved, the business/activity will comply with the requirements of State and local law
c. Business/activity will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of State and local law applicable to the business/activity
have been met

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.....They will want to see...

4. Sales Tax Cert

have been met

Never said any of it was a fucking "requirement" Tom.  Go back and read teacher and quit being a fucking dick!

Actually go back and look at your previous posts were you chastised folks for not having a business plan.  I 've seen numerous threads where you bashed people over the very issue.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Never said it was a fucking requirement Tom.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, yeah you did..

Quoted:....Brilliant idea...sign the lease terms and when the BATFE denies your application for lack of a basic business plan ....

John, if it isn't a requirement WHY the heck bring it up?

Go back and read teacher and quit being a fucking dick!

I'm not the one being a dick.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Actually go back and look at your previous posts were you chastised folks for not having a business plan.  I 've seen numerous threads where you bashed people over the very issue.
View Quote

And I told the same to the OP in a PM. Not having a business plan is a recipe for failure.

But you posted  "when the BATFE denies your application for lack of a basic business plan"..........which IS NOT GROUNDS FOR A DENIAL of his application.
ATF IS NOT going to deny his application for not having a business plan, so drop it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well, yeah you did..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, yeah you did..

Quoted:....Brilliant idea...sign the lease terms and when the BATFE denies your application for lack of a basic business plan ....

Go back and read teacher and quit being a fucking dick!

I bring it up because it's very apparent this dude has no fucking idea what he's about to get himself into.  All he's focused on is an empty space above a retail space.

He worked in a gun shop...who hoo!

He has NO fucking plan....wait, gun shows is his plan, LMAO.

Not all retail spaces are equal.  Example...Shops at Legacy or Waters Creek (not far from you and I) are full retail.  Do you think they will allow a gun shop in that area?  No fucking way.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I bring it up because it's very apparent this dude has no fucking idea what he's about to get himself into.  All he's focused on is an empty space above a retail space.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I disagree.

He worked in a gun shop...who hoo!

Which beats my experience in a gun shop.....which is zero.

He has NO fucking plan....wait, gun shows is his plan, LMAO.

He did say he was going to do transfers.
Depending on what part of DFW he could do hundreds a month part time.....like me.

Not all retail spaces are equal.  Example...Shops at Legacy or Waters Creek (not far from you and I) are full retail.  Do you think they will allow a gun shop in that area?  No fucking way.

True, but I don't see those landlords letting in McDonalds, Jiffy Lube or WalMart either.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And I told the same to the OP in a PM. Not having a business plan is a recipe for failure.

But you posted  "when the BATFE denies your application for lack of a basic business plan"..........which IS NOT GROUNDS FOR A DENIAL of his application.
ATF IS NOT going to deny his application for not having a business plan, so drop it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I said that.  I was implying they will see right through him without a plan.  Let me expand...is he in this to make money and be engaged in the business?  Or as a hobby to enhance his personal gun collection and do occasional transfers to his buddies.

I know I did it right in 10 years, four compliance inspections and not one negative comment from any IOI.  I was NOT in it for a long term career.  I had a plan, made a shit ton of money thanks to politicians that were great gun salesman then got the fuck out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Probably should lock OP...it's apparent you're clueless.  LOL...worked in a Gunshop....
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes, I said that.  I was implying they will see right through him without a plan.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I said that.  I was implying they will see right through him without a plan.  

Yet you called me a dick for not reading?
And "see right through him without a plan"? WHO THE FUCK CARES WHAT ATF sees?
AGAIN, NO BUSINESS PLAN IS REQUIRED.

Let me expand...is he in this to make money and be engaged in the business?  Or as a hobby to enhance his personal gun collection and do occasional transfers to his buddies.

Who the fuck knows.....but I do know this, few prospective FFL's bother with retail space when all they plan to do is enhance their personal collection. He could do that from home EVEN IN AN HOA.

I know I did it right in 10 years, four compliance inspections and not one negative comment from any IOI.  I was NOT in it for a long term career.  I had a plan, made a shit ton of money thanks to politicians that were great gun salesman then got the fuck out.

which has fuck all to do with the OP.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#32]
This is not GD, user attacks and foul language are not permitted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top