Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2018 8:07:33 PM EDT
I've been trying to find an answer to this question but haven't been able to find a solid answer online. Backstory, more or less I want to get an AUG that is a clone of the ones used by the Irish Defense Force and from my research it seems like the Stg 77 or an A3 with the long rail; I've not been able to get hands on an Stg 77 so I don't know how the integrated sight would feel and apparently they've stopped making the A3 rail so that makes life harder. I've been able to find a few A3's with the rail I want but they've been black stocks which brings me to my question - can I swap a stock on an AUG to go from black to green? Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the stocks are swappable.

The Irish used the old A1 originally with 20in barrels. Green stocks.

The now mainly use the original A3 configuration with the long, high military A3 rail. Their original green A1 stocks (no bolt release like A3's).

They use 16in barrels for mounted/mechanized troopers. And 20in barrels w/ bayonet lugs for others.

ACOGs for all

To be most, 100% correct. You'll need an A1 stock (with no ability for left hand bolt (no swappable ejection cover, all solid), a1 charging handle in green. Basically the Irish just swapped their old A1 receivers for A3's. The stocks, barrels are all A1.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#2]
F/A and S/A stocks have a different shaped locking latch.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like they all have bayonet lugs (even the 16") mounted upside-down.
The triggers all have the Automatic Lock Out.
Bayonets are Eickhorn KCB-77 M1.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I did a thread on this very topic not too long ago. It took me nearly 6 months the find an early sabre defense import AUG SA with the Nato hight rail. That's the hard part.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like they all have bayonet lugs (even the 16") mounted upside-down.
The triggers all have the Automatic Lock Out.
Bayonets are Eickhorn KCB-77 M1.
View Quote
They're only upside down on the 16".  Thats because the vfg won't fold on the 16" with the bayonet mounted
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Understood, but when would a soldier need to do that? Parades?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Understood, but when would a soldier need to do that? Parades?
View Quote
I fold mine when I’m shooting off a bag.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#8]
The first thing I thought when I saw this and the perspective of the troops to the vehicle was that the Irish were arming leprechauns...
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I did a thread on this very topic not too long ago. It took me nearly 6 months the find an early sabre defense import AUG SA with the Nato hight rail. That's the hard part.
View Quote
So it seems like this might be a bit of a hard nut to crack... Maybe it might be a bit easier to go the Stg 77 route?

Since it looks like they swapped the A3 receivers into the A1 stocks - is a similar conversion even possible with civilian AUGs?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#10]
People swap the NATO stocks for the "Normal" stocks all the time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:48:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So it seems like this might be a bit of a hard nut to crack... Maybe it might be a bit easier to go the Stg 77 route?

Since it looks like they swapped the A3 receivers into the A1 stocks - is a similar conversion even possible with civilian AUGs?
View Quote
It's a doable conversion. Just expensive. But every decent rifle that isn't an AR this day and age is. Even decent ARs. Hahaha

So, your best bet is finding an early Sabre AUG SA with the high/long Nato rail. These are rare as hen's teeth but out there. A backup option to get you close is the long/high rail (same length as nato, just not as tall). Those are a bit easier to find, and at a glance you won't be able to tell the slight difference unless you really know what you're looking for.

Next you'll need to find (I recommend PJ) a green A1 stock set (including push button, vfg, ect).

And last is going to be installing the Bayo plug, again I recommend PJ for that.

The ACOG is the easy part, and not even the most expensive.

All in all, I'll be just shy of 4k into this when I'm done. However the last bit (stock) is going to have to wait. I'm headed back to Ireland in a week and well, that was my mod14 stock money...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top