Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2018 3:21:07 PM EDT
Ive been wet tumbling for a few years with my FART tumbler with dawn and leminshine.  I was amazed when i first got it.  Every once in a while id get some tarnish or dull cases.

I have been on well water the last year and a half.  Ive had an uptick in tarnish etc.  Ive experimented with what leminshine and tumbling time with minimal effect.

I bought a big bottle of wash n wax at walmart yesterday pretty cheap.  I used 2 tablespoons and a 1/4 teaspoon of leminshine.  I have literally the most blinging bright brass i have ever seen now.  Its already bright and shiny wet tumbling but this takes it to a whole new level and the wax seems to keep it from tarnishing any at all while it's drying.

Even if dawn is working for you it is worth trying.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it important to the function of the ammo, or are you just a perfectionist who likes a good looking product?

Serious question.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it important to the function of the ammo, or are you just a perfectionist who likes a good looking product?

Serious question.
View Quote
No but i dont want my cases corroding over time.  Some cases would occasionally be grey for some reason with the well water.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the dull dark color is because of too much or too little lemonshine.  Happens to me too (well water).
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think the dull dark color is because of too much or too little lemonshine.  Happens to me too (well water).
View Quote
Ive tried varying amounts to no avail in the last couple weeks to see.  Its obviously something in my water chemistry but with the wash n wax it all looks absolutely perfect with 1/4 tsp leminshine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Ditched Dawn long time ago, Wash and wax is actually cheaper, pre lubes the cases and inhibits tarnish which Dawn can not do.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Have been using it for awhile and really like it.  Keeps the cases from tarnishing and acts as case lube for 9mm.  Definitely an easier pull on the ram and not oily like Hot Shot case lube.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you saying you wet tumble with it AND spray some on for sizing, or is the residue enough from tumbling to help with sizing 9mm?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are you saying you wet tumble with it AND spray some on for sizing, or is the residue enough from tumbling to help with sizing 9mm?
View Quote
When you wet tumble it cleans everything off.  So well that often you will get galling when sizing especially with neck expanding.  The wash n wax leaves a thin layer of wax that negates this.  You cant even see or feel the wax but it is there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When you wet tumble it cleans everything off.  So well that often you will get galling when sizing especially with neck expanding.  The wash n wax leaves a thin layer of wax that negates this.  You cant even see or feel the wax but it is there.
View Quote
You also increase your odds of bullet setback leaving that slippery residue in the cases.

I will take a pass on all that...
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
The wax is enough, you don't need to use case lube.  Rinse in cool water so you don't wash off the wax.

Try it yourself.  The wash n' wax isn't that expensive and you can use it for washing your car if you don't like it.  Run a batch with it and see what it's like in your press.  You can always use a spray lube if you don't feel the wax is working for you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You also increase your odds of bullet setback leaving that slippery residue in the cases.

View Quote
Its not a slippery residue.  When you dry tumble brass it is not completely clean like wet tumbling so there is "residue" .  Does this mean you will have bullet setback?  Setback is the result of improper neck tension.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I use Armor-All Car Wash too. The case necks are not slippery by any means, I've seen no signs of bullet setback or creep. And, tarnish doesn't seem to crop up at all anymore.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#14]
will it work in a vibrator?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Its soap and wax so im not sure that would work out well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I did the wash and wax thing for quite a while, but ultimately settled on just using dawn/lemishine.

I now dry my brass in treated walnut. You get the clean, and the bling.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Its soap and wax so im not sure that would work out well.
View Quote
And wax applied to metal = slippery
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And wax applied to metal = slippery
View Quote
Strange the wax i apply to my sons skim board is to make it less slick so he doesn't slip off of it..  Its amazing how things can have different applications/properties.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been using the Wash & Wax from Armor All for 4 or 5 years ago now. It's excellent. Love the results. Must have gone through a few gallons of it by now.

I think the risk of galling and cold welds from absolutely clean brass (Dawn) are closer to reality than any concerns about bullet setback (Armor All).

