Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2018 7:52:48 AM EDT
1. Armasight Predator-336, 2-8x with 25mm lens, 60 Hz, with FLIR Tau 2 with 17micron core (336x256)

2. FLIR Pro PTS233-320, 1.5-6x with 19mm lens, 60Hz, with FLIR Boson with 12m core (320x256)

A big question I'm trying to figure out is, absent being able to put my eye to either of these thermals, is a Boson 12m core with a 19mm lens actually comparable/better in performance and FOV to a Tau 2 17m core with a 25mm lens?

I get that the new software and Boson Core is better and smaller than the previous Tau 2 Core, but with the Predator's 6mm larger lens and more pixels (336 vs 320), is the Predator really gonna be "suck'n hind tit" vs the newer PTS233?

I'll be paying about $150 more for the PTS233 btw.  Decisions, decisions.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Whichever you can get cheaper on the EE.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
1. Armasight Predator-336, 2-8x with 25mm lens, 60 Hz, with FLIR Tau 2 with 17micron core (336x256)

2. FLIR Pro PTS233-320, 1.5-6x with 19mm lens, 60Hz, with FLIR Boson with 12m core (320x256)

A big question I'm trying to figure out is, absent being able to put my eye to either of these thermals, is a Boson 12m core with a 19mm lens actually comparable/better in performance and FOV to a Tau 2 17m core with a 25mm lens?

I get that the new software and Boson Core is better and smaller than the previous Tau 2 Core, but with the Predator's 6mm larger lens and more pixels (336 vs 320), is the Predator really gonna be "suck'n hind tit" vs the newer PTS233?

I'll be paying about $150 more for the PTS233 btw.  Decisions, decisions.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote
They should be pretty close to similar the pro has the better pixel pitch but the Predator has the larger lens which should make up for the pixel pitch.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Heineken.  I was thinking the same thing, but it'd be great to get first hand feedback on the real-world difference (if any).

Comes down to getting the PTS233 for its American Defense mount and a newer product, with likely a more robust future support and software updates.

It's not easy to ignore the traditional mindset of "larger lens-diameter is better" though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 3:37:04 AM EDT
[#4]
if you are shooting at medium to longer ranges then more magnification is a help as thermals dont have the best resolution anyway  (optical magnification i mean - the digital is of very limited use )
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... (optical magnification i mean - the digital is of very limited use )
View Quote
I have seen how bad the image gets when zooming in with these entry level thermals.  That single issue has me also looking hard at Puslar's RXQ30V because it has picture-in-picture.  Shows a thumbnail type PIP that's about a 4x magnification (but its not magnified), displayed on top of the fixed magnification picture (the view that's always displayed).

That 4x (or so) PIP on the Pulsar, which also has the reticle displayed in it, is very clear though, and def NOT pixelated, as happens with digital zoom, like you mentioned.  Very cool feature.

If I was for sure shooting within 100 yds 24/7/365, I'd just hop on the newer Flir PTS233.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top