Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2017 1:55:59 PM EDT
Anyone done this?

Modify existing or do you get a new one?

I read that this just uses Remington 700 triggers? Can anyone actually confirm ?

TIA
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone done this?

Modify existing or do you get a new one?

I read that this just uses Remington 700 triggers? Can anyone actually confirm ?

TIA
View Quote

Yes, all you have to do is look up adjusting remington 700 trigger. It has a shilen from the factory. I set mine to 4 lb.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I replaced mine with a standard Shilen and it's set to two pounds. Another guy that had one put a Jewel trigger in his. Needed to be fitted, he had to grind part of the receiver to get it to fit. Ended up with a 1/8" divot in the bottom side of the receiver.

It couldn't be seen once the stock was put back in place. This one was one of their 2 OUNCE triggers, no fingering the trigger until you were absolutely ready to shoot! Breathing heavy on the trigger would almost set it off.

Now here is a warning about the AR-50's firing pin safety. IT'S HEAVY!!! And the way the factory trigger was set up it allows you to snap the safety down without issue. I HIGHLY recommend an aftermarket trigger with an internal safety if you plan on regularly using that safety. It's so heavy that it can depress the sear and cause an aftermarket trigger to fire!

I personally found this out the hard way when someone asked if they could shoot mine. I said go ahead, ammo is over there. Next thing I know is he's tapping me on the shoulder and telling me that my rifle fired for no reason. After having to take my rifle apart to fix it, I figured out what had happened after what he explained happened when using the firing pin safety.

Owners beware, either don't use the safety, warn others about the issue or buy a trigger with an internal safety! I don't let anyone shoot it unless I explain it to them and the safety is off limits. Don't load it until you are ready to shoot, keep fingers off trigger until the same.
View Quote
Wow scary!!!

I know I don’t want it ounces light maybe like 2-3lbs vs factory setting.

I don’t have the gun yet or ever fired one but I’ll definitely be extra careful. I read the safety is a throw lever or something? Maybe it’ll make sense once I see t / use it. Can I eliminate using it at all/ not active it and simply load one at a time then throw the bolt with no finger near the trigger?

Sorry for all the rookie questions and thanks for your replies
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]
My AR-50 came with a very light and nice shooting trigger.  I would NEVER want it any lighter than it is.  As hard as the safety is to actuate, I can see it setting off a very light trigger.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wow scary!!!

I know I don’t want it ounces light maybe like 2-3lbs vs factory setting.

I don’t have the gun yet or ever fired one but I’ll definitely be extra careful. I read the safety is a throw lever or something? Maybe it’ll make sense once I see t / use it. Can I eliminate using it at all/ not active it and simply load one at a time then throw the bolt with no finger near the trigger?

Sorry for all the rookie questions and thanks for your replies
View Quote
Ive never used the safty on mine. Its not like you could flip it off with just a finger anyway like a normal rifle would do.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 1:14:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I put a 2-6 ounce Shilen trigger in my AR-50 - trigger failed while still on bench - put 2nd trigger in and it failed same way.

I put a 1.5-3 pound Shilen trigger in my AR-50 prior to a FCSA Match - it failed after 60 rounds - put in a duplicate and its still working.
But I have no faith in Shilen triggers at this time.

I talked to Timney triggers - will probably buy two as that is my standard practice.

My stock AR-50 trigger, adjusted to 1.25 pounds, worked absolutely great until I dropped the barreled action and broke the trigger off at pivot point
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 1:50:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#9]
50_Shooter

Thank you for the referral - the second Shilen 1.5-3 trigger has failed now. I will be returning both to Midway, if not over 90 days.

The spring that resets the trigger failed both times. The first one I tried to reduce trigger pull weight under 1.5 pounds and had got it down to 1.25 . It failed during a Sanctioned FCSA Match. I was able to complete the Relay by holding trigger forward with my left hand while closing the bolt with my right hand, a trick I learned during the 2012 FCSA World Championships while shooting a State Arms rifle. My adjustments may have caused the failure in both cases.

I have not disassembled either trigger, but both Shilen triggers failed the same way - trigger spring failed to reset sear. Second trigger weight was 2.5 pounds as received from factory. It has 90+ firings on it plus some dry firing on assembly bench.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Duplicate by accident.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:57:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Jewell bench rest set at 1lb.
Minor receiver work to fit it. 10 minutes with a dremel.
Made out of metal, not plastic.
Shot out two barrels and still breaks like glass.
SJC
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Jewell bench rest set at 1lb.
Minor receiver work to fit it. 10 minutes with a dremel.
Made out of metal, not plastic.
Shot out two barrels and still breaks like glass.
SJC
View Quote
Without safety correct?
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top