Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2018 2:33:04 AM EDT
Okay, so I want to avoid the whole anti-China-made products and politics issue, which I can understand, but instead, I want to just focus on knife designers, makers, and higher-end manufactures where some just happen to reside in China.  There are several knife companies in China making high quality knives that have really stirred up some emotion in the knife industry.  Now, just simply looking at the knives, their fit and finish, quality materials, etc., there’s no denying that there are some quality knife products in this mid-tech range coming out of China…just focusing on the product, not the origins or politics.

With that said, I saw a couple of moderately priced (each priced under $60) Artisan Cutlery knives.  I know nothing about them, other than they are listed with several other Chinese-based knife manufacturers.  I liked the designs of these two, the S-Waistliner and Apache liner locks, and figured I would see how well they were designed.  I’m quite honestly surprised at the quality and attention to detail. Materials are average, D2 blade steel, G10 and/or aluminum handles, stainless liners and ball-bearing flipping actions; priced very reasonably.

Again, these are extremely well executed.  The S-Waistliner has the G10 handled radiused which is a nice touch that most manufacturers ignore.  Both liners lock up solid and centered, and the blades are perfectly centered.  I’ve noticed no cut-corners, they seem almost hand finished compared to some higher end production knives I own (like Benchmade and ZT), but that just gives credit to their QA/QC manufacturing processes.  I can honestly say you would be hard pressed to find many American-made knives in this price range for this level of quality.  That’s a little embarrassing, but it also puts good pressure on our domestic made knives to step up their game.

Oh, I also like that the blades are pretty "clean".  Not a lot of logo and crap written all over them.

Well, even if you don’t want to admit to buying a knife made in China, and the designs appeal to you, I can recommend that these are well-priced, high-quality folders that will likely surprise you.  Now, I typically prefer “buy in America”, but this higher-end knife community in China are true knife-enthusiasts and craftsmen…my rationale is that I’ll support the broader, international knife community as well as on the home-front.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 4:47:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

I just got this Artisan Jungle.  It does seem very well made with excellent fit & finish.  D2, G10, and ceramic bearings for just under $50.  Compares very favorably against my Chinese Spydercos at the same price point.

I'm happy with it, and it's a neat addition to the collection.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
If you spec it right, the Chinese can build some really nice blades.

Or they'll flat out just steal designs...
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:31:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you spec it right, the Chinese can build some really nice blades.

Or they'll flat out just steal designs...
View Quote
Yeah, that's been a significant problem.  The higher end companies are trying to move away from those criticisms and they are collaborating with several knife makers or making their own designs.  It will take some time, but those that do it well are getting a lot more attention.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't own a Artisan blade but a buddy does and it is a nice blade.  I do however own a Besttech, a WE, and a couple Kizer blades.  I like the Besttech for a hard working blade as it is good materials and design, WE on materials and collab with US designers, and the Kizers are really up there on materials quality and collaborations.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:25:17 AM EDT
[#5]
WE knives
Steel Will
Kizer
Reate

Have impressed me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I always worry if the steel is what they say it is and if it's heat treated properly.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always worry if the steel is what they say it is and if it's heat treated properly.
View Quote
Several have been tested from what I've read on Blade Forums.  They have a pretty significant profile in the knife community, so I would trust them as much as any quality US manufacturer that out-sources some of their lines overseas with good QA/QC.  These aren't obscure, back-alley operations, they're pretty legit (and trying to get more credibility for being "Chinese-made" knives) companies.  I do agree, the big concern is the honesty of actual steel choice and heat-treatment.  I would stick with the companies mentioned above only because they betting on their reputation of quality which some have already tested.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got the Smoky Mountain Knife Works catalog and they have a page with this brand for sale.  I thought they looked great, but they didn't mention China.  I gravitated to the OD Littoral for $55.49 before shipping.

I've got a little knife money to spend and if I don't splurge on a venom green Junglas, or a green 940-1, I might look into one.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one of the larger Shark models in D2 with G10 scales.  So far so good after a few months of carry, has kept its edge relatively well and no rust so far with minimal (no) care.  Not bad for the cost and if it were to be lost it would be easier/cheaper to replace than something like a zt  0452cf.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:15:15 AM EDT
[#10]
My Chinese Spyderco's have held up well..

Yes you read that right..
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top