Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2018 6:59:45 PM EDT
Found a Universal carbine at a local shop.  SN 374XX.  Seems to be in good shape, smooth action.  No bayonet lug or sling.  No other real info on it.

Asking price is in the $425 range.  Is this a decent price?  Is there some additional stuff I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Found a Universal carbine at a local shop.  SN 374XX.  Seems to be in good shape, smooth action.  No bayonet lug or sling.  No other real info on it.

Asking price is in the $425 range.  Is this a decent price?  Is there some additional stuff I should be looking at?
View Quote
They've been junk since they were new.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]
It's cheap enohg if all you want is a shooter, has 0 collector value, and for me, if it isn't all USGI, do not want...

Don't expect much for resale if you do buy it...
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's cheap enohg if all you want is a shooter, has 0 collector value, and for me, if it isn't all USGI, do not want...

Don't expect much for resale if you do buy it...
View Quote
Thanks.  Just looking for a wall hanger and occasional plinker.  Too poor to be an actual collector of actual collectable things.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn! Site went full auto. Must be a faulty disconnect.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks.  Just looking for a wall hanger and occasional plinker.  Too poor to be an actual collector of actual collectable things.
View Quote
In that case, its a decent deal...real carbines typically are at $800 and up....
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The early ones were built with a lot of usgi parts and might make decent shooters.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#7]
In my AO I've not seen a under $500.00 Universal of any flavor at a shop for several years so the price is OK.

One thing Universals are good for is to scope. S&K makes a simple and effective mount. I always wondered how they would be with a red dot of some flavor instead of a scope.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#8]
That's a good price. If I saw one around here for that price I'd consider buying it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's a good price. If I saw one around here for that price I'd consider buying it.
View Quote
Thanks everybody. Fent.  Won't be able to actually go out and shoot it for awhile (or even pick it up) due to other concerns that cropped up, but it's mine now, and I've already sourced the surprisingly cheap bits it's missing from Sarco.  No sling, and it's got the tiny magazine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The early ones were built with a lot of usgi parts and might make decent shooters.
View Quote
If you see one with a stamped op-rod walk away.  I guarantee you will have problems with it shooting.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 2:37:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you see one with a stamped op-rod walk away.  I guarantee you will have problems with it shooting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's what I was reading.  The consensus is that only the gen 3s had the stamped op rod.  Gen 1s had USGI surplus parts.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought one new back in '75. My son has it now - it's a decent shooter and still had some USGI parts. No real issue with it. I've got 3 USGI M1 Carbines now - a National Postal Meter, an Inland and my favorite, a Rock-ola. The M1 Carbine is one of my favorite rifles to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:44:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought one new back in '75. My son has it now - it's a decent shooter and still had some USGI parts. No real issue with it. I've got 3 USGI M1 Carbines now - a National Postal Meter, an Inland and my favorite, a Rock-ola. The M1 Carbine is one of my favorite rifles to shoot.
View Quote
Yeah, when I first saw them on the rack, I asked the guy what kind they were and he said, "Inland, I think?"  The wood had just started when he crashed it and said, "Oh, no, Universal."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top