Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2018 3:57:15 PM EDT
I volunteered to go through a reserve academy so I can work with local LE as a medic since they don’t currently have any licensed medical personnel for that role. I was given an old lvl II vest but was advised to look at plates and a helmet, I’m honestly not too sure of the vest I was given anyway.

I won’t be using it all that often and need very little in the way of equipment on my PC so a lightweight, simple carrier would work (like a JPC). I was looking on esstac’s website and the weight savings on something like the Hesco 3610s is substantial vs the cheaper lvl IV plates I see and they’ll meet my expected threats. It’s a pretty significant expenditure to buy something like the Hesco 3610s but if it’s worth it then I’ll just have to figure out a way to make it happen.

I’m trying to balance what I’ll actually need vs cost but I don’t want to spend money on things that won’t perform like I need. I also have a wife and young boys at home and my wife’s one condition is that I take reasonable precautions to protect myself and I can’t really argue that.

Thanks guys.

ETA for SBD2: scope of duty is everything from supporting officers in a manhunt/search (low threat) to warrant service requiring a team (rifle threats are possible, everyone and their dog has a 30-06 and a 243). There’s an ambulance staged if it’s a higher level threat but my guys won’t have access to it immediately and I’ll need to be appropriately equipped to be there with them. I also won’t be the first guy through the door either though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If your using it for a short time and once in a blue moon, less expensive is best but if your going to be wearing for a long time on a constant basis lighter is best.  That stuff gets heavy after a while

Most threats your likely to face a full coverage 111A soft would be better choice.  If you think your going to face centerfire rounds get the level IV.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
7+ lb level IV plates are a serious drag after wearing them a while if you do not regularly acclimate yourself to the weight. Wearing them to get used to the weight and bulk is going to suck so you may not do it as much. Then when the moment to use them comes they will be an extra obstacle to overcome. Plates that are lighter are more likley to be trained with. Hesco 3610s are a very high value plate, they are worth more than the 400ish they go for and have a great array of SRT ratings that includes M855.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes yes yes
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
The only people who don't think lighter plates are worth it are the people who have never owned a lighter plate.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have steel plates with a buildup coating, I approximate that my pc and kit weighs about 20 pounds. I train and workout in it and I’m doing just fine being a dude in his mid to late 30’s. Simple answer, save some dough and get steel plates. In a perfect world, sure I’d have ceramics but I’m not using these for work or going downrange anytime soon.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have steel plates with a buildup coating, I approximate that my pc and kit weighs about 20 pounds. I train and workout in it and I’m doing just fine being a dude in his mid to late 30’s. Simple answer, save some dough and get steel plates. In a perfect world, sure I’d have ceramics but I’m not using these for work or going downrange anytime soon.
View Quote
I'm sorry but I cannot work based on this logic. Whether I'm going to serve a federal warrant or responding to a simple barricade call I am by no means placing my life on the chance that the perp isn't using a round that will penetrate steel or whatever cheap plates I have to save a couple pounds of weight. All it takes is one round to ruin or end your life.

Think really hard about getting shot in the chest. When it happens and penetrates the steel or a cheap plate that is used, are you going to care at that point that the plate weighed 3 pounds more or cost $200 more? NO! You're going to say, "thank God I paid more for an amazing plate". Same reason you wouldn't buy a Jimenez or whatever that cheap ass pistol brand is as a reliable defensive gun.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
The OP stated he needs these for work, you seem to imply that you’d get ceramics if you needed them for work, then you advise OP should get steel?  

OP, I’d suggest shelling out for the LW plates.  If you end up on a callout that last hours or tracking some asshole through the woods, you’ll thank yourself later (and really, what’s a couple hundred more bucks in the long run).  JMHO.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the Hesco's.

Hesco body armor plate hit by over 20 rifle rounds (slow motion of round impact)
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I appreciate all input but neither steel nor the pure poly plates are an option for me. I don’t need AP protection but I’m wanting it to stop the most common ammunition and calibers that can be picked up at Wal-Mart. It’s between something like the HighCom 4S17m for a cheaper but heavier level IV plate or a more expensive but lighter plate like the 3610s that’ll still stop the threats I’m likely to face.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#11]
First deployment to Afghanistan, my days were 12+ hours long, on my feet with big, heavy, issued plates.  My back was screaming at me every damn day.  My second deployment, the government decided to issue me the super thin Velocity plates, and I couldn't be happier.  Shaved a ton of weight off my kit, and now I can actually put a full day with no issues.  I don't care how much you work out, heavy plates will take its toll on your back and joints.  Invest in the lightest plates you can afford.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I’m a Medic for our SWAT team, lighter is absolutely better.

