Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2018 12:52:56 PM EDT
Want to add some beef to my car for the growing number of road ragers.

I haven't found anything tests on the paint except bird shot.

Any panels you can recommend?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Want to add some beef to my car for the growing number of road ragers.

I haven't found anything tests on the paint except bird shot.

Any panels you can recommend?
View Quote
I had a couple of older IIIa vests in my closet.  I took one of them and put it under the back seat cover of the driver's side seat in my truck.  I took the other one and took of my interior door panel and taped the two vest halves to the inside skin of my outer door panel, it was a PITA but I got it done.  I know that isn't a ton, but it does offer some increased protection.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:24:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe get some  test panelsfrom bulletproofme. And put them in strategic spots.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Find some old extra large or bigger fragmentation vests. Wrap them completely around each seat. Consider that the body panels on the vehicle should disrupt a passing bullet enough to enable the vest to do it's job, and that it will have to penetrate both sides of the vest in order to get to you.

I occasionally see MRAP kevlar tiles on Gunbroker and Ebay, you could try that too if you're really serious.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.bulldogdirect.com/armor-panels/

https://www.armorco.com/home

Do the job right and you will increase vehicle weight by 1500 pounds making it a slug in traffic and largely exceeding its load rating before anyone even gets in.

It's also accepting that tactics and opsec will fail miserably, they caught on it's you, you are vulnerable, and they also know your route and it can be predicted. If things are going that bad wearing the vest and riding a motorcycle might be preferable.

It's complicated is what it is.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
unless you're going to do the windows, your wasting time/money
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I would suggest a vest panel in the doors and seatbacks. Ford used to offer a bulletproof door panel option for doors on Crown Vics. I worked on armored cars that used a solid kevlar panel in the doors it was about 1/4 inch thick and did not add a lot of weight. Windows are going to be very heavy and no longer roll down.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
unless you're going to do the windows, your wasting time/money
View Quote
It could still give you a barrier in the event you end up exchanging shots with someone.  An armored bottom half will give you better cover to duck behind than a concealment door that will not stop a round.  Sometimes something is better than nothing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top