Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2021 1:30:26 AM EDT
I'm looking for a plate carrier up to around $150ish. I'd like to find one with good padding and honestly I'd prefer it has alot of MOLLE webbing so I can experiment more with moving things around and placement.
It'll be a for SHTF or some extreme circumstance, I want to have something with all my mags, an IFAK and maybe a pistol holster on it that I can grab and get on real quick and would be used with a rifle or possibly my shotgun. Size and weight are kind of secondary concerns
The ones I keep finding myself looking at are from either Condor, AR500 or Shellback. Really the AR500 Testudo seems to appeal to me the most.
Would like to hear feedback from anyone who has one like I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:37:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Mayflower LEPC or Ferro Slickster.  Both are slick though, not much molle on the front.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:02:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't buy AR500 or Condor. Shellback is good to go.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:20:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Pros & Cons of each? I have both an AR500 Veritas Lite & Shellback Skirmish carrier(s) on the way since my dumbass couldn't pass up a good EE deal
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:33:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy once, cry once.  Spend a little more and get a crye jpc 2.  Mine is awesomely comfy for a pc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:09:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Pros & Cons of each? I have both an AR500 Veritas Lite & Shellback Skirmish carrier(s) on the way since my dumbass couldn't pass up a good EE deal
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are those actually brands poor quality or fall apart? Uncomfortable?  Condor definitely looks like the cheap side and isn't where I was leaning anyway, but...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:52:19 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're willing to push that budget to $190, the Trex Arms AC1 is a good option. It doesn't have molle loops, but the cumberbunds come with elastic pouches for your TQs, an IFAK, radio, etc. You'd just need to buy a velcro/clip-on placard for your mags or shotgun shells.

For what it's worth, I own a Condor carrier with Botach plates, and I fully expect them to hold up to any abuse that I'll ever realistically subject them to as a civilian. But if I was still shopping for a new plate carrier right now I'd be buying the AC1 with Hesco L210's.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Condor and Ar500 are not US made, Shellback is.

Unpopular opinion here,  but condor carriers can be found for cheap and are "good enough", granted they won't be up to quality with carriers 4X the price i think they are a good bang for 50-60$, not for 100 or more. I saw more pics of it worn by soldiers than i can remember, including atleast some of Swat guys. BTW, i don't use them, i have higher quality items, but this doesn't detract from the fact that oversea made item MAY sometime be good (Tasmanian Tiger, Warrior are very popular and good brands here in Europe).

Another unpopular opinion, it looks to me that the  Slickster doesn't offer that many features for that pricetag, i'd buy other US brands like Mayflower. Same for T-rex ARms one, looks to me like that pricetag is due to they being popular and publicized items.

This is a Nice reading on what is good quality, written by respected tactical gear maker Darin Talbot (Extreme Gear Labs, EGL). https://primaryandsecondary.com/what-is-quality/

I would advise against buying something with "alot of molle webbing": i would start by planning your needs then trying to search for something that realisticaly fits them. The ar500 testudo is a very common pattern of plate carriers, with molle front, back, cummerbund and a closure flap. Look at mayflower, or Tactical Assault Gear or Shellback tactical for similar items.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy a Crye JPC.  You'll thank yourself if you ever really need to use it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#9]
My Grey Ghost Gear Minimalist seems pretty good so far. It's definitely not feature rich, and might be best with lighter plates as there's no shoulder padding.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Condor and Ar500 are not US made, Shellback is.

Unpopular opinion here,  but condor carriers can be found for cheap and are "good enough", granted they won't be up to quality with carriers 4X the price i think they are a good bang for 50-60$, not for 100 or more. I saw more pics of it worn by soldiers than i can remember, including atleast some of Swat guys. BTW, i don't use them, i have higher quality items, but this doesn't detract from the fact that oversea made item MAY sometime be good (Tasmanian Tiger, Warrior are very popular and good brands here in Europe).

Another unpopular opinion, it looks to me that the  Slickster doesn't offer that many features for that pricetag, i'd buy other US brands like Mayflower. Same for T-rex ARms one, looks to me like that pricetag is due to they being popular and publicized items.

This is a Nice reading on what is good quality, written by respected tactical gear maker Darin Talbot (Extreme Gear Labs, EGL). https://primaryandsecondary.com/what-is-quality/

I would advise against buying something with "alot of molle webbing": i would start by planning your needs then trying to search for something that realisticaly fits them. The ar500 testudo is a very common pattern of plate carriers, with molle front, back, cummerbund and a closure flap. Look at mayflower, or Tactical Assault Gear or Shellback tactical for similar items.
View Quote

Alright, I'm not here to shit on what you said, just to offer a few pointers:

Just because you see soldiers personally procuring Condor plate carriers doesn't mean they're good. In fact, they're not and I've seen several fail after moderate use while deployed. All it means is that Joe is dumb and will buy cheap stuff that looks cool because he has no eye for quality. The Joes that do and are authorized to use their own gear are 100% of the time using Crye, LBT, First Spear, etc. Personally, I bit the bullet and set up a Crye AVS prior to my previous deployment, and I was thankful for that decision every day.

Concerning carriers produced overseas: there is a major difference between gear produced in places like Israel or the UK and gear produced in China. Is Chinese gear always bad? No. Some Condor stuff, especially their apparel, can actually be surprisingly good. Is it almost always going to be vastly inferior to stuff that European militaries equip their own with? Yes. You're investing in life saving equipment. Ask yourself what your safety is worth and spend accordingly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I have two cheap carriers; Grey Ghost Gear Minimalist and LBX 0300 Modular Plate Carrier.