Between the stuff you’ll end up putting on your PC so you have a one stop shop, a bag you’ll carry and just the increased maneuverability it’s absolutely worth it.

Check for deals if you need to and consider Level III or III+ if AP isn’t really a concern. IV ICW also if you’re going to wear soft armor anyway.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#13]
In addition to the Hesco 3610 at a similar price point you can find the High com 3S9M which is a tad thinner but heavier and the tencate 2000 sold by AT as the STOP plate which is much thinner, but heavier. There is also a Velocity SRT plate that is available in multi curve and very thin, but only comes in 10x12 and is very heavy, though it can be found for near $300.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I appreciate all input but neither steel nor the pure poly plates are an option for me. I don’t need AP protection but I’m wanting it to stop the most common ammunition and calibers that can be picked up at Wal-Mart. It’s between something like the HighCom 4S17m for a cheaper but heavier level IV plate or a more expensive but lighter plate like the 3610s that’ll still stop the threats I’m likely to face.
View Quote
What about the HighCom 4SAS7?

Also keep in mind your plate carrier has some say in what plates you get. I don't think I could run a 3610 medium plate in my medium JPC because it is > 1" and my 10"x12" are already super tight at 0.75" thick.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#15]
JPC takes a SAPI cut. JPC can absolutely take a plate up to 1.1" thick. Whatever you do, don't get a 10x12. Get a SAPI HESCO 3610 same size as your carrier, so its stand alone, multi curved, and SAPI. If you get another brand plate make sure it is all three. If it is single curved or 10x12 dont get it. Make sure its stand alone with its own built in padding because a JPC has no padding, just a stretch material on the inside. If someone has a super tight 10x12 at .75" thick, its likely due to not getting a SAPI cut, also its likely the plate dies not ride fully to the top of the plate bag.

Whatever you do, dont get a cheap steel plate. You will regret it. You will eventually forget about the money spent on good plates and be happy with your plates for years, vs saving some money now and hatting your plates for years. Having spent money on cheap plates, it becomes even harder to justify buying new, better plates.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Read the OP again, should’ve stayed in my lane. Sorry y’all
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#17]
What are the thoughts on something like these Chinese Militech Level IV Alumina plates for someone like me who will never likely never wear them?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Two-Pieces-Set-Alumina-PE-NIJ-IV-Bulletproof-Panel-Al2o3-NIJ-4-Stand-Alone-Ballistic-Panel/128414_1511609999.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.cb3928bebKTrfI

$233 after shipping for a set of 2 plates, single curve(?), about 5.7 pounds each.

The other thread posted the video of them taking 6 rounds, from M855 thru .338 Remington Ultra Mag.
It performed really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlvegB2T0AU
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Lightweight and the best protection.

Take a step back OP and think. When it comes to this kind of work you want ALL the advantages you can get.
Your going into a hostile zone ("the unknown zone") and you don't know what you will see.
Your life isn't something you wanna cheap out on, I know money is tight and you probably won't ever use it enough to "justify" the extra $$$ but in IMO it's worth the extra $$$

I had a set of AR500 lvl3+ plates that weighed 8.5lbs each. Between the PC, plates, and pouches (no ammo/mags) it was 20.8lbs....It wasn't ideal, I made it work because of funds but now I chose to upgrade and go lightweight.

Remember OP, Pounds = Pain
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Nobody has ever regretted lighter plates.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 4:04:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What are the thoughts on something like these Chinese Militech Level IV Alumina plates for someone like me who will never likely never wear them?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Two-Pieces-Set-Alumina-PE-NIJ-IV-Bulletproof-Panel-Al2o3-NIJ-4-Stand-Alone-Ballistic-Panel/128414_1511609999.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.cb3928bebKTrfI

$233 after shipping for a set of 2 plates, single curve(?), about 5.7 pounds each.