People have been adding polish and nufinish materials to dry vibratory media for decades. Same thing. It's a microscopic layer that prevents tarnishing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Its not a slippery residue.  When you dry tumble brass it is not completely clean like wet tumbling so there is "residue" .  Does this mean you will have bullet setback?  Setback is the result of improper neck tension.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some rifle shooters will use dry lubes in the necks for a more consistent bullet pull especially if they wet tumble and have squeaky clean brass.  Proper neck tension will hold your bullets in place without set back.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
<snip>This is not GD. dryflash3
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#22]
<snip> For the last time, this is not GD. dryflash3

From the conduct code;

SPECIFIC TO THE TECH FORUMS

The tech forums (Ar15,AK47,Handgun,Armory,Training,Outdoors) are more "formal" and actions permitted in the GD forum aren't permitted there. These forums are there to share information and as a result, trolling, heated arguments,insulting others,etc won't be ignored.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#23]
So i can't ask about cleaning brass with a vibrating cleaner from harbor fright, thanks for letting me know about this rule.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Armor all wash n wax is amazing.
View Quote
Have you read the label (and MSDS sheet available on the company's website) to find out what it contains?

Are you sure you want your brass tumbling it it?

After experiencing the results over the course of several years, my decision was that I did not want Armor All anywhere near my brass.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My only glitch with such, it you don't know what that the active ingredients are, and if such is making the brass brittle isntead.

All the MSDS sheets list is that is have a PH of 8.0~9.0
http://www.armorall.com/sites/default/files/Armor%20All%20Ultra%20Shine%20Wash%20%26%20Wax%20Detailer%20%282015-06%29_0.pdf
View Quote
If he's using citric acid (lemishine) the pH of the soap is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#26]
It's all I use, I never tried Dawn with the FART. I actually measure the lemishine when it came out grey a few times. Perfect now
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Have you read the label (and MSDS sheet available on the company's website) to find out what it contains?

After experiencing the results over the course of several years, my decision was that I did not want Armor All anywhere near my brass.
View Quote
Could you be more specific?

Vaguely ominous I-know-something-you-don't-know comments like this aren't helpful.

What, exactly does Armor All contain that is bad for brass, and what were your results?
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Switched to this a while ago and I have some brass that has not tarnished for about a year now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I am on the Armor All and Lemishine bandwagon with my FART, never had a lick of trouble while processing, shooting or storage.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#30]
ArmorAll and Mothers Carnauba wash & wax are fantastic for wet tumbling.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three years, no such issues.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Serious question.
View Quote
I know my truck drives better after it is washed.  I can not explain why though.  No, it only makes us feel better.

I had read about the car wash with wax a while back.  An hour after wet tumble my brass looked kinda dull.   Wash and wax was the provided answer since the wax keeps them shining.  When I run a new batch I will be using it too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
FWIW: How much detergent are you guys adding anyhow? Someone mentioned going through gallons of the stuff. All you need is enough for the water to be sudsy - for me, that's a reasonable squirt. Anything more and you're just flushing it down the drain.
View Quote
I don't measure precisely. Perhaps 5 tablespoons worth? Enough so that when the tumbling is done, there are some suds left. So maybe 50 loads of brass per gallon?

I've been using the Armor All Wash & Wax 4 or 5 years now. I haven't really kept track but I think I'm on the 3rd or 4th gallon of it. Someone in the household might even swipe some to wash cars once in a while. I shoot a lot, many thousands of rounds per year of rifle and pistol brass for highpower and bullseye practice.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#35]
I use 2 tablespoons wash n wax and 1/4 tsp leminshine in my FART.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Seriously guys - getting into a fight over what detergent to use? Dawn and Lemishine work fine, and I'm pretty sure wash and wax is OK too. The minute quantity of either chemical is bound to be a minor issue in the grander scheme.

FWIW: How much detergent are you guys adding anyhow? Someone mentioned going through gallons of the stuff. All you need is enough for the water to be sudsy - for me, that's a reasonable squirt. Anything more and you're just flushing it down the drain.
View Quote
“we fear change” is a real attitude, brother.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#37]
So you guys are genius for bling.  I've used dawn, and lately just used Lemishine and tumbled in crushed walnut and nupolish.  Wash and wax seems to be the ticket for bling.

I'm going to see how well it holds up against tarnish.

how are you all rinsing this or dawn off?

