Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2019 2:34:24 PM EDT
LGS has a used Rossi 92/44 mag for sale for $460. If its been shot you can't tell it. No scuff marks on the loading gate, or feed ramp. One little zip mark on the buttstock but other than that everything looks near perfect. Can't say I care for the cheesy safety on the top rear of the receiver but, oh well. Don't need one, no other 44's, but I've always wanted one. I've got a Winchester and a Marlin 30-30 but that's it. Worth $460?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a 357 that wouldn’t cycle. Rossi is owned by Taurus which I discovered after so no I wouldn’t recommend it. Find a Marlin or Henry.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Rossi and the chamber was bad.

Got oversized casings.

Sent it to Rossi in Miami.

Month and a half later it came back and runs like a champ!

I run it hard and it has no issues.

Lots of YouTube videos to slick it up for a soda can shim and a Harbor Freight spring.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#3]
This guy does pretty good work on Rossi 92s and sells DIY kits to smooth them out.

https://stevesgunz.com/
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine is one of my favorite guns.  They're fairly easy to thread also.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 24" barreled 92 in 44 Mag- about 4 years old- one of my favorite plinkers.  Accurate as all getout and reasonably slick out of the box.  No jams with hard cast 240 grain slugs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Rossi is great if you're willing to send it to a '92 smith to have all their problems dealt with
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 24" barreled 92 in 44 Mag- about 4 years old- one of my favorite plinkers.  Accurate as all getout and reasonably slick out of the box.  No jams with hard cast 240 grain slugs.
View Quote
Same for my 16" 44M and 357M carbines. My 44M loves my lee mold 200gr hardcast RF boolits. The 357 shoots Lee 125 RF pretty good but not as good as jacketed bullets.
The Rossi 92's have certainly had problems, accuracy, feeding ect.  Buying used would be a crap shoot that didn't have a warranty...
At $460, I'd pass since you can get a brand new one for a little over $500.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one on 45 colt that I’m happy with. They aren’t perfect, but are a lot of gun for your money. I replaced the silly safety on the bolt with a 25 acp brass. The brass bead was missing from the front sight when I got it but I don’t like brass beads so it didn’t bother me. The only other real issue I had was my rear sight elevator would move under recoil. I deepened the notches with a file.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Rossi is great if you're willing to send it to a '92 smith to have all their problems dealt with
View Quote
Never had any problems with any of mine. Most owners don't either.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#10]
My .38/.357 Rossi worked perfectly out of the box.  It's a fun little gun, and pretty nicely finished.  My young daughters enjoy shooting light .38s through it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a 357 that wouldn't cycle. Rossi is owned by Taurus which I discovered after so no I wouldn't recommend it. Find a Marlin or Henry.
View Quote
I had one in four that wouldn't feed .357, but I compared it to one that would and it was an easy fix.

I have a newer stainless one and it is very smooth, works great with .38 and .357.

Link Posted: 6/20/2019 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had one in four that wouldn't feed .357, but I compared it to one that would and it was an easy fix.  
View Quote
Just out of curiosity what was the issue?
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#13]
If your going to get one do it quick. Scuttlebutt is Rossi is dropping them
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine is about 2 years old, 16 inch carbine 44 mag. Worked great right out of the box. Heck I even like the wood, and fit and finish. The safety sucks but oh well.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a 357 and love it. Cycles a little rough but overall it's a fun plinker.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity what was the issue?
View Quote
It was casting or forging flash somewhere it shouldn't have been.  A few minutes with a file fixed it.

I have probably run through about 6 of them and only one had the issue.  If I had never tried .357, I wouldn't have known it.

Most are fairly smooth out of the box and only get smoother.  After shooting several matches with one of mine, I handed it to a Rossi plumber.  He said I could put a hammer spring in it, but it didn't need any additional work. The stainless one didn't need any break in at all.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#17]
My 44 is an LSI import, stainless Trapper.  I also have a Browning B92 and Marlin 1894, the Rossi is the most accurate of the bunch.

Attachment Attached File

I have a 357 imported by Braztech (Taurus) that looks almost identical.

Both of them have been to Steve Young’s for an action job, worth the wait and every penny.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
If true that really sucks.  Also WTF would they stop making their only firearm worth owning?
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If true that really sucks.  Also WTF would they stop making their only firearm worth owning?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if it has to do with Brazilians getting the ability to buy more privately held guns? Maybe they will be at capacity selling domestically?

That said, every Rossi I’ve been exposed to has be a good working gun.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Got a 45LC 20 stainless that I picked up used but basically unfired.  Came direct from StevesGunz.  I love shooting it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#21]
We've sold probably 10 of them in the past couple years and none that I'm aware of had issues. My buddy bought a new .44 last year and loves it, no issues, and very accurate.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a Hartford Arms which is an upscale Rossi. It's a .45 Colt and I love it. It's a gun I'll keep forever.

Link Posted: 7/12/2019 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I have 4 Rossi levers (2 38/357 & 2 45) all are great shooters.
In fact another one came up on a local board tonight so I snatched it!
Whole family loves taking them out to play
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Rossi was bought out by Taurus so production stopped while they moved from one building in Brazil to another building.  Some distributors are getting them in stock, which is a good thing as it means they are producing again. From purchasing a newer 20" carbine and comparing it to my older 16" carbine the quality is a little shabby due to damaged screw heads on the action.  Minor cosmetics so far...  I do have a much older octagon barrel EMF/Rossi and that one is a little better finished.

Waiting for the Ranch Hand '92's to grab one or a few...
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I have one of the early Braztech Rossi M92's in .357 I got in a trade.  It was assembled with leftover Rossi parts and the new sights.  Only issue I've had is the plastic mag follower hanging from time to time.  I plan on getting one of the metal ones from Steve's Guns later, a SS mag spring, and the plug to eliminate the lawyer mandated safety on the bolt.  Also, it likes to sling the brass worse than an SKS.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Never had any problems with any of mine. Most owners don't either.
View Quote
These.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:25:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I had a hankering for another 1892 carbine and found a 16” .45 Colt a couple weeks ago.
Much smoother and a nice trigger compared to Rossi’s I’ve had in the past.

I doused the action with Wilson Ultima lube and worked the action several hundred times while watching T.V. and it is even smoother now.

I gotta get rid of the buckhorn sight and get a peep. I have heard guys say that Skinner makes a peep for the ‘92 but I haven’t been able to find it on their website.
So I’ll probably get the one that Steve from Stevesgunz sells.

No issues with my Braztech Rossi, next I’m going to look for a SS one in .357.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:43:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I had a hankering for another 1892 carbine and found a 16” .45 Colt a couple weeks ago.
Much smoother and a nice trigger compared to Rossi’s I’ve had in the past.

I doused the action with Wilson Ultima lube and worked the action several hundred times while watching T.V. and it is even smoother now.

I gotta get rid of the buckhorn sight and get a peep. I have heard guys say that Skinner makes a peep for the ‘92 but I haven’t been able to find it on their website.
So I’ll probably get the one that Steve from Stevesgunz sells.

No issues with my Braztech Rossi, next I’m going to look for a SS one in .357.
View Quote
https://williamsgunsight.com/shop-williams-gun-sights/

They make a peep that fits the Rossi 92.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top