The other thread posted the video of them taking 6 rounds, from M855 thru .338 Remington Ultra Mag.
It performed really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlvegB2T0AU
View Quote
Single curve. No.
10x12. No.

You can do 10x12 with a universal fit carrier, but you still want multi curve.

Also, you only get 9x11 coverage with a 10x12 plate. If they had a SAPI multicurve, maybe. But price will be higher, weight will be heavier. Multicurve weighs more than single. SAPI large has quite a bit more coverage than 10x12.

You are unlikely to need a rifle for self defense. Is a TAPCOed SKS with Wolf ammo acceptable to you? We are pushing a milspecish 16" midlength and an Aimpoint PRO. You make the call.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Lighter definitely, thinner as well? Even better

In my opinion, being in armor for extended periods of time - not only is lightweight nice, but having thin ass plates are the best in reducing bulk as well
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nobody has ever regretted lighter plates.
View Quote
Truth.

I paid a hell of a lot for my PBZ plates, but that's just money and I remember that fact every time I put on my PC. Even for someone who is in great shape like myself, lightweight gear makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
7+ lb level IV plates are a serious drag after wearing them a while if you do not regularly acclimate yourself to the weight. Wearing them to get used to the weight and bulk is going to suck so you may not do it as much. Then when the moment to use them comes they will be an extra obstacle to overcome. Plates that are lighter are more likley to be trained with. Hesco 3610s are a very high value plate, they are worth more than the 400ish they go for and have a great array of SRT ratings that includes M855.
View Quote
It was said in the Plate Carrier Pic thread on page 80 that the Hesco 3610's do not stop the M855.
So what is the truth?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It was said in the Plate Carrier Pic thread on page 80 that the Hesco 3610's do not stop the M855.
So what is the truth?

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what is the truth?

Thanks
I just looked through that page and didn't see where anyone said that but they've got a ceramic strike face. They stop M855, says so right on Hesco's armor series chart.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So what is the truth?

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what is the truth?

Thanks
HESCO’s site has the stopping M855 at 3117 fps.

https://www.esstac.com/product-page/hesco-3610-lvl-3-instock-set

They’re not pure poly, the ceramic strike face is key.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not sure if my Google-fu just sucks or if I just cannot find good options to meet requirements of

multi-curve (but would accept single curve if need be)
level IV
less than 6# in 10x12 size

I have found the Midwest fm4 plates, but can't find them for sale anywhere. I have found the RMA 1199 plate but nowhere with less than really 2-4 months wait time and I'm not sure I like the advertised 10x12 size but 8x10 level IV coverage.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if my Google-fu just sucks or if I just cannot find good options to meet requirements of

multi-curve (but would accept single curve if need be)
level IV
less than 6# in 10x12 size

I have found the Midwest fm4 plates, but can't find them for sale anywhere. I have found the RMA 1199 plate but nowhere with less than really 2-4 months wait time and I'm not sure I like the advertised 10x12 size but 8x10 level IV coverage.
View Quote
You're going to pay quite a bit of money for a plate like that.

There's the HighCom 4SSS2, 5.2 pounds in 10x12 shooters cut multicurve. $1460 per plate.

I'm sure there's a few other options but most of what you'll run into with specs like that are going to be special threat plates designed for Mil. use that will be very difficult if not impossible to purchase unless you have Mil. or LEO certification, and they'll all still be $900+ plates.

You can go ICW instead of standalone which will expand your options slightly but that's only good if you're also wearing soft armor.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#28]
The Protech 9812-R1 is just about the best Level IV plate out there. They're scarce, but they're really good. About 5.5 pounds, just .75" thick, multi-curve, full SAPI cut, level IV rated, and rated for five shots against such rounds as the 7.62x39mm API-BZ.  It's a solid, no-nonsense, top of the line Level IV plate. The only caveat is that it was tested to 0101.04, instead of .06. But this is probably just because it's actually a really old model, and I believe its scarcity is on account of the fact that it's no longer in production.

But the 9812-R1 can still be had for less than $800 per plate, if you look for it online.

The 1199 - in addition to its other shortcomings, some of which are truly egregious - isn't even multi-curve.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#29]
The 1199 isn't a true 10x12 plate. It has a foam ring on it; for now. AS mentioned it's single curve. I've been told the foam ring is being removed on the gen 2 model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top