The GGG Minimalist is made in the US and really nice for a grab and go setup. The side straps have some hefty elastic built in so the plate carrier has some give. The plate pocket works with medium and large plates without being too bulky. I was able to fit a large SAPI in it without issue, but it also holds my 10x12 special threat high and tight in the pocket. The Minimalist is perfect for a minimal setup with two rifle mags and an IFAK. Retail on them is about $120 but if you catch a sale they can be had for well under $100.

The LBX 0300 is assembled in Peru with US made materials and is a copy of the LBT 6094 with a few minor changes like the cummerbund. It has the traditional MOLLE cummerbund. The shoulder straps are nice and padded as are the plate bags. The medium carrier fits 10x12 commercial plates perfectly. There is a strap that holds the plate high and tight. At $160 this carrier is loaded with value and can be had cheaper on sale or with a coupon. Mine is setup with 3 mags and an IFAK. Overall very happy with it and it’s comfortable to wear for extended duration.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#12]
In my experience, many, but not all, off-shore mfrs use deficient thread, which leads to premature item failure.  Impossible to visually detect.

Berry-Compliant mfrs use GTG thread, but so so some off-shore mfrs.

Defective thread material often takes some time/use to present.

Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Ar500 carriers, while lower end of the spectrum, will do the job you've requested.

I've had an ats aegis v2 for years that would fit the bill. Can be found for about 175 if you look around.

Lbx would fit the bill, too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ar500 carriers, while lower end of the spectrum, will do the job you've requested.

I've had an ats aegis v2 for years that would fit the bill. Can be found for about 175 if you look around.

View Quote
LBX is LBT offshore stuff.  I have some, and it is top notch quality.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Had a guy show up for training once, brand new clean looking PC.  It broke while he was donning it, before we ever hit the mud.  Plastic buckle on the cumber.

As I fished the Infantrymans secret weapon out of my pocket (550 cord) for a field expedient repair, I asked him thebrand, knowing his response would be......"Condor".

Not the first time I'd seen things like that.

Some of their pouches are okay.  But their PCs? No way.

Shellback is GTG.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I'm probly going to go with a Shellback, either a Skirmish or Rampage model. The Banshee is more than I'm looking to spend. Those  look good but I wish I could find a good review or video of them. Only thing with the Rampage is the snaps on the front look like they're wasting space and I don't know if the mag pouches in the cummerbund would be practical. What do the experts say?

I knew Condor was cheap but still looked at and considered them. I still think the AR500 Testudo would fit what I'm looking for better but they're out of stock everywhere and 8-10 weeks backordered.

BTW because someone mentioned it above, it seems only Shellbacks Banshee is made in the US. The Rampage and I assume probly all their lower end models are made in Chyna. The AR500 Testudo is made in Vietnam. Just FYI
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think I'm probly going to go with a Shellback, either a Skirmish or Rampage model. The Banshee is more than I'm looking to spend. Those  look good but I wish I could find a good review or video of them. Only thing with the Rampage is the snaps on the front look like they're wasting space and I don't know if the mag pouches in the cummerbund would be practical. What do the experts say?

I knew Condor was cheap but still looked at and considered them. I still think the AR500 Testudo would fit what I'm looking for better but they're out of stock everywhere and 8-10 weeks backordered.
View Quote

OP check out US Patriot Tactical. They have the Shellback Skirmish in stock, and they shipped mine out withing 2-3 days of ordering.https://www.uspatriottactical.com/shellback-tactical-skirmish-plate-carrier/shel_SBT-9020.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAuoqABhAsEiwAdSkVVP0FE5z62klFAHkOH5loXSC1IyZfs6O3Lf40Pvr3e6VMBQpyDJDKKRoCersQAvD_BwE
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#19]
So trying to decide between the Skirmish or the Rampage, in true arfcom fashion...got both

Really, the wife decided if I was getting one then she would want one. So it was her suggestion to get both and I'll just keep which ever one I like better for myself. She doesn't shoot or anything so she isn't as discerning. Just would like the protection if things do go to shit.

Also bought 4x level IV plates from LAPG. Got 10% off the plates with a code and 5% off the carriers so not bad.

If I think about it I'll post some pictures when they show up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:01:44 AM EDT
[#20]
@67cobra it sounds like you're doing things right. +1 on landing a woman who wants a PC of her own as well!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:54:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah I was a little suprised. So I thought she would want one of the real light minimalist ones with no webbing that would hold a plate and nothing else. Nope.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:11:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Any opinions on Spartan Armor?  A friend showed me his Spartan DL Concealmeant (as the name says, a covert carrier).  Had soft Lvl 3A plates in it. Not bad for $300.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Skirmish is much much more comfortable than the rampage 2.0. And cheaper....
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Shellback Banshee's are as cheap as I'll go
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#25]
The Mayflower APC Gen2 is a great option at $230 which isn't too far above your budget:
https://www.us-elitegear.com/products/mayflower-apc-assault-plate-carrier-gen-2

If what you pick doesn't have much padding, these First Spear plate padded plate backers work great and are only $25. They make a big difference on comfort:
https://www.first-spear.com/10x12-padded-plate-backer-non-ballistic

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Something with a full soft armor vest in it. I like velocity systems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top