Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 1/22/2020 11:45:24 PM EDT
I'm finally ready to buy a 50 BMG.  I shot one for the first time last year (Barrett M82A1) and it was tons of fun.  One of the funnest thing I've ever gotten to do.  I thought my 338 Lapua was awesome to shoot, but it's nothing close to what the 50 was.  I'm pretty much set on the Armalite AR-50 as I want to stay under $3,000.  I considered a Barrett M99 but to go up another $1,000 I'd want to sell something, and the only thing that'd put a dent in the price is my Steyr Aug, and I don't really want to sell that.

So as I look now, it seems like AR-50s have dried up for the time being?  Any guesses as to when they'll come back in stock places?  I've heard people say they make them in batches every so often, so based on that they should appear again.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I got mine in the gun library at Cabela's.  You just have to keep an eye out and pounce when available.  I've seen some pretty killer deals on lightly used AR-50's.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one last week here. I had it shipped to the local ffl, and was surprised it does not come with a case.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:37:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought one last week here. I had it shipped to the local ffl, and was surprised it does not come with a case.
View Quote
Nope, when i got mine years ago it came in a cardboard box like most rifles now. I bought a stinger missile case to transport it in. The looks at the range are priceless from the vets. Most civies just see a big ass green case lol
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:46:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:54:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There's a couple on Gun Broker right now OP, hopefully you're watching the thread.

@Zeebz
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up!  I saw them as I've been checking every so often.  I'm watching for them to get around $2,500.  I also emailed Armalite and they said they're machining receivers right now and should have them out to dealers by the end of February.  I have $2,700 I can blow on something right now, so I'm wondering if I should go AR-50 or split it between a Ruger Precision Rifle in 300 Win Mag and a Winchester 1885 High Wall which I really want both of them as well.

Only thing that's making me really hesitate on the Armalite is the fact that I can't shoot it often.  Most ranges around me don't allow 50 BMG, so my opportunities to shoot it are quite limited.  There's property I can shoot in on in northern Michigan, but I am only up there a few times a year.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:00:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you won't be satisfied with anything less than a 50.  I agree, there's nothing like it.  I have a big-ass 338RUM and its not in the same ballpark.  The good thing about the AR50 is they really retain their value if you end up wanting/having to sell, especially if you buy used.  The bad thing is you missed the boat on cheap reloading supplies.  8lb jugs of powder for $49, bullets for 25 cents each or less.

Get a Lee 50 reloading setup and some 750 amaxs and go nuts.

If buying one doesn't keep you from paying the rent, I say go for it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sounds like you won't be satisfied with anything less than a 50.  I agree, there's nothing like it.  I have a big-ass 338RUM and its not in the same ballpark.  The good thing about the AR50 is they really retain their value if you end up wanting/having to sell, especially if you buy used.  The bad thing is you missed the boat on cheap reloading supplies.  8lb jugs of powder for $49, bullets for 25 cents each or less.

Get a Lee 50 reloading setup and some 750 amaxs and go nuts.

If buying one doesn't keep you from paying the rent, I say go for it.
View Quote
Yeah, in a similar vein I have my 338 Lapua but I am selling that.  It's a lot of fun, but just not near as exciting as a 50 cal.  The only thing that causes me to hesitate is that I need a few more hunting rifles to round out my stable, and I don't really have anywhere to shoot it aside from one place meaning my shooting is super limited, like maybe 4 times a year with it.  I sold a lot of my collection off last year and realized I wasn't happy with downsizing, which is why I want to reacquire some more hunting rifles.

Part of me thinks it'd be better to finish rounding out my hunting rifles and get the 50 early next year when I'm set on everything I need.  I just worry about it since there's an election coming up.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top