I Flood the chamber, pour it out, and do it again.  Then tumble for another hour or when I remember to dump it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So you guys are genius for bling.  I've used dawn, and lately just used Lemishine and tumbled in crushed walnut and nupolish.  Wash and wax seems to be the ticket for bling.

I'm going to see how well it holds up against tarnish.

how are you all rinsing this or dawn off?

I Flood the chamber, pour it out, and do it again.  Then tumble for another hour or when I remember to dump it.
View Quote
I wet tumble sans media using Lemishine and Armorall WnW. Then I rinse, and do one more run with WnW, dry on a food dehydrator.  Works great.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Vaguely ominous I-know-something-you-don't-know comments like this aren't helpful.

What, exactly does Armor All contain that is bad for brass, and what were your results?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, please.  I've read through the MSDS you referenced, and I see nothing of note there.  I've written MSDS sheets before, teach Hazard Communications, and there is nothing here to be scared of, or not to be scared of.  There is nothing on this MSDS to be wary of.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#42]
i've gotten in the habit of adding a couple drops of turtle wax or other to my tumbler now.  For the purpose of leaving a thin waxy residue.  One complaint about wet tumbling I've seen is that it makes the metal surfaces too clean and pure, and that the fine dust layer from dry tumbling is actually desirable, to manage the bare metal/metal contact with the bullet.  So, I now mimic that using Turtle Wax.  Haven't done a lot of scientific testing to optimize the dose or prove that it actually works, but it makes me feel better.  I made NRA High Master doing it, so hey - I must be doing something right!  
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#43]
2 tablespoons?  Franklin tumbler? 

I use the HF rock tumblers and just a short squirt of dawn with 1/2 9mm casing of lemishine.  Shit be shiny yo!
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
i've gotten in the habit of adding a couple drops of turtle wax or other to my tumbler now.  For the purpose of leaving a thin waxy residue.  One complaint about wet tumbling I've seen is that it makes the metal surfaces too clean and pure, and that the fine dust layer from dry tumbling is actually desirable, to manage the bare metal/metal contact with the bullet.  So, I now mimic that using Turtle Wax.  Haven't done a lot of scientific testing to optimize the dose or prove that it actually works, but it makes me feel better.  I made NRA High Master doing it, so hey - I must be doing something right!  
View Quote

Truth here.  Straight wall pistol cases run through the carbide sizing die much smoother when dry tumbling.  It was quite noticeable.  I use Nu-Finish, 1/2 cap, in a smaller Dillon vibratory cleaner. Lizard bed media.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Truth here.  Straight wall pistol cases run through the carbide sizing die much smoother when dry tumbling.  It was quite noticeable.  I use Nu-Finish, 1/2 cap, in a smaller Dillon vibratory cleaner. Lizard bed media.
View Quote
Not to get too far off topic, but the two things Hornady One Shot spray lube is is good for are getting rifle cases stuck, and making pistol brass resizing effortless. :)
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Y'all have talked me into trying it.  Just bought a bottle at Walmart.

I'll even change out my walnut media that's been in the tumbler for 2 or 3 years now to start everything 'new' to see if I get better bling.  Not that what I was getting was bad with Ajax dish soap and lemishine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#48]
The cleaning isn't the issue.  I'm looking for the residual effect of the wax keeping oxidation away.  I've been putting some Nu-Finish in my walnut every so often, but I'm about out so I thought I'd try this.  Plus my car needs washing anyway.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#49]
I did this over the weekend, and it is SHINY!!!  Now to see if it wards of oxidation better than nu-finish.  Either way the ratio of two tablespoons and a 1/4 teaspoon of lemishine worked like a champ
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I really doubt there's a ton of difference either way. Most of the cleaning is provided my the mechanical agitation.
View Quote
I'll have to disagree.  I have dry tumbled cases with hard carbon deposits for eight hours +.

All the carbon didn't come off.

Soak fired cases in hot water, lemishine and dawn for an hour.  The carbon gets soft and can be scraped off with a thumb nail.

Soak, rinse and dry then mechanically agitate for an hour in a dry tumbler.  Cases come out perfectly clean and shiny.

Soaking softens the carbon and the carbon comes off much faster.

Just my experience.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top