Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2022 6:12:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottr]
Ordered one this morning

https://www.armsunlimited.com/22LR-Reloadable-Beehive-Round-37mm-40mm-Launcher-p/bh15-22.htm

I don't have any large pistol primers. Are any better than any other when it comes to reloading this?

Link Posted: 1/11/2022 6:26:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jt526] [#1]
Well that is a price you don't see very often on something like this. Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#2]
It's that price because it doesn't have steel rifled barrels pressed in.  The expensive ones do.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know what large primer to use? Is there a certain one
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 1:36:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 804mp5guy:
View Quote

Not trying to be a dick, but in this market, anything that you can find.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By eodinert:
It's that price because it doesn't have steel rifled barrels pressed in.  The expensive ones do.
View Quote
Man, I would have ordered 10 of these yesterday if it was a real rifled beehive. Still not a bad price considering most companies stopped making a 37mm beehive of any kind. The fact that it also is sized for a 40mm makes me wonder about tolerances. Being all aluminum is questionable, but thats just me; especially since it holds 15, when the old-skool ones only held 9. Those smooth bores are rather thin.

I also can't stop laughing (or crying) when I see them selling 1K of primers for $120+. I can't believe people would buy them at that price.

As for which primers to use, in this situation, what ever is available.  You could ask your friends that reload to give you 1 or 2 of a few different brands and see which fit this device the best, but with primers being un-obtanium right  now; use anything you can find, borow, or trade.

Also to the OP; thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By keith13b:
Man, I would have ordered 10 of these yesterday if it was a real rifled beehive. Still not a bad price considering most companies stopped making a 37mm beehive of any kind. The fact that it also is sized for a 40mm makes me wonder about tolerances. Being all aluminum is questionable, but thats just me; especially since it holds 15, when the old-skool ones only held 9. Those smooth bores are rather thin.

I also can't stop laughing (or crying) when I see them selling 1K of primers for $120+. I can't believe people would buy them at that price.

As for which primers to use, in this situation, what ever is available.  You could ask your friends that reload to give you 1 or 2 of a few different brands and see which fit this device the best, but with primers being un-obtanium right  now; use anything you can find, borow, or trade.

Also to the OP; thanks for sharing.
View Quote

The aluminum will hold up for moderate use - these aren't going to be doing range dumps of bulk packs.  Like the Aluminum 12 gauge adapters they work because the very short barrels doesn't allow a lot of pressure to build up - nonetheless aluminum won't hold up forever with the torching  from many rounds and may wear - you probably won't live to see it.  rifled steel liners are the best - but rare and expensive.

Even with steel rifled barrels they don't seem to do much more than buckshot which is part of why these are not very useful for tactical applications   However they are fun to play with as a exotic range toy and that price point is attractive.  Too bad I can't find a 40mm receiver anywhere at the moment!  Been waiting for years - I'd pick it up but picked up so many 40mm accessories and components for an item that never arrives.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:22:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grog18b] [#7]
I’ve range tested both rifled and non rifled adapters. The rifled adapters offer higher velocities but a larger spread. Non rifled adapters hold a tighter spread but less velocity. Ranges tested were 10-65 feet from target. GROG
http://www.37and40mikemike.com/Multi%20Projectile%201.htm
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Rolled the dice and ordered one. Don't have a beehive so I figured this would be a decent addition to try out. Price is attractive for beehives in general like you all said when compared to other s on the market right now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 4:03:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottr] [#9]
Came in the mail today

Nothing fancy, as expected. Fit is a little loose in a 40mm barrel, guess they did that to also fit a 37mm. The rim around the base is smaller than a regular 40mm round too, small enough that the extractor doesn't grab it but large enough that the round doesn't fall down the barrel. .22 rounds fit snugly, not too tight but needed a rod to push them back out of some of the chambers. some came back out tapping it on the work bench

I don't have any large pistol primers to try it out yet. Going to track some of those down this afternoon

ETA - Found some .22 shot shells in my stash. Wonder what that would look like...
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By scottr:
Came in the mail today

Nothing fancy, as expected. Fit is a little loose in a 40mm barrel, guess they did that to also fit a 37mm. The rim around the base is smaller than a regular 40mm round too, small enough that the extractor doesn't grab it but large enough that the round doesn't fall down the barrel. .22 rounds fit snugly, not too tight but needed a rod to push them back out of some of the chambers. some came back out tapping it on the work bench

I don't have any large pistol primers to try it out yet. Going to track some of those down this afternoon

ETA - Found some .22 shot shells in my stash. Wonder what that would look like...
View Quote

Perfect snake round - I'd bet it through a very wide pattern at just a few feet away - give it  try and report back sounds like a good way to kill a few hours.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:48:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Got mine today.  It fits my registered DD 37mm like a glove.  I was half-way expecting it to not fit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Got mine yesterday, fits loose in my 40mm's.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Received mine yesterday.  I am going to have to turn it down to fit in my Spikes Havok, which sucks because then it will need to be refinished.  This was mentioned by the company I was just wishing for the best.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Or... you could open your chamber up a bit to fit it and other casings. GROG
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#15]
That has crossed my mind.  I wish someone still sold rifled barrels for the Havok.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 804mp5guy:
View Quote

#209 shotgun primers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By hpdfish:
That has crossed my mind.  I wish someone still sold rifled barrels for the Havok.
View Quote

I’m trying to find a 7” Havok in stock
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MadDogDan:

#209 shotgun primers.
View Quote

Um, no.
CCI large pistol magnum worked best in testing. GROG
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Well initial testing does not seem promising. I took it out today and was using CCI large pistol primers, federal bulk pack 22 ammo and Gemtech standard velocity ammo. The first volley using Gemtech two rounds fired. The second Valli using the federal bulk pack three rounds fired.  I may contact the company on Monday and see if there’s anything I can do to make it more reliable.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#20]
CCI large pistol magnum primers. Try different .22 ammo too. Some work better than others. GROG
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks Grog, I attempted two different magnum pistol primers and different types of ammo with the same result.  Only a few fired.  If anyone comes up with something that works let me know!
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I have not tried the ones you have. I did, at the time of testing have two different brands. The ones that functioned best were the ones in the review I did. The second brand did not function well at all, kinda like you are describing. It was not the brand you have, and it was not provided for T&E so I did not include it or the manufacturer name in the review. It was used simply for my own curiosity. So, as I said, all adapters are not created equal. GROG
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Just a thought ... I wonder if you can deepen the primer pocket and use LRPs instead of LPPs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 12:46:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Any advice on installing the primers (in the field or otherwise)? Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#25]
In the shop, I use an arbor press. Field I use a muzzle loader bullet starter with flat surface. Never reprime into a loaded case.... reprime the base only. GROG
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I think the issue is the firing pins do not go far enough into the rimfire case to cause ignition. Not depth but width wise if that makes sense.  I believe Arms Unlimited is aware of the issue with the round and they are working on a solution, we will see.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:59:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeD916] [#27]
I think the issue is the firing pins do not go far enough into the rimfire case to cause ignition. Not depth but width wise if that makes sense.  I believe Arms Unlimited is aware of the issue with the round and they are working on a solution, we will see.
View Quote

I got one too but have yet to test it in my registered 37mm.. all the 40mm ones I’ve seen have firing pins that were aligned to each 22s rimfire  in the hornets nest but this one doesn’t so maybe that’s why their not all firing? But I’m not a expert whatsoever Lol
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I finally tested mine today.  I loaded up a CCI LP magnum primer and 15 rounds of ancient American Eagle .22 that has been on the bottom of my range bag for at least a decade.  Dropped the hammer and 13 rounds went off.

Then I realized that I forgot to bring a cleaning rod to knock out the spent casings, so I only got one try today.  

With that said, 13/15 is probably better reliability with AE ammo than I would have gotten from my 10/22.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#29]
AU just posted their gen 2 beehive.  Does anyone know the differences?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By jhoule:
AU just posted their gen 2 beehive.  Does anyone know the differences?
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#31]
https://www.armsunlimited.com/22LR-Reloadable-Beehive-Round-37mm-40mm-Launcher-p/bh15-22.htm
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By jhoule:
View Quote

Is that the gen 2?  

I don't see any differences I the description.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#33]
It’s the gen 2 as following through the email link.  The only difference I saw was the clarification on a seperate part needed to work with 37mm havoc tubes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#34]
IMHO, they had to know the Gen-1s didn't work very well...
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By mattnh:
IMHO, they had to know the Gen-1s didn't work very well...
View Quote
I'm sure that's why they wanted to clearance them out before offering the Gen 2.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Arms Unlimited sent me the Gen 2 bottom and I tried it out yesterday.  Fired it twice with random 22 rounds I had.  All fired both times!  I guess there was an issue with the Gen 1 working in Havoc's.  It appears the rim is thicker on the Gen 2.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Arms Unlimited sent me the Gen 2 bottom and I tried it out yesterday.  Fired it twice with random 22 rounds I had.  All fired both times!  I guess there was an issue with the Gen 1 working in Havoc's.  It appears the rim is thicker on the Gen 2.
View Quote

If it's just the rim thickness, you might be able to slip an o-ring over it to get it to work.

Depending on the case, this is sometimes needed with RV85s.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Beehive is still on sale for $175

The extra tail cap for use in the havoc is on sale for $20

Beehive Tail Cap for Havoc 37mm Launchers
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Does anybody have any YouTube videos of them shooting the AU beehive? Can’t seem to find any vids of it yet
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#40]
might have to get a couple of these
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 4:16:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jt526] [#41]
These are down to $99 now. I haven't shot my first one, so I am not sure if they are blowing them out because they suck or or they have an absolute ton of them (which they do)

I don't think anyone need to rush to buy them, inventory showed 1056 of them in stock.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:29:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mak0] [#42]
Originally Posted By jt526:
These are down to $99 now. I haven't shot my first one, so I am not sure if they are blowing them out because they suck or or they have an absolute ton of them (which they do)

I don't think anyone need to rush to buy them, inventory showed 1056 of them in stock.
View Quote

Hmm I might grab one for $99.

Are these the "gen 2"? and have we ever found out what was changed in the supposed gen 2?
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#43]
The only difference between the Gen 1 and 2 is the tail cap.  You can purchase the Gen 2 tail cap separately and it is needed to use in the Havoc.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#44]
I played around with mine some more.  I am noticing that it works better in my launcher with an o-ring around the base.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:19:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jt526] [#45]
Hard pass for me on buying another one. I am risk adverse with my m203, I like my hands a lot and don't want to send a 22lr round or case through a car window or my foot. I'd say about 1/2 of the rounds ignited any given try and then i had a lot of rounds absolutely stuck in the chambers. One round stuck, sure no big deal you pays your money and takes your chances that you won't have a discharge clearing a barrel. We've all done it (I assume!), hammered out a live round as safely as possible. 6-7 at a time I am out.

The anodizing on this is like "Type 49 - paper thin and of highly questionable quality" and already showing wear in the primer pocket after 3 shots. Aluminum is soft, not sure what kind but it screams "not very good 3003" to me.

YMMV etc.

ETA: last shot fired all 15 rounds, but it took a hammer to get the casings out. Maybe it gets more reliable after some break in. But I doubt I'll shoot it enough to find out.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 1:44:47 AM EDT
[#46]
I don't know the overall opinion is on these, but they're on sale again for $99.99 if people are still interested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top